Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I hate a companion voucher going to waste...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:44 am
Original Poster

So I'm trying to work out where to use it before it expires in October....I've got nothing 'useful' I can use it for..so I'm wondering if I use it for a quick trip...weekend/long weekend and if so to where?

Current thoughts are that anywhere outside Europe is too expensive because of taxes...I don't need to go on the trip so I don't think I can justify a lump on the taxes flying Club somewhere ex-EU.

So that is the question...where would you fly for a weekend with a companion voucher..I'll ignore for the moment that I am looking at May where availability on weekends is pretty limited.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
A couple of ideas...

Madrid - great city and nice lounges / onboard food too

Geneva and head to the Jura or the Alps

Barcelona - although I prefer Madrid.

GB
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
The new lounge is opening up in Helsinki (April I think?) so that is on my todo list this year. A good flight in Club, and excellent lounges on both ends.

I think you can also do a reward flight saver to Russia if that's your thing, and also get lie-flat beds.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: too many
Canary Islands in September?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sticking to the month of May, and bearing in mind that I have found something interesting in almost every city in Europe, here would be where I would consider

- Berlin - like London it is so big that there is something for everyone. You can go again and again without seeing the same thing.
- Lisbon - efficient, good weather, lots to look at and see, good value for money. Similar case for Porto.
- Istanbul - well, ok, new airport apart, it is truly where East meets West.
- Turin or Bologna - not much featured in tourism highlights, but both are great places
- Geneva - if your time is very short this is so efficient you can really get a good mini break there
- Las Palmas - one way to cheat, geographically it is Africa - fantastic weather and a surprisingly interesting town
- Helsinki - usually good weather then and the Finns make the most of it when it happens.
- Vienna but go to Bratislava - no one else does!
ba0028, 20Rothmans and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
A couple of ideas...

Madrid - great city and nice lounges / onboard food too

Geneva and head to the Jura or the Alps

Barcelona - although I prefer Madrid.

GB
But Geneva airport.......

Madrid might not be a bad call...I had wondered if longer flight was better....make the most of it but Madrid definitely hits the maybe list. Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Vienna but go to Olomouc - even fewer do
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I’d second Lisbon or Istanbul - regular enough flights too to find a timing that works, and Lisbon always seems to be an expensive Club destination.
CaroFos likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Bilbao is a nice little weekend away, Amazing food, Guggenheim and wine country close by, not exactly maximising your 241 hough

TLV would be good time wise, and you could get J/F, but i assume higher taxes etc as out of EU
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Just booked Malta.
Would recommend Krakow as a good destination for three days or so (inc Auschwitz and the salt mines), albeit quite touristy
Rome is a delight.
Would second Berlin as a place to return too (and Olomouc was lovely)

Not sure if the next two count as Europe but Istanbul and Kiev would certainly pique my interest.
GBobon likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Just booked Malta.
Would recommend Krakow as a good destination for three days or so (inc Auschwitz and the salt mines), albeit quite touristy
Rome is a delight.
Would second Berlin as a place to return too (and Olomouc was lovely)

Not sure if the next two count as Europe but Istanbul and Kiev would certainly pique my interest.

Valletta was beautiful and hot, do your research properly re where to stay and Lisbon will also be pretty warm too and the coast is an easy 30 minutes away too
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I guess this really depends what you would like- to maximise the value of your voucher or to just visit somewhere you’d like to go for a short break.

Although I love going to BCN and MAD, there are relatively cheap even in CE so it would seam a waste to me and I’d prefer to venture further afield with it, now I have no qualms with flying LH for a weekend, but if you don’t, I’d second Las Palmas or somewhere Eastern Europe.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A number of airlines send me a weekly "why don't you" email, they tend to come in on Thursdays or Fridays.

Here are today's suggestions
Vueling: Barcelona, Rome, Florence
Norwegian: Gran Canaria, Tenerife, Malaga, Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid (longhaul headline: Buenos Aires)
Flybe: Amsterdam, Dusseldorf, Paris, Faro
and Wow suggested Iceland, but they would, wouldn't they.
aahch likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:33 am

BA0028, I'd second the vote for Tel Aviv. You can fly F there and it is less than 5 hours. Also, it uses just over 40,000 Avios (off peak) if memory serves me correctly. You'd also have use of the CCR. As an alternative to the suggestions above, I'd add CW to Amman. The Dead Sea resorts are only half an hour a way. There are a few good hotels, such as the Kempinski Ishtar, with villas right on the Dead Sea.
george77300 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thebigben
The new lounge is opening up in Helsinki (April I think?) so that is on my todo list this year. A good flight in Club, and excellent lounges on both ends.

I think you can also do a reward flight saver to Russia if that's your thing, and also get lie-flat beds.
Depending on your passport, Russia might require a visa, which would be an expensive hassle.
AnaTravel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.