Wiki Posts
Search

SYD Connection: DL D1 to VA Domestic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
SYD Connection: DL D1 to VA Domestic

Flying DL D1 LAX-SYD and then VA economy from SYD-HTI (Hamilton Island) on SEPARATE tickets. I've researched the Sydney travel forums and it appears transfers from the International terminal to the domestic terminal are provided if you're connecting from a DL flight to a VA flight. Can someone confirm? Also wondering what the experience is like transferring from the International terminal to the domestic one if anyone has any stories they would like to share. Will have a little more than 3 hours to connect. Thanks!

OPS
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Yes there is a Virgin Domestic/International shuttle that you can use. It is extremely slow and subject to the same out-of-the-airport traffic which is problematic if there's AM rush hour traffic, but it will get you there. Last time I took this shuttle, we went on some weird detour where we had to drive through the EmuBlue carpark -- ...?! Anyway, with 3 hours you won't have a problem.

Other options include taking the train from the International terminal to the Domestic terminal - this costs $$$. Or take a taxi. With 3 hours the shuttle is a no-brainer.

The shuttle takes you OUTSIDE the security area, however Australian airport security is a delight compared to the US. It rarely takes more than a couple of minutes.

When you arrive in the domestic terminal, go up the ramp near the "Virgin Premium Valet" signs and enter the lounge. You can clear security there as a Delta DM and there's rarely a line.

You can re-check any bags you may have outside of the customs / immigration area, even if it's on different itineraries. I've done this many times before, just let the person know.

You're entitled to use all Gold/Platinum lines as Delta DM.

Enjoy Hamilton Island. It is beautiful.
CPMaverick and mattya9 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
You have to clear customs and get your bag at SYD to screen and re-check in the same manner as arriving in the US (would be the case even if on the same reservation).

Once you go through customs you turn left and at the end of the hall is a big sliding door that says Virgin Australia domestic connections.

You walk through, recheck your bag, hop on the shuttle, and go directly to the domestic terminal. Traffic is a PITA but 3 hours should be sufficient though I wouldn't dawdle.

Separate tickets shouldn't be an issue at all -- my last trip I ended up flying UA J down (was able to upgrade with miles) and then connected to VA Y and had no issue with the above or with getting on shuttle (and all international arrivals pool to the same immigration hall)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
The other posters have it spot on.

There are two keys to making the transfer more efficient.
- Make sure you turn left after customs (but BEFORE you leave the secure area) and go through the 'Virgin Domestic Connection' exit door. This will put you right in the queue for your bag recheck and shuttle ticket.
- When you arrive to the VA domestic terminal, don't go inside the regular door but walk in the direction of traffic towards the 'Virgin Premium Entry'. Show the agents your BP and this security will take you directly into the lounge.

If you are traveling domestically inside Australia beyond HTI, note that you do have lounge access on any VA domestic flight. So take advantage where VA have lounges.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
- When you arrive to the VA domestic terminal, don't go inside the regular door but walk in the direction of traffic towards the 'Virgin Premium Entry'. Show the agents your BP and this security will take you directly into the lounge.
The OP says they are on separate tickets and it depends on whether DL can get him the VA boarding pass in LA.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
What if you are connecting to qantas? VA doesn’t fly to ALice springs. I know qantas isn’t a partner.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The OP says they are on separate tickets and it depends on whether DL can get him the VA boarding pass in LA.
OP does not need his VA boarding pass (SYD-HTI) at LAX and this will not impact his ability to use the VA transfer desk. I've connected through SYD on a single DL itinerary as well as separate (DL/VA) and the procedure is identical.

You just follow signs for the VA transfer desk (photo from 2018) where they will print your boarding pass and give you a bus transfer slip.

Once at domestic T2 you can use the VA premium entry since DL DM translates to VA Platinum. Also note that your boarding pass will likely say Zone 2 (all my domestic VA itineraries come out that way) but you can use priority boarding lane as "partner platinum" should be listed below the zone number.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spryam
What if you are connecting to qantas? VA doesn’t fly to ALice springs. I know qantas isn’t a partner.
Same deal you just follow the sign to QF Domestic Arrivals (pictured in post above) and take their bus. All international arrivals funnel to the above
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Whether or not the OP has a ticket in hand or not has absolutely no relevance to my advice. Anyone can walk through the VA transfer exit door. There is no requirement to be checked in or have a boarding pass. If you are on separate tickets VA will happily check you in at these counters and provide a bus ticket.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Great information everyone! Thank you! I didn't think I would have access to the lounge though. My wife will be with me. Will she have access too if she's on the same VA itinerary? She's a GM with DL.

OPS

PS - Slight side note off the DL forum but anyone have any recommendations of things to do/see at HTI? I've already got a round of golf planned. We'll be there 3 days.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mattya9
Great information everyone! Thank you! I didn't think I would have access to the lounge though. My wife will be with me. Will she have access too if she's on the same VA itinerary? She's a GM with DL.

OPS

PS - Slight side note off the DL forum but anyone have any recommendations of things to do/see at HTI? I've already got a round of golf planned. We'll be there 3 days.
Yes your wife will be allowed in.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Whether or not the OP has a ticket in hand or not has absolutely no relevance to my advice. Anyone can walk through the VA transfer exit door. There is no requirement to be checked in or have a boarding pass. If you are on separate tickets VA will happily check you in at these counters and provide a bus ticket.
Just given your steps it seemed like you had him checked in in LAX already.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by mattya9
VA Platinum gets 3 guests. VA Gold gets 1 guest.

Delta DM is equivalent to Partner Platinum, which should receive 3 guests (I haven't tested this, but pretty confident).
Delta PM and GM are equivalent to Partner Gold, which receives 1 guest (I have tested this and it works).

So your wife would be fine, in fact you could probably bring in 4 guests between the two of you!
mattya9 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You can certainly use the gratis transfer bus when traveling on un-mated tickets. Have done CX-to-VA a couple of times and the VA agent checked our bags and printed BPs withour a murmur. It works fine, but the desk location is a bit counter-intuitive / obscure and I wonder how many transit pax miss it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Copy all. Thanks again for the information everyone!

OPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.