Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Y bistro item while in J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
Getting Y bistro item while in J

Morning all, last week I flew on AC from MSP to YYZ. I'm UA*G (MP 1K) and got upgraded to J class, was very surprised by that but can't complain.

Meal service was a smoked salmon, this is literally the only thing I don't eat (any form of cooked salmon) so I asked the FA if I could get the soup from economy. He agreed, brought me the soup and charged me for it ($4).

I honestly don't care because I was planning on buying this soup sitting in Y and my company pays for it. I was just surprised by this, never had to pay for anything from Y while sitting in J on United.

Is this normal service level on Air Canada?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by kiloohm
Yes, it is SOP, AFAIK, to charge J for Y food on AC, but quite often YMMV.
acse17 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:11 am
5mm
Suspended

Morning all, last week I flew on AC from MSP to YYZ. I'm UA*G (MP 1K) and got upgraded to J class, was very surprised by that but can't complain.

Meal service was a smoked salmon, this is literally the only thing I don't eat (any form of cooked salmon) so I asked the FA if I could get the soup from economy. He agreed, brought me the soup and charged me for it ($4).

I honestly don't care because I was planning on buying this soup sitting in Y and my company pays for it. I was just surprised by this, never had to pay for anything from Y while sitting in J on United.

No, I order from Y all the time well sitting in J. The actual rule is to charge pax, but most FA’s will not charge. The very few times I get charged(1 out of 100), if I’m flying paid J, I email AC about being charged and they credit my card back.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
From the J meal master threads, IIRC, @ACYYZ/SD stated that it was/is SOP to charge J pax for Y food. But I could have misremembered.

I also have never been charged in J, but have seen others get charged in J (and often complaining about being charged). Also, FTers here have posted about being charged in J for Y food.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AC 50K; Marriott Titanium
That's all good, it wasn't paid J so I wouldn't complain for sure, was just surprised.

Maybe it's because I'm used to United giving 1K a food and a drink item when sitting in Y so I haven't paid for anything onboard for a while.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe it's because I'm used to United giving 1K a food and a drink item when sitting in Y so I haven't paid for anything onboard for a while.
I'm sure SEs here wouldn't mind this on the AC side as well.
RangerNS and lcohen999 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
If I have used a Promo Code or buy a Lat fare where Y meal is included the FA will bring me Kit Kats, snacks from the back for no charge

I guess because I have paid for it but then upgraded to J
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm

No, I order from Y all the time well sitting in J. The actual rule is to charge pax, but most FA’s will not charge. The very few times I get charged(1 out of 100), if I’m flying paid J, I email AC about being charged and they credit my card back.
I'm get charged less often than I don't get charged, but that's only because I tend to say something like "I have to pay for food in business class?", but I still end up paying maybe 25% of the time. I've found in recent years that it's less likely I'd have to pay. A week ago, while flying YYZ-YYC on a narrow-body, the passenger beside me didn't want the meal, but asked if there were cheese and crackers, and was brought some from the back, no charge.

That being said, MSP-YYZ is not mainline, which could further complicate any data we have on this for mainline.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone have luck getting a "craft" beer selling in Y to the J cabin (gratis) on NA routes?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by acysb87
Anyone have luck getting a "craft" beer selling in Y to the J cabin (gratis) on NA routes?
My previous post applies to everything from drinks to snacks to meals in Y.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My previous post applies to everything from drinks to snacks to meals in Y.
On two separate occasions no luck in getting FAs to bring Craft beer from Y to J. Apparently , not available to J guests
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

I think I've only been denied entirely one time. The more frequent case is that they ask for payment.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yes, it is SOP, AFAIK, to charge J for Y food on AC, but quite often YMMV.
This is consistent with my understanding (and experience). I would estimate I end up getting charged slightly below 50% of the time.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.