Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeem AAdvantage Awards Using China Southern Airlines / CZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Redeeming AAdvantage MileSAAver Awards on China Southern Airlines

See the details on this page on aa.com.

AAdvantage miles awards on China Southern do not show on aa.com. Awards must be secured by calling American. No telephone charges are made for awards that can not be secured online.

Member stephem has shared CZ award fare buckets include: F First; O Busines, S Premium Economy (for when AA makes PE available on other than AA) and X Economy. These can be searched for using ExpertFlyer.

See the aa.com award chart here. (Awards redeemed for CZ must be MileSAAver awards.)
See details of MileSAAver awards here: HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
See detailed rules for airline partner awards here: AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

As of 20 March 2019, AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to secure MileSAAver awards on non-oneworld airline partner China Southern Airlines.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Very nice. Too bad first class award is not available now.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Just got off the phone with an agent and they didn't even know about it Not a lot of dates available, according to them.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gosha83
Just got off the phone with an agent and they didn't even know about it Not a lot of dates available, according to them.
What we have to learn (and add to the Wiki) is what the award fare classes are and where we can find the award seat availability reported. CZ awards can be seen on ExpertFlyer, but as with all awards we will get the information. Kind of like for Etihad calling Fiji, etc.

And with this rolling out today, I expect some AAgents may not be aware, not know how to search, or even to care and just feed us stuff like “you can’t, they’re not part of oneworld” and the like.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 20, 2019 at 11:16 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
It looks like CZ uses the following buckets for awards X- eco, O-biz and F-first.
When I collected DL miles a while back I had some good luck finding multiple (sometimes as many as 5) biz seats on the A380 LAX-CAN flight. But I did some quick searches now and dont see that to be the case any longer.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:17 pm

It is Business Class awards not available for the rest of the year from the USA?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
As of 20 March 2019, AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to secure MileSAAver awards on non-oneworld airline partner China Southern Airlines.
And, irony of ironies, CZ awards are still available with Delta miles. LAX-CAN in coach comes with a $104 carried-imposed surcharge with DL miles at the moment.

If you're thinking of trying to use delta.com to find awards that may be available with AA miles... just poke a stick in your eye. It will be more satisfying. (Just kidding.)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by stephem
It looks like CZ uses the following buckets for awards X- eco, O-biz and F-first.
When I collected DL miles a while back I had some good luck finding multiple (sometimes as many as 5) biz seats on the A380 LAX-CAN flight. But I did some quick searches now and dont see that to be the case any longer.
My random check of J award availability from SFO, LAX and JFK also returned a bunch of donuts.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't know if AAdvantage will implement CZ blackout dates the same way Delta has but one might consider it when checking for award availability.

Delta's CZ blackout chart:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rules.html/#um
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No business available

Try to book lax-can-syx in September in business.
searched using CZ sky pearl program, wide open availability every day.
searched using delta, wide open pretty much everyday with multiple flights available each day
called AA, talked with a few agents, no seats available at all each day in September even for the lax-can segment. The agent did find one coach seat available on one day though, and she seems need to request CZ to release that seat to her, which takes only a few minutes.
Old May 4, 2019, 12:44 pm

Just booked an award ticket (X economy) from LAX-CKG on CZ for 10/2019. I checked KLM and Expert Flyer for award space and both were showing it. Called AA in the US a few times and they weren't able to see any space, then called AA Australia and they booked it no problem.
JDiver and allset2travel like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2019 at 8:32 am Reason: Add bold for emphasis
Old May 15, 2019, 12:12 am

F available after Jun 1

For what it's worth, I've failed to book F using Aadvantage in the USA (will be available after Jun 1, agents can see it now but not 'grab' it, this was confirmed to be in the notes by more than one agent) and one agent found X for economy, got ready to pull the trigger, agent hung (accidentally) up on me, and then the next agent couldn't find it (also not using direct method). I don't know where it went wrong. Calling AUS they failed to find availability in X but saw F, however also couldn't ticket it. Agent found X availability on the other daily LAX - CAN flight, but agent couldn't complete the booking or hold it because it won't price. Agent tried manually pricing it, still no go.

So CZ is a huge cluster right now. I seriously doubt things will majically get better Jun 1.

Last edited by wyogold; May 15, 2019 at 1:01 am
Old May 21, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Delta shows CAN-LAX available but AA doesn't show it (I've tried 5 calls). Not sure if its an agent issue (lack of training) or AA genuinely doesn't see the space. Called Australia and the agent was adamant that CZ is not a partner, so had to hang up.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by zakami
Delta shows CAN-LAX available but AA doesn't show it (I've tried 5 calls). Not sure if its an agent issue (lack of training) or AA genuinely doesn't see the space. Called Australia and the agent was adamant that CZ is not a partner, so had to hang up.
6 more call today and no luck. The space on DL/AF does not match up to what AA sees.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: American Airlines
Just searched random 7 day periods on Expert Flyer every month between now and EOS (LAX-CAN route) and couldn't find any CZ business (O) award space. Seems to be plenty of X and some F, but not a single J to be found.

I don't understand why, though that doesn't mean there isn't a reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.