Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas 70th anniversary Sale (ex HKG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Received an email today from QF:

Our 70th anniversary sale is on! Fly to Australia from HK$2,570*.

.Sydney Economy return From
(HKD)2570*
Premium Economy return From
(HKD)8800*
Business return From
(HKD)18000*Melbourne Economy return From
(HKD)2570*
Premium Economy return From
(HKD)8800*
Business return From
(HKD)18000*

Checked a few dates within the qualifying ones for J to MEL (other destinations available too) but I'm yet to find one. It keeps coming up at Business Saver $18,000 one way.

Any suggestions on how to find these deals?

(Links within text but https://www.qantas.com/hk/en/flight-...usiness/lowest)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

On about the 23rd attempt, I found one. Not the date I would prefer, but I found one at HK$19,000 return.

Is that what it takes? Trying a gazillion date combinations?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

It's okay. Beginning to get the hang of this.

Free feel to ignore.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Strange. From nothing coming up to loads coming up. Including the dates I preferred that weren't available before.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
Purely out of interest this is 70th anniversary of what? Anyone know when qantas started flying to Hong Kong? 1949? Really??
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by nancypants
Purely out of interest this is 70th anniversary of what? Anyone know when qantas started flying to Hong Kong? 1949? Really??
I’d reckon the only thing that would excite a potential pax is the price. Nobody really gives a rats about 70 years of whatever it is.
nancypants and RTWFF like this.

Last edited by og; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[off topic]

Originally Posted by nancypants
https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...-war/global/en

<snip>
Lancastrians were still operating between Sydney and Karachi and Short Hythe flying boats on the Sydney-Singapore route, but these wartime stalwarts were being phased out. The Douglas DC4 Skymaster was introduced in 1949 on new services to Hong Kong and Japan. In 1952 Qantas began fortnightly flights to Johannesburg, South Africa
<snip>
[on topic]
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
thanks for this! Kind of surprises me how recent this was. Had me wondering whether the search might not be returning many results as they’d mucked up the numbers!!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Link in the email: Time-limited offer: Celebrating 70 years of flying to Hong Kong | Qantas HK

There's a video on the page, which includes snippets of a landing at Kai Tak for those, like me, who love that kind of thing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:12 am

I am considering a similar trip next year - though it's a bit early now. For regulars, do you know how frequent this sort of sale pricing is on the 787 route between HKG and Sydney please? Any recurring promo actions throughout the year? Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
its mere.10 to 15pct lower than regular fare... nothing to write home about

787 roastered 4 or 5 times a week.

best value is booking PEY sale and upgrade to J. ticket cost 1.6k aud return. whereas one way, you earn 11k points whilst spend 23.5k points to J, so net 12k outlay to sit in J... this is hugr valur because PEY sale is prixed much lower than flex Y but upgrade requirement is on par, and half of it you can earn on flight...

so net you pay 1.6k aud, net 24k point roundtrip to upgradr to J.

in fact i just bot a random travel to sydney for a night on this cuz DSC is on.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
its mere.10 to 15pct lower than regular fare... nothing to write home about

787 roastered 4 or 5 times a week.

best value is booking PEY sale and upgrade to J. ticket cost 1.6k aud return. whereas one way, you earn 11k points whilst spend 23.5k points to J, so net 12k outlay to sit in J... this is hugr valur because PEY sale is prixed much lower than flex Y but upgrade requirement is on par, and half of it you can earn on flight...

so net you pay 1.6k aud, net 24k point roundtrip to upgradr to J.

in fact i just bot a random travel to sydney for a night on this cuz DSC is on.

Thanks for the insight! Unfortunately, not sure I can manage to get these points but I'll look into it as your plan seems very interesting indeed.
I just had a look at the regular fare it's true it's not much higher but still nicer to catch this discount to splash on some more hotel nights or perks in Australia!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:20 am

Still planning on this, one more question for you guys, do we know yet if the A380 would be back this winter on the route? I tried to search but did not found anything for winter 2019-2020, perhaps it has not been announced yet? How are the odds, is it 100% sure a yearly thing or more depending the demand? Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.