Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How long is a piece of string? [Suggestions how to spend 210k Avios]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

there are probably infinite answers to this but I'm looking for some innovative use of avios and frankly, where better to ask?

I have 210k avios that id like to use but cant decide what to do.
EG Long haul F/J redemption To USA over easter
Lots of RFS over the summer
Asian multi city trip in F/J

Im based in Manchester but willing to start and go anywhere as long as the long hauls had flat beds

I am not particularly creative with this stuff so appealing to those who are...
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Return to Buenos Aires in J with either BA or Iberia....probably a better chance with the latter. You should save some cash in taxes if you have an Iberia Plus account and book it through there.

I'll even buy you a pint or two if you bring some UK goodies for me like Condor pipe tobacco and bakes beans.
patsharp likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
What do you like, what do you want to experience? City breaks? If so, western or “exotic”? Large or small? Beach? Relaxation or adventure? Inland or seaside? Shopping? Eating? If so, what cuisine?

Plenty of options - and I have lots of suggestions if you can let me know your preferences:-)

Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by patsharp
Im based in Manchester but willing to start and go anywhere as long as the long hauls had flat beds

I am not particularly creative with this stuff so appealing to those who are...
RFS will probably get you the most value, you could do quite a few trips on that amount of Avios. You can combine flat beds and RFS by looking at Moscow or Madrid, and there are places such as BEY, AMM, KWI, TLV which are relatively time and Avios inexpensive.

But help us a little by telling us what you like, maybe a previous trip that you enjoyed and want something similar but still different? Beach, mountain, city, historical, modern? Walking around or car hire? Well known places or hidden gems? Or would you really like somewhere unusual?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, i like wandering around, eating, drinking and people watching. Not much of a beach person, id be more inclined to wander round Beijing than Barbados. I think its different cultures and experience that I'm looking for.
Multiple city breaks around Europe appeals, but then could i do the same in Asia or North or even South America?
RoyalSwazi likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Asia in F would appeal with that many Avios. Internal flights can be cheap if paying cash.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks all, i like wandering around, eating, drinking and people watching. Not much of a beach person, id be more inclined to wander round Beijing than Barbados. I think its different cultures and experience that I'm looking for.
Multiple city breaks around Europe appeals, but then could i do the same in Asia or North or even South America?
OK, well that certainly helps.

Perhaps a main trip to HKG and then doing some shorter trips on Cathay / JAL to places like Taiwan and Japan?

The people cities of USA would be to my mind - Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Salt Lake City, in addition to the usual suspects such as NYC, BOS and SFO (but not LAX). Montréal and Québec are interesting mixes of cultures. And you can't go wrong with Vancouver.

Buenos Aires and Montevideo would be a good pairing, both people cities.

In Europe I'd think about Bologna, Turin, Trier, Catania, Naples, San Sebastián / Donestia, Vigo, Porto, Murcia (city, not the airport area).
patsharp likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Asia in F would appeal with that many Avios. Internal flights can be cheap if paying cash.
Second that. I enjoyed a tour round SE Asia (out MAN-LHR-BKK, return SIN-LHR-MAN) using cheap regional flights to visit other cities. Or in India, where domestic flights are even cheaper, you could experience north and south India (which are very different from each other) by going out to DEL and back from HYD or MAA.
patsharp likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

In Europe I'd think about Bologna, Turin, Trier, Catania, Naples, San Sebastián / Donestia, Vigo, Porto, Murcia (city, not the airport area).
Yes, all great ... but Nice! Nowhere nicer.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Twice as long as one end to the middle.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The people cities of USA would be to my mind - Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Salt Lake City, in addition to the usual suspects such as NYC, BOS and SFO (but not LAX). Montréal and Québec are interesting mixes of cultures. And you can't go wrong with Vancouver.
We stayed in central LA a block from City Hall and had a good time walking around - even including a winery. We did use the bus to get to the Huntington Library and you can do a lot with the light rail. There is actually quite a lot to see and do but avoid the summer.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for some ideas. Im tending towards an Asia trip Is there a baredemptionfinder type site for JAL/CX?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Try the flight connections website with a OneWorld filter to see what routes are available. Then tie this in with Rewardfilghtfinder and see what is available when you are free. Using Avios for LH and then LCC wherever you end up is fab. Last year we flew to Kuala Lumpur and back from Singapore with Avios then spent 8 nights in Bali in-between. This year we fly to Nashville for a few nights, then spend a week with the kids in Orlando (21 &27!!) before finishing in Memphis and flying back from Atlanta. Next year we are flying into Seoul and back from Hong Kong with 9 nights in Vietnam in the middle, the options are endless.
TTmex and patsharp like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Thanks for some ideas. Im tending towards an Asia trip Is there a baredemptionfinder type site for JAL/CX?
Wherever you end up going, if you can travel on at least two of BA's partners, be sure to compare the cost in Avios of a series of one-way redemptions with the cost of a multi-partner redemption. With a multi-partner redemption, you can fly up to 20,000 miles in J for 200,000 Avios. Redemption chart here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Based on your input I’d recommend the following:

Asia - Hong Kong, Saigon, Manila, Bangkok, Osaka, Taipei, Hanoi, Singapore . In my opinion China is too crowded & polluted, same goes for Bombay & Delhi. Kyoto is beautiful but terribly dull. Beirut is a gem. All of them are foodie heavens.

North America - Vancouver, Boston & New York. LA is great for plastic people watching lol. Miami is full of tourists, Washington has great architecture & museums (which may or may not be open), but no people after office hours.

Latin America - Buenos Aires is fab. The food isn’t the best, same for my other favourite Havana. Both compensate on so many levels. Stay away from Bogotá which is cold, dirty and has unimpressive food.

Europe - Belfast, Munich, Hamburg, Lisbon, Gothenburg, Tallinn, Tromsø, Warsaw. During the summer months I’d stay away from the classic destinations like Barcelona, Paris & Rome as they’re way too crowded. Madrid is much more interesting than Barcelona, but can be unpleasant in summer due to high temps.

These are my opinions only. Others may agree or disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.