Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Fare Upgrade Priority Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Delta Fare Upgrade Priority Question

I understand that Delta does upgrades prioritized by a specific order, primarily prioritized by your fare. How does it work in a scenario where let's say:

1. I book an X fare for $260 to my destination

2. Another Medallion member of the same status books a T fare for $230 on the same route

In the above scenario, T fares are typically higher priority as I understand it, but how does Delta deal with T fares that ended up cheaper than X fares?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's fare class, not fare paid.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...es.html/#clear
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Somewhat contradictory to what you're saying: "Fare Class Groupings: higher-priced fares are ranked above lower-priced fares"

So is it first prioritized by the fare bucket, then the price of fares within that bucket? In my example above the cheaper T fare would win?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Cameron B
Somewhat contradictory to what you're saying: "Fare Class Groupings: higher-priced fares are ranked above lower-priced fares"

So is it first prioritized by the fare bucket, then the price of fares within that bucket? In my example above the cheaper T fare would win?
Historically the price of the fare did not matter, it was strictly by fare bucket. However, I don't think anybody has ever found a clear definition of what "Fare Class Groupings" are, so at this point probably nobody outside of DL knows.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
Originally Posted by bennos
Historically the price of the fare did not matter, it was strictly by fare bucket. However, I don't think anybody has ever found a clear definition of what "Fare Class Groupings" are, so at this point probably nobody outside of DL knows.
As a data point, my wife and I are both DM, MM, Delta Reserve holders. My wife booked an X fare OW for $268 and I later booked a T fare on the same flight for $260. Neither of us cleared in advance. On DoD my wife was above me on the upgrade list and cleared (I didn't). Both tickets were purchased at Delta.com.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More than likely "fare class groupings" is used due to C+ fares and they likely "group" those fares together with coach fares based on the underlying fare basis code rather than simply looking at the booking class. They only started using the groupings term after C+ fares were introduced. I'd say it's unlikely the upgrade system actually looks at the fare paid (how would it handle cases like corporate discounted fares or bulk/exception fares, for example?).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
At one point they published them. It was basically something like groups of three fare classes. Ie YBM and then the next three.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Cameron B

The higher the fare class generally the higher the price. Going strictly by price would be way to complicated due to married segments and fact fares cover more than one segment in most cases (connections). YBM are grouped as one then the next three as next group, etc. (This at least was the case a year or so ago when they briefly published the groupings)
acrophobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.