Wiki Posts
Search

Bag drop dragon at GVA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Bag drop dragon at GVA

I was flying GVA-LCY at 4pm yesterday, in ET and I'm a lowly Bronze member. Quite a few of my friends had warned me pre-trip that GVA is one of the worst airports in Europe to fly from (especially during ski season) and to get there early. I arrived around 2:10pm, went to enter the bag drop area, and a dragon approached me asking which flight I was on. I said the 4pm LCY flight and she just said "too early, come back in 30 mins." The two ET desks had a small queue, maybe 3 people at each one. The CE bag drops seemed to have a combined queue covering three desks (if I recall correctly). So I went away, and waited for around 10 minutes. I then saw a big group of skiers approach the BA bag drop and since I did not want to be behind them, I went back and thankfully the lady was preoccupied with someone else so didn't see me enter the area. I had a short wait, maybe 2 groups in front of me and had my bag checked by a friendly lady.

Clearing security took over 40 minutes, so it was well gone 3pm before I entered the departure lounge.

So I appreciate I was never at risk of missing my flight, had I waited the extra 30 mins I would have cut it very fine (assuming security was as bad, then I'd have arrived in the departure lounge at 3:35pm or so, still needing to get to the B gates) I always thought bag drop desks open 2 hours in advance of flight (and I did see a sign at the entrance that I think said 3 hours ahead was when the bag drop opened)? I appreciate if there are a lot of BA flights in a short space of time (there was an LHR flight at 3:30pm and a Gatwick one around the same time), so while I understand they may want to give people on earlier flights priority to drop their bags, maybe this could have been explained to me as opposed to being told "too early." And like I said, the desks weren't that busy anyway when I tried to join the queue the first time.

Before the door closed, six people joined the flight very red-faced and out of breath, though of course I can't explain why they nearly missed the flight.

As an aside, the CSM on the flight was one of the worst I've encountered on BA. Never cracked a smile and barely opened his mouth to say anything. It always saddens me how on BA you meet cabin crew who act like they would bring you the moon and stars and it's not too much trouble, while others act like they'd rather be anywhere else and act like you've asked them for a kidney when you ask for a glass of water.

Rant over - have a good Monday everyone!
MileStalker likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Simple solution would have been to just reply that it's less than 2 hours to the flight and that you'd rather check in now
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:36 am

Unfortunately, this is a symptom of GVA being grossly over-capacity during ski season (not that it is a much better airport the rest of the year!).

The agent that asked you to wait would have been trying to manage the baggage storage, since there isn't a lot of it at GVA and all those ski bags and bulky suitcases with boots, helmets, ski wear etc all require a decent amount of space.

I find a direct, yet still courteous, approach in French helps no end at GVA.
shefgab, ajamieson and rickg523 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Simple solution would have been to just reply that it's less than 2 hours to the flight and that you'd rather check in now
Yes, well assertiveness would have been the way forward but I wasn't 100% sure that the bag drop opening time is 2 hours in advance.

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Unfortunately, this is a symptom of GVA being grossly over-capacity during ski season (not that it is a much better airport the rest of the year!).

The agent that asked you to wait would have been trying to manage the baggage storage, since there isn't a lot of it at GVA and all those ski bags and bulky suitcases with boots, helmets, ski wear etc all require a decent amount of space.

I find a direct, yet still courteous, approach in French helps no end at GVA.
Thanks for that explanation, makes sense but might have been nice for her to have explained it to me.

I do think Geneva is the worst airport in Europe I've flown out of (to date). It was previously Split, but at least they have the defence that due to a recent war infrastructure is behind where it should be, their traffic is seasonal, and they are building a new terminal. Geneva has no excuse, especially for somewhere that is an all-year round destination for diplomacy, exhibitions and conventions.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Geneva is quickly becoming one of my least favourite airports. Last time there I couldn't get into the BA lounge as it was full and nor could I get a seat/food anywhere else as everything was full. The only positive comment I have is that security was quick. It's very un-Swiss to have an airport that cramped and shabby.
florens and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Geneva is quickly becoming one of my least favourite airports. Last time there I couldn't get into the BA lounge as it was full and nor could I get a seat/food anywhere else as everything was full. The only positive comment I have is that security was quick. It's very un-Swiss to have an airport that cramped and shabby.
Security was a nightmare yesterday. And I'm not sure how through it was. I didn't put my liquids in a clear resealable bag and nothing was noticed by security.

