Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New here - confirming MQMs for my first class tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

I took 17 Delta flights last year, all first class, and I made silver. Not even close to gold. Are the MQMs listed below that I earned for flights last year seem reasonable? I feel like I'm missing something, whether it be not using an AMEX, or not having a corporate skymiles account listed. Thanks!!

ATL - PDX Round Trip - 6516 MQM
ATL - DAY Round Trip - 1500 MQM
ATL - MKE Round Trip - 2008 MQM
ATL - LAX One way - 2919 MQM
ATL - SLC One way - 2384 MQM
ATL - MEX - HMO Round Trip - 7010 MQM
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 am

You can easily and objectively check the MQMs earned at 1:1 based on distance which is available on delta.com with a dummy booking. You generally get a 50% MQM bonus for paid first class. If you get an AMEX card you can significantly increase the number of MQMs you can earn each year.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Those MQMs all look about right. However, you said 17 trips all in F. These six examples are almost 25K alone. Are the other 11 trips all short hops?

As was mentioned, a Delta Amex Reserve card will get you 30K MQMs and RDMs for just $60K in annual spend along with whatever RDM bonus offer they’re running. That’ll get you to FO without flying a mile, so you’ll easily hit GM with your current flight schedule.

Just FYI, you can also go here and use this handy little calculator: https://cwsi.net/m/dlcalc.aspx

I checked a couple of your fares, assuming a P fare class, and the MQMs are just about spot-on.

Last edited by TheHorta; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
all look correct, including 50% bonus because of F
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
These all look correct. Also, if you log into your Delta account and click on your SkyMiles activity and expand each posting you will see the MQM's earned and the Bonus MQMs for paid F tickets. The bonus does not count on complimentary upgrades, just paid (miles/cash) upgrades and purchases.

The DL credit cards have bonus MQMs for spending thresholds which help boost MQM earning.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
The shorter flights (ATL DAY) are only getting 750 MQM, 500 minimum + 50% first class bonus, so 17 of those gets you nowhere near Silver. I know you took other, longer legs but just a sanity check.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Welcome to Flyertalk!

For future reference, you might want to look at milecalc.com or gcmap.com to get an idea of how many miles a route is (then add 50% for First).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you purchase a FULL F fare, it's 200% MQMs, minimum 1,000 MQMs per segment. Otherwise it's 150% or 750, although certain paid upgrades (such as those done during OLCI or at the airport) generally don't earn any extra MQMs.

The numbers look approximately correct to me, but I'm wondering whether you mean 17 trips or 17 segments? If it were 17 round trips at 750 MQMs each way or 1500 X 17 = 25,500 MQMs at a minimum if my math is right.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replys,
My travel is all round trip, some short hops with the occasional international or cross country trip.

I just got back from a ATL-SLC roundtrip and recieved 10,619 total miles and 4,768 MQMs. Just seems odd that I spend $900 for a rountrip ATL-TPA and only get 1250 MQMs but ATL-SLC is $1300 and i recieve 4,768.

I'm 270 MQM away from retaining silver because of my rollovers from 2018. Guess it's time to get an AMEX. Thanks!!

Funny tidbit, on my return trip the FA made us all stow our water bottles before takeoff never had that happen before in 3 years of consistent travel.

Last edited by ms02846q; Feb 25, 2019 at 7:27 am Reason: Wanted to add an anecdote
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ms02846q
I just got back from a ATL-SLC roundtrip and recieved 10,619 total miles and 4,768 MQMs. Just seems odd that I spend $900 for a rountrip ATL-TPA and only get 1250 MQMs but ATL-SLC is $1300 and i recieve 4,768.
MQMs are distance-based with a multiplier for fare code (F, I, Y, B, M, etc.) How much you paid for the ticket is in some part a function of fare code but ticket price doesn't otherwise impact MQMs. This is one of the basics of Delta elite qualification. Do not short your understanding of the MQM concept.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...elta.html/#MQM

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ify.html/#mqms

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.