Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Using eUpgrades after paying for Premium Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

I’m new to airline status and am exploring my first 25k tier rewards as I fly.

My company is rather frugal and books the lowest fare tickets for me.

I usually pay for premium economy so that I have a little more room to use my laptop.

Let’s say that I pay for premium economy, but then chose to use eUpgrade credits to get on standby for a First Class upgrade:

If I’m selected for the upgrade, will I be refunded for the cost of my premium purchase?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Business class upgrade.

And no, no credit for paying for PY.

eUp credits required for upgrading from any PY->J classes would be less than upgrading from any Y class to J cabin.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Robbrown
I’m new to airline status and am exploring my first 25k tier rewards as I fly.

My company is rather frugal and books the lowest fare tickets for me.

I usually pay for premium economy so that I have a little more room to use my laptop.

Let’s say that I pay for premium economy, but then chose to use eUpgrade credits to get on standby for a First Class upgrade:

If I’m selected for the upgrade, will I be refunded for the cost of my premium purchase?
@Robbrown
Welcome to FT.

A couple of things:
1. AC does not have First Class. I assume you mean business class?
2. If you buy an economy ticket and you upsell/upfare by paying the difference to PE, you then own a PE ticket. Keep in mind that your original ticket fare rules apply. From there you can use your eUpgrades to try and upgrade to business. You will not get a refund for buying PE.
3. What route are you looking at (because that matters for many reasons)?

Keep in mind that on some or many routes, as a P25, your chances at upgrading to business might be "challenging", given things like more people with higher status upgrading earlier or buying more paid business class etc. e.g. the YYZ-YVR route.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:05 pm

Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by 24left
@Robbrown
Keep in mind that on some or many routes, as a P25, your chances at upgrading to business might be "challenging", given things like more people with higher status upgrading earlier or buying more paid business class etc. e.g. the YYZ-YVR route.
If OP has upgraded to PY, that's probably a good move as they'll have priority to eUpgrade to J over SE's in the regular Y cabin.

Originally Posted by Robbrown
If you truly mean that you upfared to a Premium Economy fare, then there is no refund due. You'll pay the number of eUpgrade credits required from this fare (which should be lower than regular economy) and might also avoid a co-pay. FWIW, the strategy I've used sometimes is to buy standard and try to upgrade. Co-pay often equal to the upfare to Flex and then I only pay if my upgrade clears. In my situation being SE helps, in your situation upfaring to PY will raise your priority for upgrade.

If (and I'm only saying this because you're new here so may not be up to speed on all of the terminology) you didn't actually upfare to Premium Economy, but instead all you did was pay for a premium seat (i.e. preferred seat), then IIRC you might be entitled to a refund of the premium seat charge. I believe there is a recent thread on this.
24left and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
depending on the route the number of credits needed from Y flex is the same as PY.

for Asia or Australia Y flex is the same as PY.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Sorry all, search on my phone is miserable. Just purchased an O fare for an international itinerary. Please remind me if upgrades pull from Z or P? AC91 on June 1 if someone is willing to look at availability for me. Could have sworn I saw both avail when I checked BCD but upgrade just got waitlisted and the only available seat in O was a middle bulkhead seat. No thanks.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Sorry all, search on my phone is miserable. Just purchased an O fare for an international itinerary. Please remind me if upgrades pull from Z or P? AC91 on June 1 if someone is willing to look at availability for me. Could have sworn I saw both avail when I checked BCD but upgrade just got waitlisted and the only available seat in O was a middle bulkhead seat. No thanks.

Thanks in advance.

International is based on P or R, and comes out of R.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
International is based on P or R, and comes out of R.
Thank you, sir. Thought so. I don’t love waitlisted eUps.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by LesDorgo
depending on the route the number of credits needed from Y flex is the same as PY.

for Asia or Australia Y flex is the same as PY.
Not necessarily

There are a few AC Y fares with lower eupgrade requirements.

N/E is 26
U/M is 20

They need to either make E 20 or add a new fare class to line up better with the U/M discrepancy
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:38 am

J9 c9 d8 z2 p0 r0 o0 e0 n0 y9 b9 m9 u9 h9 q9 v9 w9 g9 s9 t0 l0 a0 k0
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
J9 c9 d8 z2 p0 r0 o0 e0 n0 y9 b9 m9 u9 h9 q9 v9 w9 g9 s9 t0 l0 a0 k0
That looks like a standard load in/out of Australia these days

PE seems to be a huge hit on those routes
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:15 pm

Changed my flight to following Monday where there was oodles of R and P space. At best, reservations will change me to Saturday in business when I request it in a couple of weeks. At worst I’ll spend a weekend in São Paulo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.