Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Missing a leg on multi carrier avios redemption ticket - one PNR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond

Hi, i’ve searched but not sure i’ve found an answer, so hopefully someone knows....

i have a avios redemption coming up, JFK>HKG>BKK>KUL>HKG>JFK, with 2 days stopover in BKK and 6 days stopover in KUL.

if i miss the BKK>KUL leg, eg i decide to stay another night in BKK and fly to KUL on a cheap AirAsia flight (assuming i cant find a redemption seat nearer the time).... a few questions:
- would this cause an issue with my KUL>HKG>JFK leg? ie would the ticket be null & void due to no-show on BKK>KUL leg,
- do i have to ring up BAEC to cancel BKK>KUL leg at least 24hrs before (and pay change fee), and would this have an impact on my return leg
- any other thoughts?

all booked under one PNR, but JFK>HKG>BKK on CX, BKK>KUL on MH, and KUL>HKG>JFK on CX.

thanks
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:49 pm

If you miss a flight, subsequent sectors on the PNR are likely to be cancelled. Call BA at least 24hrs ahead (preferably before leaving on the first sector) to see if you can delete a sector (or perhaps even put that sector under a separate PNR) without losing the whole booking, or even better, why not just ask them now?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Good point. I’ll call tomorrow. I wasn’t really thinking when I booked it, because I wanted to get the full trip in under 20k miles which is 200k Avios in J.

That said, separting that trip out means it becomes a single carrier award (more than 200k Avios) + separate redemption BKK>KUL leg. I’ll probably have to find another carrier, maybe JL on one of the outbound or return leg to qualify under multi carrier award redemption.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:09 pm

Strategy depends on when you'll decide - there's obviously no point in separating out the sector if you definitely won't use. Also be careful about leaving it to the last minute as Air Asia fares might go up. If you want to remain flexible, it's sometimes worth buying an early peanut fare on the low cost carrier and throwing away if not needed. Also check TG and MH as often competitive with Air Asia.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

thanks, I don’t mind booking a separate redemption ticket for BKK>KUL as it has availability now (as a throwaway strategy, and if I cancel 24hrs before I get my Avios back).

I think key for me is either:
- I stick with my 2 day schedule and follow the booked itenerary, or
- back to drawing board to work into a multi carrier award redemption excluding the BKK>KUL flight

the issue is CX has most availability for long haul so fitting the BKK to KUL flight was part of the strategy to qualify for multi carrier award (and save a lot of Avios!)
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:54 pm

Fine, but if you have already booked and might want to remove a sector, check with BA now. If they have to cancel and re-construct, there might not be availability on the remaining required sectors and it's unlikely there will be if you leave it until minus 24hrs. Best of luck!
Zeeww likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
Why remove it? If doing so means you are no longer multi-carrier, why not just push it back a day (instead of booking an AirAsia flight) if there's availability.

Alternatively, move it to the very end of your itinerary (even weeks after then - whenever there's availability) then miss the flight. Won't matter if you don't fly it, if it's the last leg.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Spoke to BA, long and short of it is i am leaving it as it is. They wont be able to confirm what would happen to the ticket should the middle leg is missed, and I couldn’t make that leg at the end of my itinerary because I need to get back to JFK.

with all that hassle, i’ll Have to make do with the current decision of 2 days in bkk, and yes there is availability if i want 3 days now (for £35 change fee) but it’s not worth reticketing the whole thing again.

thanks all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.