Search

19h Delay SEA-LHR and Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, BA Gold
Question 19h Delay SEA-LHR and Compensation

Hello,

I'm caught up in some kerfuffle with the aircraft flying the LHR-SEA route and I've been delayed basically a day. Sounds like it's a mechanical caused by a storm.

This was a business trip and I've now missed a day of the three I had planned to spend at my eventual destination. While everyone has been nice and accommodating, I likely wouldn't have done the trip the way I'm doing it for 2 days. That said, I'm kinda stuck because it's a multi-city trip. So, I'd like to ask for some kind of compensation, but I don't really know what's reasonable and expected. I'm flying paid J, btw.

Thanks,
B-O
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you’re delayed over 6 hours and it was indeed tech related you would be due €600 per passenger plus reimbursement for hotels and meals etc prior to your delayed flight.

More details in the man EU261 thread available in the forum dashboard, as they say...
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Is it any easier to just ask them to upgrade my return TATL leg to F?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BoB-O
They almost certainly won’t do that. However the 600€ would take a big chunk out of the cost of an airport upgrade which you could enquire about at LHR when you check in.

According to the airport paid upgrade thread, the most recent example of cost from 2017 to upgrade from J to F was £650.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:03 pm

That's not going to happen, the procedure is a EU261 claim
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

Don't bother - they won't associate the delay and the return. Just take the money.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Mechanical caused by a storm?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64
Sounds like preparation to reject EU261...
SFO777 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
it's a mechanical caused by a storm.
I'd quite worrying if a storm can cause a mechanical malfunction on a plane that causes a cancellation.
We all know -> BA is just prepping to reject the EC261/2004 claim based on a "storm".
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Swampz64
Originally Posted by warakorn
I'd quite worrying if a storm can cause a mechanical malfunction on a plane that causes a cancellation.
We all know -> BA is just prepping to reject the EC261/2004 claim based on a "storm".
Then worry away, and brush up your cynicism.

It happens. Damage that is not only undetected but undetectable. And aircraft that are not only unflyable but where the unflyability is only discovered on attempted rotation (see the second event):-
  • [*]
KARFA and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Then worry away, and brush up your cynicism.

It happens. Damage that is not only undetected but undetectable. And aircraft that are not only unflyable but where the unflyability is only discovered on attempted rotation (see the second event):-Report: Ryanair B738 at Faro on Oct 24th 2011, control difficulties
And to add, there are two BA 747s which were damaged on the ground in the recent storms which may relate to this delay. I know CIHY has mentioned it over the last few days and also Airprox here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30899327-post2.html
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

So, in an odd twist, the inbound LHR-SEA left on time today. Would BA ever announce a 19h delay, then undo it?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by warakorn
On a very simple level, things get blown about in a storm and hit other objects.

I know of some very extensive damage caused to aircraft by storms. One actually wasn't even hit by anything - it was blown about so much that it suffered damage while stationery without being hit by an external object.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To be clear, the EUR 600 compensation is due at 4 hours, not 6 as noted above.

You are also free to negotiate for a payment in lieu of the Regulation's requirements. While BA is a bit stodgy about this, AA likely would have agreed to the UG in lieu of cash.

You could try asking at the airport, but plan on sitting in your assigned seat.

Whether the delay is an extraordinary circumstance really will depend on what happened. But, it is not worth your while to try to sort that out until you are back from your trip.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Not that it matters much at this point, but was your flight LHR-SEA or vv?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.