Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GA Threatened to Enforce Carry On Size Limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

First time I've seen this. The GA on my flight to MSP initially wouldn't let a passenger bring a piece of luggage on board because it was clearly over the 9" thickness limit. The luggage was one of those with an extra zipper that let's the bag inflate a couple more inches. The GA relented when the customer said they would check the bag next time. The conversation was quite entertaining.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I’m kinda on the side of the GA on this one. In my experience, both GAs and FAs are generally far too lax when enforcing policies that make things easier for the many at the inconvenience of the few, or the one.

ETA: I’m a bit of a hypocrite, as I’m typing this on DL2167 after the boarding door has been closed and we’re pushing back from the gate. Guess I should take my own advice and sign off now, before DaveTravels makes me drink sweet tea.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:39 am

Too bad the GA backed down! I am sure the person was fibbing when they "promised to check it" If that's true why didn't they let the GA check it....
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Good on the GA for raising the issue. Bad on the GA for failing to enforce DL's own published policy which is filed with the FAA and therefore enforceable as a FAA violation.

AA has recently improved on this topic and does not relent. Not sure why DL can't do the same.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by RRDD
The GA relented when the customer said they would check the bag next time.
Was a great story until I read this. Makes the entire thread a moot point (no offense toward the OP, just the FA).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Too bad the GA backed down! I am sure the person was fibbing when they "promised to check it" If that's true why didn't they let the GA check it....
Bag was pink tagged.

Last edited by RRDD; Feb 23, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Do it. Maybe, just maybe, we can have faster boarding process.

European airlines enforce them on a regular basis.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I have seen GAs not back down at JFK over that rule.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Was this on a CR9 (PIT-MSP based on your profile)?

Agreed shouldn't usually go on a CR9 as it takes up a lot of room. If an aircraft with the newer 'sideways' bins then I guess I don't care too much.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Anyone else see the thread title and kind of think that this was an article in The Onion?
strickerj and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's a sad state of society when attempts at rule enforcement are considered notable.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Don't think (on Delta at least) I've ever seen a GA give in and forcibly check someone's bag. Seen it happen on other airlines, but on Delta the GA always seems to drop it.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
There are so many things DL GAs and FAs do not enforce. It’s practically a free-for-all — whether it’s boarding, seatbacks up during landing in F, oversized bags, noisome pax, and any number of other things, Delta is the least “confrontational” of every airline I’ve flown, by a country mile.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:57 pm

I wish it were normal for airlines to have passengers drop their carryon into a size box during boarding. Anything that doesn’t fit gets checked at the normal checked bag fee rate. There would be fewer involuntary gate checked carryons.
nancypants and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
I wish it were normal for airlines to have passengers drop their carryon into a size box during boarding.
I am glad that DL does not do this; I imagine that this would--easily--add 15 minutes to the boarding process, and also create a negative dynamic between pax and GA's. It also just seems to me that the vast majority of pax follow the rules.

To be honest, I find that the current system seems to be mostly OK. GA's are proactive about offering free checked bags for carry on's when they need to, and it is rare for me to see pax not find room for their luggage on board. Now, perhaps the FA's are stopping them before they board and I've already boarded with SKY so I never see the involuntary checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.