Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Award stay cancelled by hotel for operational resasons. No solution offered

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
just rexeived communication that my 5 night award stay in 10 days has been cancelled due to hotel operation reasons (apparently closing down the hotel).
I was told I would be refunded points. There is no availability for Bonvoy properties in the city.

As I booked my vacation around this stay what should I expect (I am Platinum Elite)?
I would have honestly expected a call telling me they would put me up in a comparable property in the same area.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?
Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:30 pm

You're obviously not naming the hotel for understandable reasons, but may be helpful to name the location...remote with only one property versus a big city makes quite a difference in what might be possible.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by italian7
Hi all,
just rexeived communication that my 5 night award stay in 10 days has been cancelled due to hotel operation reasons (apparently closing down the hotel).
I was told I would be refunded points. There is no availability for Bonvoy properties in the city.

As I booked my vacation around this stay what should I expect (I am Platinum Elite)?
I would have honestly expected a call telling me they would put me up in a comparable property in the same area.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard?
Thanks
I assume you have a confirmed points reservation with an e-certificate attached.

Have you determined if the hotel shutting down entirely — such as for a lengthy renovation or for redevelopment of the site or because the hotel went bankrupt — or if the hotel is just dropping its affiliation with a Marriott brand (and thus with the Marriott Bonvoy program)?

There have been reports on this forum about hotels that honored point reservations after leaving Marriott, but without providing night credits or benefits based on elite status. That suggest that hotels are still paid by Marriott for such a stay.

You acted in good faith when you withdrew the points and made the reservation. Now Marriott and the hotel need to act in good faith to make sure you have a place to stay, which could be the same hotel if its's operating, or a comparable (or better) hotel. It would not even have to be affiliated with Marriott.

I would recommend contacting Marriott Bonvoy Guest Services. You might have to escalate unless the first person you talk to really wants to help you and finds someone who can handle this somewhat unusual situation.
JBord likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Yes reservation was done over 6 months ago with a confirmed e-cert (points).

The email states “Due to the impact of heavy rains, our hotel is experiencing an operational impact, including power interruption. Therefore, we will be temporarily closed.”

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:57 pm

Is this the Sheraton Grand Rio?

The hotel suffered substantial damage during the recent floods and was evacuated immediately. If you look at the property thread on here there are pictures and links to news reports.

Not expected to open for a couple of months at least looking at the pictures.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Is this the Sheraton Grand Rio?

The hotel suffered substantial damage during the recent floods and was evacuated immediately. If you look at the property thread on here there are pictures and links to news reports.

Not expected to open for a couple of months at least looking at the pictures.
Yes, that’s the one.
I’ll take a look. I’m sure they are going through tough times but they should arrange alternative solutions.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Is this the Sheraton Grand Rio?.
My thoughts exactly. You should ask them to put you up at the JW Marriott. Obviously many people are in your situation, especially with carnaval around the corner so your status relative to other people in the same situation will probably be crucial. If you are indeed traveling during carnival, any decent property will be sold out so I'd say it might be an idea to look at your travel insurance if there's any possibility that you reschedule for next year and ask them to comp you in the form of upgrades, F&B etc... And perhaps the entire stay.

Sorry about that. It's really bad luck!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Yes, that’s the one.
I’ll take a look. I’m sure they are going through tough times but they should arrange alternative solutions.
Before the merger I had a reservation at a new hotel - the opening kept getting pushed - and finally affected my reservation. A CS agent (after a few escalations) worked very hard to help me - but this was SPG and the situation clearly was different. I think nobody know what this new company will do but I'd love to hear if they do something to help you.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Yes, that’s the one.
When is your reservation relative to Mardi Gras? The obvious alternative would be, as suggested above, the JW on Copacabana rather that your Sheraton Rio in a somewhat bad location not too far from Ipanema. Alternatively, there are a bunch of new chain hotels out in the suburb of Barra that were built for the Olympics, including a marvelous beachfront Grand Hyatt (but located on the lagoon too). IIRC there's a Sheraton here, but it wouldn't be right on the beach. These places are about an hour from the center of Rio, depending on traffic, and IIRC about a US$50 taxi fare. There's some public transportation, which locals don't consider to be particularly safe but YMMV.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
My thoughts exactly. You should ask them to put you up at the JW Marriott. Obviously many people are in your situation, especially with carnaval around the corner so your status relative to other people in the same situation will probably be crucial. If you are indeed traveling during carnival, any decent property will be sold out so I'd say it might be an idea to look at your travel insurance if there's any possibility that you reschedule for next year and ask them to comp you in the form of upgrades, F&B etc... And perhaps the entire stay.

Sorry about that. It's really bad luck!
Yes, definitely bad luck but situations happen. If an airline cancelles a flight because they are down one plane I expect them to re-book me. I would expect the same of Marriot (independently of status tbh)

Yes, it’s carnival week, most other good properties are sold out as well as the JW is out in all but 1 of the 5 nights.

I’ve escalated the matter and I’ll update this thread. Really shocked by how poorly this has been handled so far
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In this case, the flooding wasn't the hotel's fault unless you believe that it was inadvisable for the hotel to place its building where it did.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When is your reservation relative to Mardi Gras?
There is no such thing as Mardi Gras in Brazil. Here it's called Carnaval...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In this case, the flooding wasn't the hotel's fault unless you believe that it was inadvisable for the hotel to place its building where it did.
Absolutely, however due to the short time before the stay I hold them responsible to finding an alternative solution.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:24 am

Are the CY or RI options for you (further inland), as I see availability in early March?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whatever anyone thinks, the fact is that all the property needs to do is refund the payment, e.g. certificate. and thus points.

So, the approach here needs to be to enlist the property's assistance.

First, make a list of comparable properties in the order you prefer and then call during business hours and ask for assistance. I suspect that you won't come away with much of anything, but that is the best approach to take.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.