Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA allow change away from KOA->EWR itin which includes MAX segment? [RESOLVED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will UA allow change away from KOA->EWR itin which includes MAX segment? [RESOLVED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Ok, please move this to the appropriate thread (I have no idea where this goes!). I made two separate reservations from KOA to EWR. KOA-SFO, then SFO-EWR a few hrs later. I am booked in J (paid) KOA-SFO and Y SFO-EWR (787, sitting in PY seats). KOA-SFO is a red eye on a 737 Max. Wife is flipping out, refusing to fly. Flight is late August.

Any chance UA allows me to call in and switch connections? I'd of course love KOA-HNL-EWR up front, but understand that I'll ask and be told no. But there is KOA-DEN-EWR that works. Chance they allow me to cancel my 2 reservations and turn into one in J for that routing?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'd rate it as extremely unlikely, given that the 39M fleet is currently grounded by the FAA so you will only be flying on one if it's been cleared to fly later (otherwise they'll find you a different aircraft).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm no expert on UA but I think this is going to be a tough ask. Though I would certainly ask.
August is a long way off and I'll bet the airline will respond by saying they fully expect their MAX fleet to be fully safety-certified and in service by then. And if it doesn't work out for the MAX, they'll probably either have replaced them or will offer the same kind of accommodation they're offering for changes now. But in June or July.
Also, though it might be futile, I would mention to the wife that once they get sorted out, it's likely the MAX will be under such scrutiny that it's likely to end up being the SAFEST plane flying.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The MAX 9 is 100% grounded and will not fly until the present uncertainties are resolved, And no one is going to do that until everything is triple certain.

In the meantime, another aircraft will be used. That probably will not be clear until closer to the flight. You can probably get united to cancel the flight that was MAX9 but very unlikely there will change the separate reservation,
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gold23
Ok, please move this to the appropriate thread (I have no idea where this goes!). I made two separate reservations from KOA to EWR. KOA-SFO, then SFO-EWR a few hrs later. I am booked in J (paid) KOA-SFO and Y SFO-EWR (787, sitting in PY seats). KOA-SFO is a red eye on a 737 Max. Wife is flipping out, refusing to fly. Flight is late August.

Any chance UA allows me to call in and switch connections? I'd of course love KOA-HNL-EWR up front, but understand that I'll ask and be told no. But there is KOA-DEN-EWR that works. Chance they allow me to cancel my 2 reservations and turn into one in J for that routing?
If you booked this a couple hours ago, you can invoke the USA DOT mandated 24 hour free cancel, get a full refund, and book something more acceptable. Some agents will allow you to do free changes, but technically the privilege is to totally cancel the tickets, so that any new booking would require space in the appropriate inventory buckets.

However, why risk two separate reservations? Moreover, ypically a through fare is cheaper than a broken fare, even if some segments are in a lower cabin class. In other words, do you save anything by taking part of the trip in coach?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, why risk two separate reservations? Moreover, ypically a through fare is cheaper than a broken fare, even if some segments are in a lower cabin class. In other words, do you save anything by taking part of the trip in coach?
I would expect KOA-NYC in F to be significantly more expensive that what OP booked, especially because of the premium for lie-flats and an 11-hour nonstop (HNL-EWR). OP is also getting a nice free lunch by paying for Y on the 78J and essentially getting domestic F.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I would expect KOA-NYC in F to be significantly more expensive that what OP booked, especially because of the premium for lie-flats and an 11-hour nonstop (HNL-EWR). OP is also getting a nice free lunch by paying for Y on the 78J and essentially getting domestic F.
And his wife is refusing to fly. So how much money is being saved!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's unclear to me that the reservations are within the 24-hour cancellation period. If so, cancel and book what you want.

But, do understand that the MAX won't be your aircraft until & unless it is recertified.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks all....Apologize for posting and then being offline for a few days! So.....yes, the reason I booked two separate itins is that we wanted to maximize comfort while maintaining a little restraint on cost. A relatively inexpensive F fare from KOA combined with a very cheap Y fare on a 787 where I could seat my family in a legit premium Y cabin for no cost made it considerably more cost efficient for me....