I've used Zurich many times, it's always been fine. Geneva is just so...ugh. And once you clear immigration, there is an awful shop/ bar but that's it. There was also a distinct lack of seating, not helped by some guy taking up one for himself, and another for his feet, while a woman with a baby was standing up looking around for a spare space. A really awful airport, and a wealthy city like Geneva has no excuse.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yesterday was pretty horrendous there - general issues as others noted of ski season, compounded by bad weather and a few flights being diverted. Lounge was queuing 1 in 1 out, and the main departure area was heaving, and uncomfortably warm.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by jdsworld
Security was a nightmare yesterday. And I'm not sure how through it was. I didn't put my liquids in a clear resealable bag and nothing was noticed by security.

I've used Zurich many times, it's always been fine. Geneva is just so...ugh. And once you clear immigration, there is an awful shop/ bar but that's it. There was also a distinct lack of seating, not helped by some guy taking up one for himself, and another for his feet, while a woman with a baby was standing up looking around for a spare space. A really awful airport, and a wealthy city like Geneva has no excuse.
If you passed security in a corridor with just 2 machines, then it is correct that you do not need to remove liquids or computers anymore.
I would avoid going to B gates (where London flights depart from) until the last minute as the little satellite struggles to cope with the number of pax. Stay in the main area until boarding is announced - it’s always easier in hindsight though
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

If you passed security in a corridor with just 2 machines, then it is correct that you do not need to remove liquids or computers anymore.
I would avoid going to B gates (where London flights depart from) until the last minute as the little satellite struggles to cope with the number of pax. Stay in the main area until boarding is announced - it’s always easier in hindsight though
Ah,ok - you're right, it was a corridor with just two machines. I didn't notice any signs saying don't take out laptops or liquids (I didn't have a laptop).

And yes, you're right about going to the B gates, rookie mistake from me It didn't help that an Easyjet flight to Luton was delayed hence congesting things even more.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by bermyandy
Yesterday was pretty horrendous there - general issues as others noted of ski season, compounded by bad weather and a few flights being diverted. Lounge was queuing 1 in 1 out, and the main departure area was heaving, and uncomfortably warm.
Correct. I was flying from there yesterday evening to LHR with my family in Club. Lots of disruption due to the weather in the afternoon at Geneva with a couple of flights diverted to Lyon.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most airlines and airports have statements on their websites advising different categories of passengers when to arrive at the airport, for example in the USA it's frequently two hours for domestic and three for international, although of course not everyone plans to arrive that early. If BA suggests arriving two hours early, they should certainly be able to accept your checked bags no later than that time guideline. In fact, my impression is that the bag drop rule is generally four hours, assuming that the airline staffs the counters that far in advance of the flight.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most airlines and airports have statements on their websites advising different categories of passengers when to arrive at the airport, for example in the USA it's frequently two hours for domestic and three for international, although of course not everyone plans to arrive that early. If BA suggests arriving two hours early, they should certainly be able to accept your checked bags no later than that time guideline. In fact, my impression is that the bag drop rule is generally four hours, assuming that the airline staffs the counters that far in advance of the flight.
Geneva Airport website states two hours. I think my beef with the lady was her saying I was "too early" as I clearly wasn't. Had she said (as a response above states) that they were trying to manage storage space, I'd have been more accepting. So the lie, and the placing of the blame on me, is why I was annoyed (along with her poor manner).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
More often than not, I tend to take the train up to Zurich and fly from there. More choice of flights, muuuuch better airport, pleasant civilized experience and it's only about one and a half hours longer on the train from Montreux. That said, I've never had any issues at GVA and have always found it reasonably civilized, but I never fly BA: it's always EW, AF, KL and LX. But I will say this, it is an utterly soulless airport...don't know why.
Swissroll likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
<snip>....But I will say this, it is an utterly soulless airport...don't know why.
Cramped design. Old decor. Poor facilities, Low ceilings. Bad layout. Characterless lounges. Dated styling. Awful shops.

Apart from that - it's fine.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
GVA had one redeeming feature which were the annoucements preceded by Patti Page’s ‘how much is that doggie in the window’ jingle. Sadly that went a couple of years ago, after 35 years of service...

And come think of it, in all its awfulness it does relatively OK given the town only has 195,000 inhabitants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.