Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Initiated Flight Change - 7 Hours Later - Options?

Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Ambassador Elite

Long time lurker, first time poster....

In January, I booked a flight on AA from ORD->DEN from 7:30A-9:50A, coming up this Sunday (March 24th), for myself, my wife and my 2 kids. We were all sitting in the same row, and I paid for the tickets via $$$ rather than via Points.

I received notice yesterday from AA that my flight has changed to 3:10P->4:50P, so a 7 hour difference. And we are not sitting together any longer.

There are connecting flights that get into DEN closer to 1, which works better for us, but some of the available seats are in first class, and AA support is telling me they can't explore moving me to the connecting flight until the 72 hour window for Exec Plats clears. By that time, the other seats in coach may be gone.

I'm supposed to meet a family member who happens to be in the area for dinner that night before they leave town, and won't make it if I get in on the 450p arrival.

I've read elsewhere that AA will move you to a new flight, even if booking classes don't match, when a flight is changed over 90 minutes, but can't find anything definitive I can share with AA.

Anyone have any experience or pointers on what to do here?

I'm currently Plat Pro, and am easily trending toward Exec Plat this year, should that make a difference.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
They'll move you to any coach seats but they won't give you first class. The point is you don't need the same discounted coach fare bucket.

You could also get a full refund and book a nonstop on United.
ltoolio likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ltoolio
In January, I booked a flight on AA from ORD->DEN from 7:30A-9:50A, coming up this Sunday (March 24th), for myself, my wife and my 2 kids. We were all sitting in the same row, and I paid for the tickets via $$$ rather than via Points.

I received notice yesterday from AA that my flight has changed to 3:10P->4:50P, so a 7 hour difference. And we are not sitting together any longer.

There are connecting flights that get into DEN closer to 1, which works better for us, but some of the available seats are in first class, and AA support is telling me they can't explore moving me to the connecting flight until the 72 hour window for Exec Plats clears. By that time, the other seats in coach may be gone.
Welcome to FT. Not sure what the person you spoke with talking about re: you can't change until 72 hrs before, but that is complete nonsense. Maybe they were trying to say that if you waited until 72 hrs before, when some upgrades might clear, there would be more seats in economy free'd up that you could switch to? Who knows.

Take a look at aa.com (or Google Flights etc.) and find any connecting or nonstop itineraries that arrive within your desired window with coach seats available. Then call AA back, tell them there was a schedule change and the new flight times do not work, and ask specifically to be moved to the flights you find online. For a paid ticket in coach this should be a very easy change, however if you happen to get any resistance or another bad agent just HUCA.
ltoolio likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Everything that day looks pretty full - Y3 is the best I can see (via CLT) – but almost everything is zero across the board.

I presume this is a result of the 737Max grounding.
ltoolio likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. Not sure what the person you spoke with talking about re: you can't change until 72 hrs before, but that is complete nonsense. Maybe they were trying to say that if you waited until 72 hrs before, when some upgrades might clear, there would be more seats in economy free'd up that you could switch to? Who knows.
That was my interpretation of it. She said that there was an internal service bulletin published this morning which systematically prevents adding my fam to the trip, even though there will be economy seats which will open when the upgrades clear.

Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Everything that day looks pretty full - Y3 is the best I can see (via CLT) but almost everything is zero across the board.
I presume this is a result of the 737Max grounding.
The 8:30 CLT was the one I was looking at for the same reason you mention.

I'm going to try again and see if I can upgrade our seats to FC via $$$/Points, which maybe will get us all onto the earlier flights.

Thanks for the thoughts, all~
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:07 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster....

I'm supposed to meet a family member who happens to be in the area for dinner that night before they leave town, and won't make it if I get in on the 450p arrival.

I've read elsewhere that AA will move you to a new flight, even if booking classes don't match, when a flight is changed over 90 minutes, but can't find anything definitive I can share with AA.

Anyone have any experience or pointers on what to do here?

I'm currently Plat Pro, and am easily trending toward Exec Plat this year, should that make a difference.
Im seeing that you are able to book ORD-DEN for 4 people on the non stop on March 14th. Not sure why cant they move you to non stop. Try calling again
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gateH15

Im seeing that you are able to book ORD-DEN for 4 people on the non stop on March 14th. Not sure why cant they move you to non stop. Try calling again
I've been checking throughout the day and haven't seen anything with 4 seats direct (or connecting, for that matter).

What flight #(s) did you see? And did you have the date correct? You referenced March 14, but my travel is on March 24th.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:26 pm

I've been checking throughout the day and haven't seen anything with 4 seats direct (or connecting, for that matter).

What flight #(s) did you see? And did you have the date correct? You referenced March 14, but my travel is on March 24th.

Thanks for the reply.
sorry you said Sunday March 24. I thought you made a typo and meant March 14th.
ltoolio likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.
My bad. Looked at the wrong date. Im seeing connecting flight via CLT that arrives at 1:46 pm is open to book for 4 people in Y
ltoolio likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

I saw the same thing when I searched, and brought it up to the 2nd CSR that I spoke with.

She said that although the seat map was showing open seats, that the reality is that there actually aren't that many available on the flight. The reason - people who have purchased tickets without a seat assignment (the ultra-economy tickets) take up some of the seats which are shown as Open on the Seat map,so what we see in the map isn't reality.

Not sure how much truth lies in that, but I can see some validity in it.

I can't yet post pictures of the maps & $$$ due to my limited post count, but the seat pages show double digits in economy, but the ticket purchase page only shows 2 in Economy and 3 in FC.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:53 pm

I saw the same thing when I searched, and brought it up to the 2nd CSR that I spoke with.

She said that although the seat map was showing open seats, that the reality is that there actually aren't that many available on the flight. The reason - people who have purchased tickets without a seat assignment (the ultra-economy tickets) take up some of the seats which are shown as Open on the Seat map,so what we see in the map isn't reality.

Not sure how much truth lies in that, but I can see some validity in it.

I can't yet post pictures of the maps & $$$ due to my limited post count, but the seat pages show double digits in economy, but the ticket purchase page only shows 2 in Economy and 3 in FC.
as of 15 seconds ago it says 4 tickets left for the price that is listed. I know the seat map is not a good tool to check but if you are able to search and book in the app or website they should be able to rebook you. Keep calling until the agents will do it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:59 pm

as of 15 seconds ago it says 4 tickets left for the price that is listed. I know the seat map is not a good tool to check but if you are able to search and book in the app or website they should be able to rebook you. Keep calling until the agents will do it.
That's not a great indicator either. AA may be willing to oversell the flight, but wouldn't necessarily move people to a flight that doesn't have the capacity available.
TravelerMSY, Often1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
That's not a great indicator either. AA may be willing to oversell the flight, but wouldn't necessarily move people to a flight that doesn't have the capacity available.
maybe. I personally dont see any difference between overselling the flight and moving already ticketed passengers to that flight. Well except the price for the flight is 1600 per person. I guess they would rather sell that vs giving it to OP for free
GWFan likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

maybe. I personally don’t see any difference between overselling the flight and moving already ticketed passengers to that flight. Well except the price for the flight is 1600 per person. I guess they would rather sell that vs giving it to OP for free
It really shouldn’t matter how much it costs. AA is screwing over the OP. They should be doing whatever they can to make it right by him.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
This is what I see from ExpertFlyer with regards to going through CLT on 3/24:

Could you fly into COS and drive up to DEN (it's about a 90 min drive without traffic)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.