Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Transfer from LH to BA in MUC - is 1h enough?

Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC

Next Friday I will have to change flights in MUC, and for a couple of reasons (T5 FT arrivals + earlier LHR arrival) will transfer from LH for the Schengen sector to BA for the non-Schengen sector, with a scheduled 65m transfer window. I will have a flexi J BA ticket.

Although I've been to MUC a few times, I am not overly familiar (other than remembering the strange walk from the train, the odd fast-track security and the sometimes strange boarding arrangements) and I am struggling to work out whether the planes will arrive at the same terminal and whether 65m to go through passport, security and reach the gate is doable. Also suspect the LH arrival will be a prop so might be bussed.

I will be on a flex ticket and there is another flight so not the end of the world (save for what I recall a rather quotidian lounge!) but grateful for any advice from FTers more familiar with MUC...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:44 am

LH operates to/from T2 whereas your BA flight will depart from T1. The above described connection would be pretty tight in my opinion but, provided all on-time, you should be okay (there's a shuttle bus connecting the 2 terminals every 15 minutes). Also, it is not uncommon for 'regional' jets (mostly Embraers) to dock at a gate in MUC, meaning that you may be saving some time.

G
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You can either walk it, using the landside walkway, it takes about 10 minutes once landside, or you can take the shuttle bus airside. I think think this takes you to the C gate area of Terminal 1 since you would be in Schengen. Then you can walk over to 1A, BA's gate area, and exit Schengen there. I've a feeling there isn't going to be a lot in it, time wise, personally I would probably walk rather than discover I've just missed the bus.

MCT at MUC is 30 minutes, and is viable mostly, but if you have a Same Day Change ticket, bearing in mind there is a 1 hour cut off to make changes, personally I would book for the later flight, but not check-in so that if you can see you've made it you can SDC on the App just after you have landed.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
MCT at MUC is 30 minutes
I'm fairly sure that relates to 'standard' transfers within the same terminal (and connecting at MUC T2 is generally speaking a walk in the park). Otherwise, I agree with your suggestion to book the later flight just in case.

G
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
I'm fairly sure that relates to 'standard' transfers within the same terminal (and connecting at MUC T2 is generally speaking a walk in the park). Otherwise, I agree with your suggestion to book the later flight just in case.

G
For LH to BA over the two terminals it's 45 minutes, if on a BA issued ticket. However actually it's irrelevant, in the sense that MCT only applies to connecting tickets on one PNR, and though the OP wasn't clear about this, the wording suggests 2 tickets.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

the wording suggests 2 tickets.
This is correct.

The BA ticket will be (I think) fully flexible. Does that make a difference with SDC?

Either way the idea of booking the later flight and changing if available sounds it might be a good idea.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
The BA ticket will be (I think) fully flexible. Does that make a difference with SDC?

Either way the idea of booking the later flight and changing if available sounds it might be a good idea.
Yes, SDC and flexible are different. If it's a Plus fare or a simple CE fare it will have SDC, If the BA ticket is linked to other travel it may be flexible on one level but it may not be free of charge. It's a big and complex area so I think we would need more details as to the ticket in that respect.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:41 am

I'd agree with that strategy. 60 mins sounds tight on separate tickets, and leaves too much reliance on flights being on time, inbound coaching stands etc. At least you seem to have no hold bags as MUC can be very slow in my experience..
The pedestrian route between terminals is a pain - they badly need a Singapore type transit or just a good people-mover. Strange really, but I've always found the airport less user friendly than the sleek modern design leads one to expect.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
I've always found the airport less user friendly than the sleek modern design leads one to expect
I would tend to agree when it comes to connecting between T2 & T1 (and vice-versa) however, for transfers within the same terminal (indeed Lufthansa/Star Alliance, including Schengen to non-Schengen and the other way round), Munich is arguably amongst the best (if not the best) airports in Europe.

G
rossmacd, malmostoso and lhrpete like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:17 am

Yes, sorry - I was talking about inter-terminal transfers specifically.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Hi

That sounds very tight - especially security and passport control can be a bit messy (long delays happened to me at the entrance of the B/C Gates). Also worth to mention that luggage check in for BA is now in Terminal A and you need to walk to B/C (rather strange I know - not sure if that has changed again but I doubt it). Your flight might depart from B but security/ passport control is sometimes closed there and you need to go via C.

You might have a problem at security if - happened to me a few times - if there is an Emirates and/ or Qatar flight departing the same time with you at C (fast track will be pointless as you have too many business travellers). Hint: There is now an additional security lane (upstairs!) at Terminal C (just go up the escalators) which is a bit of a secret and normally quite empty. From there you can walk over to the B terminal if required (about 5min with a separate passport control airside).

I would strongly recommend to rebook so you can visit the excellent Airbraeu Wirtshaus (a local restaurant) brewing its own beer/ weissbeer which is very good and EUR2,70 for 0,5 litres (as a Bavarian I know what I am talking about, I am stopping there before every flight to London You'll find it between T1 and T2.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
You can either walk it, using the landside walkway, it takes about 10 minutes once landside, or you can take the shuttle bus airside. I think think this takes you to the C gate area of Terminal 1 since you would be in Schengen. Then you can walk over to 1A, BA's gate area, and exit Schengen there. I've a feeling there isn't going to be a lot in it, time wise, personally I would probably walk rather than discover I've just missed the bus.
The problem is that the line for security in T1 can get quite long. On occasion, I had wait times of 30+ minutes in the prio lane (that was at the T1A check point). Hence, I would suggest taking the bus.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by newflya
The problem is that the line for security in T1 can get quite long. On occasion, I had wait times of 30+ minutes in the prio lane (that was at the T1A check point). Hence, I would suggest taking the bus.
I agree on that - minor issue is that OP will wait (most likely) by himself downstairs without any staff available so he/ she needs good nerves

I was there several times and thought I am at the wrong exit/ door/ floor as there was no one for 15mins or so.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Yes, SDC and flexible are different. If it's a Plus fare or a simple CE fare it will have SDC, If the BA ticket is linked to other travel it may be flexible on one level but it may not be free of charge. It's a big and complex area so I think we would need more details as to the ticket in that respect.
These are the ticket 'Fare Conditions' (I am yet to book...)

"Changes
Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for the difference in fare. Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability.

If you want to cancel your flight
If you cancel a refund is permitted, subject to recalculation of the fare for any journey flown. Following a change, any previous non-refundable fare amounts remains non-refundable. There are no cancellation fees."

Unless this means something specific, perhaps I should call BAEC to ask whether a no-show means forfeit or rebooking. I do wish ticketing was clearer...!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi

I would strongly recommend to rebook so you can visit the excellent Airbraeu Wirtshaus (a local restaurant) brewing its own beer/ weissbeer which is very good and EUR2,70 for 0,5 litres (as a Bavarian I know what I am talking about, I am stopping there before every flight to London You'll find it between T1 and T2.
If, as has been kindly recommended, I book the later flight and don't manage to change then this sounds an excellent option to pass the time - certainly better than the BA lounge!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.