Wiki Posts
Search

Security for JAL to BA transfer at FRA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Security for JAL to BA transfer at FRA

I'm off to Japan in a few weeks flying via FRA in both directions. Whilst I'm in Japan I would like to try and pickup some Whisky either in country or at duty free at NRT, my question is, when I transfer in FRA on the way back will I need to clear security again or are all non-shengen to non-shengen transfers airside? I looked on the FRA site and it wasn't terribly clear.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
You’ll reclear security
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
TIAT (The duty free sales operator for HND and other Japanese airports) claims they provide STEB (Secure Tamper-Evident Bags): https://duty-free-japan.jp/haneda/en...e/carryon.aspx

So if the German security screening accepts the Japanese STEB then you will be OK to buy airside at NRT.

Anyone know if they do?

If you buy in Japan, you'll need to check it in to keep it during the transfer at FRA.

Or transfer via AMS instead of FRA, their new bag scanners (in AMS T3 departures at least) allow you to bring any liquid container through security. It's great.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
TIAT (The duty free sales operator for HND and other Japanese airports) claims they provide STEB (Secure Tamper-Evident Bags): https://duty-free-japan.jp/haneda/en...e/carryon.aspx

So if the German security screening accepts the Japanese STEB then you will be OK to buy airside at NRT.

Anyone know if they do?

If you buy in Japan, you'll need to check it in to keep it during the transfer at FRA.

Or transfer via AMS instead of FRA, their new bag scanners (in AMS T3 departures at least) allow you to bring any liquid container through security. It's great.
Thanks, unfortunately FRA is all booked, I guess I will just have to buy gallons of whiskey in country and check the bag, it's a hard life.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlander

Anyone know if they do?

In my experience they do.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
[QUOTE=flatlander;30908591]TIAT (The duty free sales operator for HND and other Japanese airports) claims they provide STEB (Secure Tamper-Evident Bags): https://duty-free-japan.jp/haneda/en...e/carryon.aspx

At NRT they don't just claim to, they actually do. They will ask what your end destination is, look it up in their A4 folder and provide a STEB if it says to do so.
This being Japan, they will check every single time, for every single passenger, regardless that they know the answer by rote

Can't answer whether FRA will accept them!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by LBP2
At NRT they don't just claim to, they actually do. They will ask what your end destination is, look it up in their A4 folder and provide a STEB if it says to do so.
This being Japan, they will check every single time, for every single passenger, regardless that they know the answer by rote
Ah, very good.Occasionally websites are out of date or show the promised future rather than the actual present, so it's good to know that STEB bags in Japanese airports are actually present.

I'm sure if they intend to provide them it will be done with great attention to detail in a precisely-defined process. I would expect no different in Japan
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I think I found the answer after much digging on the frankfurt airport site
- Duty-free merchandise belong in a special sealed, tamper-evident bag (STEB)
Duty-free items purchased in shops after you pass through the boarding pass check or on board an aircraft may be carried through the security check if they are enclosed in a transparent special bag (known as a STEB) that has been sealed by the sales clerk. This bag must contain a receipt that indicates the date and place of purchase and can be read from the outside. This ensures that you can change planes at other EU airports without any hassle when carrying duty-free merchandise. It’s also important to keep the bag closed and sealed until you reach your final destination. This applies to security checks at Frankfurt Airport and all other airports in the EU, Norway, Iceland, and Switzerland.
There is no limit on the number of duty free bags that you may carry on board. Please observe the applicable customs and import regulations.
At the airport security checkpoint, please present all items separately: carried liquids, aerosols, and gels (in a one-liter bag), medical and dietary liquids and foods (including baby food), and duty-free items in one or more sealed STEBs. This will speed up the check.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Buying alcohol at standard liquor shops in Japan can also be very cheap, and will have a far greater range than at the airport. Many will also do duty free. Then you can pack it in your checked baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.