Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Fare Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, HawaiianMiles
Basic Economy Fare Question

I have a Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard. I do not have Elite status. My question is about booking a Basic Economy fare. Do I still get the perks of the AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard such as select my seats for no fee, board Group5 and get First checked bag free for the primary cardmember and up to 4 companions?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by johnr863
I have a Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard. I do not have Elite status. My question is about booking a Basic Economy fare. Do I still get the perks of the AAdvantage Aviator Red Mastercard such as select my seats for no fee, board Group5 and get First checked bag free for the primary cardmember and up to 4 companions?
If you don’t have status and flying BE you will still get boarding group 5, free checked bag for you and 4 companions (domestic flights only).
credit card does not let you select free seats even in regular economy. You can only select a regular seat that is available to non Elite members. However since you are flying basic economy you will not be select your seat for free. It will be available for purchase 48 hours before your flight or American will auto assign your seat for free at the time of check in.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gateH15

If you don’t have status and flying BE you will still get boarding group 5, free checked bag for you and 4 companions (domestic flights only).
credit card does not let you select free seats even in regular economy. You can only select a regular seat that is available to non Elite members. However since you are flying basic economy you will not be select your seat for free. It will be available for purchase 48 hours before your flight or American will auto assign your seat for free at the time of check in.
Thanks. I'm traveling during a peak holiday time so not being able to pre-select a seat will be a deal breaker for me. Not willing to pay their up-charge for main cabin either. Will most likely end up on another carrier and cancel the Barclays card. Perks are not what they used to be. Thanks again.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:46 pm

Thanks. I'm traveling during a peak holiday time so not being able to pre-select a seat will be a deal breaker for me. Not willing to pay their up-charge for main cabin either. Will most likely end up on another carrier and cancel the Barclays card. Perks are not what they used to be. Thanks again.
I’m not sure what the perks used to be but red aviator card never ever gave you a free seat selection benefit.
If you are traveling during busy holiday time you can wait 2 hours until departure ti check in online and if flight is pretty full you may end up in MCE for free
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I’m not sure what the perks used to be but red aviator card never ever gave you a free seat selection benefit.
If you are traveling during busy holiday time you can wait 2 hours until departure ti check in online and if flight is pretty full you may end up in MCE for free
Prior to the basic economy fare, you used to be able to book an economy fare (main cabin now) and select a seat during the booking process.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:50 pm

Prior to the basic economy fare, you used to be able to book an economy fare (main cabin now) and select a seat during the booking process.
you can still book a regular economy ticket and book a seat for free (with or without Barclays cars). Even elites are not able to select a seat for free if they purchase basic economy.
Redhead likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

you can still book a regular economy ticket and book a seat for free (with or without Barclays cars). Even elites are not able to select a seat for free if they purchase basic economy.
Yes but the fare for economy is around $60.00 more than a Basic Economy fare. Not worth $60.00 just to select a seat at the time of booking.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:54 pm

Yes but the fare for economy is around $60.00 more than a Basic Economy fare. Not worth $60.00 just to select a seat at the time of booking.
you can just buy basic economy and pay to select a seat 48-24 hours before your flight. It will definitely be less than 60 dollars for a regular seat.
Redhead likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

you can just buy basic economy and pay to select a seat 48-24 hours before your flight. It will definitely be less than 60 dollars for a regular seat.
Not willing to take that chance during a peak holiday season. I've traveled many times during peak holiday times and just want peace of mind knowing I have a seat.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:03 pm

Not willing to take that chance during a peak holiday season. I've traveled many times during peak holiday times and just want peace of mind knowing I have a seat.
If you are not going to getvstatus on AA and other airlines have non basic economy for the same price of course go for it! No reason to fly on AA
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Are you buy any chance traveling as a family with young children? There have been reports on FT that you could get your seats assigned in advanced for free in advanced without even needing to request it if you're traveling with young companions.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

If you are not going to getvstatus on AA and other airlines have non basic economy for the same price of course go for it! No reason to fly on AA
With the credit card they still need to consider bag fees or overhead storage space if they give up the credit card boarding benefit
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
Are you buy any chance traveling as a family with young children? There have been reports on FT that you could get your seats assigned in advanced for free in advanced without even needing to request it if you're traveling with young companions.
While it may be irrelevant to the OP, this is true. AA is required to do this by the FAA. Families with young children (under age 14) will automatically be assigned seats together if they do not select scattered seats on the seatmap. Since BE pax cannot select seats, any BE families will be seated together by an automatic process within 48 hours of booking. I should clarify that these families will be seated so that each child is near an adult. A family of two parents and 2 kids may have two seats together in the front and two seats together in the back, with each child near an adult, so the whole family may not be together, but the kids will not be alone either.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm not sure who you're going to book to get a seat assignment without a fare premium (maybe JetBlue operates on your airport pair). AA has basic economy. DL has basic economy. UA has basic economy - and prohibits carry-ons on said fares. Southwest has no seat assignments. Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant have seat fees. That's over 85% of domestic capacity.
Redhead likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
....I've traveled....during peak holiday times and just want peace of mind knowing I have a seat.
Sorry to nitpick, but even if you don’t pay in advance to select a seat, you can still rest assured you’ll have a seat on that plane by the time it boards, yes? Are you genuinely worried about getting bumped?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.