Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

W or A when the price difference is staggering

Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

BEY-DOH in W is a mere $150 gets 30kg allowance
In A it's $830 and gets 50kg.

I will be flying out of DOH onwards to SYD on a separate ticket in U.

Since the price difference is this much, I am considering booking 2 separate W seats (hereby getting the allowance to cover onwards in U). Then doing a cash upgrade on one of the seats at BEY.

Sounds like a plan, but can anyone think of why this would not work?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:17 am

No passenger in a seat = no luggage allowance?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ft101
What about obese people who have to buy 2 seats?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Isn't A the fare code for discounted first class?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Isn't A the fare code for discounted first class?
It is.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
We are party of three. I can book two real passengers in W, one of them would have another in Z.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stephenjc
hahaha good point! I wonder how they book those people, I assume they will issue two boarding passes for the same person and name so the system will assume its two different people to ensure your luggage goes through as if the system thinks a seat hasn't travelled their baggage usually isn't taken on the flight!
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
hahaha good point! I wonder how they book those people, I assume they will issue two boarding passes for the same person and name so the system will assume its two different people to ensure your luggage goes through as if the system thinks a seat hasn't travelled their baggage usually isn't taken on the flight!
I thought the procedure for that involves issuing a single boarding pass with the second seat blocked.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by stephenjc
Only one luggage allowance allowed I believe.

Originally Posted by edy4eva
We are party of three. I can book two real passengers in W, one of them would have another in Z.
I'm still of the opinion that the extra seat/ticket does not get you another luggage allowance, same as the POS example.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
There are several ways to get more checked luggage allowance :
1- If any of the traveller has a QR or oneworld status, he will get extra 10 kg for QR silver (no extra for other oneworld airlines ruby status) or 15 kg for saphire or 20 kg for emerald
2- Pay for excess luggage. In your case, 20kg extra would cost $240 as it's $12 per kg (if payed in advance otherwise $15 per kg at the airport) from middle-east to middle-east according to QR chart.
3- Upfare your ticket to first class by paying the difference between first class price and your eco ticket price (which costs you the same as buying a first class ticket in the first instance, unless you get a promotional fare)

Upgrading your ticket with Qmiles or Qcredits or pay for a cash upgrade offer at OLCI or received by email won't give you the first class checked luggage allowance but only the initial W ticket allowance.
I don't know what rule applies to cash upgrade offers at airport but you'd better ask in advance...

And don't forget to count your carry on allowance : 7 kg in eco, 15 kg in biz and first.
Unlike the checked luggage allowance, carry on allowance doesn't seem to be limited by the original ticket class in case of an upgrade. It could help you to save some extra luggage fee...

I guess your DOH-SYD U tickets are award tickets (which give you the biz checked luggage allowance) and not eco upgraded to biz tickets (which only give the eco checked luggage allowance) : in both cases, you can check your luggage allowance with Manage My Booking on QR website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.