Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Best way to Tokyo

Hello there,

I’m looking to make an Avios redemption for two return journeys to Tokyo in WT. I can get a direct BA flight to Tokyo but coming back this isn’t possible with the availability.

I thought about getting a OW flight from Tokyo to Hong Kong and flying directly back from Hong Kong. I think this helps with taxes and fees.

Is this the best way to do it? Taxes/fees come in at around £700.

It’s possible to get return journeys to Hong Kong for maybe around £1000 and no Avios but obviously would have the hassle on the outbound and return leg with the connection to/from Tokyo. Direct flights to Tokyo would come in at £2000.

I don’t know if there is a better way of doing all of this - flying into Shanghai / Seoul or Beijing for example. I also don’t know what VISA issues there would be with my original plan when returning through Hong Kong?

Lastly, I haven’t flown such a distance before. Don’t know how such a journey would be entirely in economy?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
How much is it to just pay for the flights? Generally speaking using Avios for WT flights isn't the best use of them.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joely
How much is it to just pay for the flights? Generally speaking using Avios for WT flights isn't the best use of them.
​​​​​
BA flights are around £2000 for both of us.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
What about other airlines - even one stop in Middle East perhaps. This is far too much for Y in my opinion

When are you looking to travel in case others have some bright ideas
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
What about other airlines - even one stop in Middle East perhaps. This is far too much for Y in my opinion

I thought so too. I have 110,000 Avios if that helps. That £2000 figure is BA cheapest price I could find for both of us in October (I’m on holiday from the 5th to the 20th so was planning 10 days or so in that range). I am flying from Glasgow also (to London). But could depart from Edinburgh if it worked out better.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am not an expert but if you're worried about duration in economy, it would be worth looking at Finnair via Helsinki - the flight is reasonably short (10hrs on the Helsinki leg) due to polar route, the A350 is comfortable in economy and as far as I know it's quite cost-effective.

[edit] Having just seen you're flying from Scotland, getting yourself to Helsinki and launching from there might be even more of a good idea.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well the Rugby World Cup is on and this may be impacting on Y fares? My boss and three others are booked on CDG-NRT in Etihad in Business for £1,400 each. Looks great and available for those dates if you'd consider another alliance and are comfortable with that price. .
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Im going to sound negative sorry, but if you are payin £700 on top of avios for a Y connecting flight in HKG (which adds a huge chunk of time), just dont do it!

You can get a connecting flight in AMS with KLM for as low as £450. The connection is much more convenient and KL's long haul Y class is kind of okay. There is no reason to pay more for a longer flight.... and lose your points on top of that.

Unless you have blind loyalty for 1w I'd recommend just getting the best deal on another airline. Also have you considered getting a JAL direct flight?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Flying to Tokyo and back in economy class isn't anything to worry about as such. That's how the vast majority of people travel between Europe and Australia, let alone a much shorter distance between Europe and Tokyo.

Don't get weird ideas from this forum that economy class is something punishing - it isn't, as long as you do not have any extenuating circumstances such as being exceptionally tall, injuries, illnesses etc.

Contrary to what was earlier said, £2,000 for 2 persons from Glasgow to Japan and back in economy class isn't particularly expensive for the destination, depending on when you are looking at doing it, although I think you may be able to get the fares down a little, to perhaps £750 each, if you pick an off-season date, even on BA. If you take other carriers, you may be able to get it for a fair bit less.

Warning: If you are going for rugby or thinking of the Olympics, look at the hotel costs at the destination before committing to it...
bowzer91, nancypants and etiene like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeyfly

1000's of people fly long haul economy (>8hrs) every day. And they live to the sun rise the next day

Great Circle Mapper
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Im going to sound negative sorry, but if you are payin £700 on top of avios for a Y connecting flight in HKG (which adds a huge chunk of time), just dont do it!

You can get a connecting flight in AMS with KLM for as low as £450. The connection is much more convenient and KL's long haul Y class is kind of okay. There is no reason to pay more for a longer flight.... and lose your points on top of that.

Unless you have blind loyalty for 1w I'd recommend just getting the best deal on another airline. Also have you considered getting a JAL direct flight?
Direct flight to Tokyo out for around £550 and 39000 Avios. Coming back via Hong Kong for around £150 for 39000 Avios but would also need a connection from Tokyo to Hong Kong. It’s not connecting on the way out. JAL is more expensive than BA from what I can see on Google Flights.

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Flying to Tokyo and back in economy class isn't anything to worry about as such. That's how the vast majority of people travel between Europe and Australia, let alone a much shorter distance between Europe and Tokyo.

Don't get weird ideas from this forum that economy class is something punishing - it isn't, as long as you do not have any extenuating circumstances such as being exceptionally tall, injuries, illnesses etc.

Contrary to what was earlier said, £2,000 for 2 persons from Glasgow to Japan and back in economy class isn't particularly expensive for the destination, depending on when you are looking at doing it, although I think you may be able to get the fares down a little, to perhaps £750 each, if you pick an off-season date, even on BA. If you take other carriers, you may be able to get it for a fair bit less.

Warning: If you are going for rugby or thinking of the Olympics, look at the hotel costs at the destination before committing to it...
i didn’t know there was anything on. Certainly not going for Rugby or Olympics. Do you think this will affect hotel prices a lot when I am looking to go?

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
1000's of people fly long haul economy (>8hrs) every day. And they live to the sun rise the next day

Great Circle Mapper
haha true!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Just looking in google flights and randomly picking a couple of dates in October I see GLA-LHR-HEL-NRT for ~£700 pp, obviously you are chucking in an additional stop there but HEL-NRT is on the 350 which is a great aeroplane and HEL is a great airport for connecting in. That keeps you on OW so you collect more avios as opposed to burning on WT.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by shnprst

i didn’t know there was anything on. Certainly not going for Rugby or Olympics. Do you think this will affect hotel prices a lot when I am looking to go?
Yes, on some of the days between 20 September 2019 and 02 November 2019 (which is the period of the Rugby World Cup), the hotel costs are what I consider horrific. I'm seeing up to 400% increase in room rate per night (basically rack rate).

It doesn't mean all of the nights would be that expensive, but to be honest, I wouldn't go to Japan during that period if you aren't going there for the RWC. I'd go somewhere else and use your next leave for Tokyo. It's not worth paying extra to end up there during that time. I'd expect it would be quiet-ish in October 2020 after the Olympics, which would be a much cheaper time to be there.

I'm shifting two business trips to Tokyo away from the period because I don't think it's worth paying that much more for the same hotel room when I could go at a different time.

So... May I make a suggestion?
1) Keep saving your Avios and go business class or World Traveller Plus on BA in October 2020.
2) Try Korea if you want to have a look at the Far East this year, OR, go somewhere within Japan and keep away from the specific cities +/- 2 days in reference to the following schedule because it's taking place in various places within Japan:
https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/fixtures

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 18, 2019 at 3:52 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
look into flying JL from FRA or HEL.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:17 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Your best option may be to look for sale fares and keep the Avios for maybe a biz class redemption in the future.
I flew KLM GLA-AMS-NRT in January for £550 return in Y.
​​​​​​
From Glasgow you have one stop options on BA, KLM, LH, Emirates.
​​​​​​
From Edinburgh you have one stop options on the above plus AF, Qatar, Turkish, SAS, Finnair.

Put your dates into Google Flights and see what it comes up with fare wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.