So, what UA WAS able to do for me is move me into KOA-DEN-EWR on 757's up front. This was a pure win. The combined fare buckets were somewhat close (they weren't when I booked a week or so ago for some reason) to what I paid in total for the two reservations. They waived the change fees (which would have been enormous considering it was technically 8 separate reservations), and I ended up paying a little less than $300 total for the increase in fares. This was through the 1k line, and I ended up being tossed to two separate individuals throughout the duration of a 30 minute or so call. I was told that they were sensitive to the Max issue, and that they were trying to accomodate people. I think it helped that the two flights we switched into were wide open (no idea why they were so much more expensive a week earlier, but oh well).

Originally Posted by Often1
It's unclear to me that the reservations are within the 24-hour cancellation period. If so, cancel and book what you want.

But, do understand that the MAX won't be your aircraft until & unless it is recertified.
When your wife sees a plane type crash twice in the span of two months and is flying with her two children, rational discussion about safety and regulations is fruitless. We have a good friend who is mainline UA captain and he spent a good half hour at dinner a week or so ago explaining what he thinks happened, why he thinks most experienced pilots would have corrected or recognized what was happening in time, and the fact that Boeing is going to create a fix in near term (while every pilot who flies the aircraft will be well aware of how to handle any future situations). Rational, intelligent people still had fears....probably because they cannot control it.
dmurphynj likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2019 at 8:17 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Thanks all....Apologize for posting and then being offline for a few days! So.....yes, the reason I booked two separate itins is that we wanted to maximize comfort while maintaining a little restraint on cost. A relatively inexpensive F fare from KOA combined with a very cheap Y fare on a 787 where I could seat my family in a legit premium Y cabin for no cost made it considerably more cost efficient for me....

So, what UA WAS able to do for me is move me into KOA-DEN-EWR on 757's up front. This was a pure win. The combined fare buckets were somewhat close (they weren't when I booked a week or so ago for some reason) to what I paid in total for the two reservations. They waived the change fees (which would have been enormous considering it was technically 8 separate reservations), and I ended up paying a little less than $300 total for the increase in fares. This was through the 1k line, and I ended up being tossed to two separate individuals throughout the duration of a 30 minute or so call. I was told that they were sensitive to the Max issue, and that they were trying to accomodate people. I think it helped that the two flights we switched into were wide open (no idea why they were so much more expensive a week earlier, but oh well).
So is that a 757-200 on both the KOA-DEN and DEN-EWR legs?

Huge kudos to the folks at the 1K desk for an awesome job either way!!

That’s a fabulous outcome. Having a bed for both legs makes all the difference in the world. What a fantastic way to come home from a nice relaxing vacation in Hawaii!

if you managed to get the name of the 1K agent(s), would be worth firing off an email to 1kvoice saying some nice things. Those kudos go a long way.
Dublin_rfk and cesco.g like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, what UA WAS able to do for me is move me into KOA-DEN-EWR on 757's up front. This was a pure win.
Excellent outcome! Definitely one for the bucket of "it never hurts to ask"
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmurphynj

So is that a 757-200 on both the KOA-DEN and DEN-EWR legs?

Huge kudos to the folks at the 1K desk for an awesome job either way!!

That’s a fabulous outcome. Having a bed for both legs makes all the difference in the world. What a fantastic way to come home from a nice relaxing vacation in Hawaii!

if you managed to get the name of the 1K agent(s), would be worth firing off an email to 1kvoice saying some nice things. Those kudos go a long way.
Yes- 757-2 on both legs. Fantastic outcome, no doubt. I did get her name. She was fantastic. Started off "I don't think I can help you with what you want, but let's play around to see what can be done"
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
UA deserves a lot of credit for how they handled this and for being the first American airline, when the MAX was still flying, to signal that they will wave the change fee, if pax didn‘t want to fly on the MAX.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Yes- 757-2 on both legs. Fantastic outcome, no doubt. I did get her name. She was fantastic. Started off "I don't think I can help you with what you want, but let's play around to see what can be done"
That's great customer service! A nice kudos note from you would go in her file, and go a long way. Simple stuff like that actually has an impact - which is nice to hear.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
That's great customer service! A nice kudos note from you would go in her file, and go a long way. Simple stuff like that actually has an impact - which is nice to hear.
I’m always worried a “kudos note” might get them in trouble in case they’re breaking the rules for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.