Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel shortchanged by Emirates and Skywards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Having been a loyal Gold or Platinum member of Skywards for the past ten years or so, I’m getting a bit sick of Emirates, truth be told. Despite this loyalty, I am yet to receive an upgrade and have never received anything beyond the standard service for the ticket class my employer buys (Business Flex or Flex+).

The only time I fly them is long haul or ultra long haul for work, so I’m always in a business class seat (is it bad that I’ve never been downstairs on an A380?!?). Consequently, Skywards doesn’t really give me anything more than I get through the ticket (First lounge in Dubai is OK, but the Business lounge is perfectly acceptable to be able to grab a shower and bite to eat in transit).

I’m travelling with Emirates from UK to Taipei next week and then back to UK from Tokyo the following week. Despite being Gold from 2010 - 2016 and Platinum from 2017 to present, after this one, I think I’m going to stop flying Emirates and focus on keeping my One World (BA Silver) and Star Alliance (Turkish Gold) statuses up so that I can use the various lounges when I’m doing short hops around the various regions in economy.

Sinply put, Skywards doesn’t offer me enough to encourage me to want to stay flying Emirates.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:49 am

If you're in Business Class, then Skywards perks don't mean a lot except for extra Skywards Miles. However, there are lots of different travel patterns and some will benefit more than others. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Skywards
I can't seem to see anywhere on EK benefits which specifies you are entitled to an op up. I second what ft101 writes above.

Do I think Skywards could be better, of course:
  • A separate wifi network for Gold members onboard.
  • Change fees discounted or made free of charge (later is unlikely to happen but wishful thinking?)
  • Better food quality in lounges (especially in Shanghai!)
  • In-flight catering at a certain time - I tend to eat at the lounges before the flight and then can not eat at EK's designated time which is usually after take off). I can't see this being difficult given the party taken place by the cabin crew in the back cabin in most flights! And yes, I don't mean 30 minutes before touch-down but the pursuer who does the 'welcoming' round can simply ask when you would like your meal would be a nice touch.
  • More luggage allowance for gold members (because 46kg is not enough )
  • This is just a personal one but 2 hours in transit at Dubai is simply not enough to enjoy the lounge.
Why I like being Gold:
  • I have a 4 hour car journey to Shanghai, by having lounge access it allows me to shower and wind down before my long haul flight.
  • Food in some outstations are decent.
  • Dedicated queue for Gold members at boarding
  • Dedicated check-in
nancypants and ElJudioErrante like this.

Last edited by S c 0 TT y; Feb 17, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
I can't seem to see anywhere on EK benefits which specifies you are entitled to an op up. I second what ft101 writes above.

Do I think Skywards could be better, of course:
  • A separate wifi network for Gold members onboard.
  • Change fees discounted or made free of charge (later is unlikely to happen but wishful thinking?)
  • Better food quality in lounges (especially in Shanghai!)
  • In-flight catering at a certain time - I tend to eat at the lounges before the flight and then can not eat at EK's designated time which is usually after take off). I can't see this being difficult given the party taken place by the cabin crew in the back cabin in most flights! And yes, I don't mean 30 minutes before touch-down but the pursuer who does the 'welcoming' round can simply ask when you would like your meal would be a nice touch.
  • More luggage allowance for gold members (because 46kg is not enough )
  • This is just a personal one but 2 hours in transit at Dubai is simply not enough to enjoy the lounge.
Why I like being Gold:
  • I have a 4 hour car journey to Shanghai, by having lounge access it allows me to shower and wind down before my long haul flight.
  • Food in some outstations are decent.
  • Dedicated queue for Gold members at boarding
  • Dedicated check-in
Different priorities. I don't check a bag and if I do it's never more than 15kg. I don't want to be the only person In the Y cabin eating mid flight with everyone staring at me with hungry eyes. I'm happy to queue with the J and F folks, no need for a separate queue. Same for check-in with J. In the past 6 months I've found the food in outstations to be be significantly better in EK Branded lounges, same in the EK DXB lounges. Mainly with the small side items and snacks, the mains are unchanged.

To the OP: you're saying you've never been able to upgrade to F with your miles? That seems the obvious use of them in your position, especially on a J Flex+
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: Skyward gold, MH Enrich gold
The fess and charges on redemption ticket are absolutely ridiculous ..... I think they make good money on redemption ticket
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Which advertised benefits have they not given you, such that you feel short-changed?
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Seems a bit strange that you'd stop flying an airline because they don't give you operational upgrades. Especially to switch to BA

Enjoy your upgrades on BA.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by ft101
If you're in Business Class, then Skywards perks don't mean a lot except for extra Skywards Miles. However, there are lots of different travel patterns and some will benefit more than others. Only you can decide whether it's worth it for you.
Airlines elite status will be benefit more for people who do most of their flying in economy.

For people who book business class and above, the elite benefit kind of overlap with travel class own benefit.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Airlines elite status will be benefit more for people who do most of their flying in economy.

For people who book business class and above, the elite benefit kind of overlap with travel class own benefit.
Yep, it's exactly why I love flying EK and there's a high barrier to switching since I fly Y and Gold status makes it much more comfortable
Ryanardo_daVinci likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Clearly, I don’t expect op-ups all the time, but once in a while would be appreciated to recognise the significant spend and commitment required to attain and keep Platinum. Especially as there are no benefits in being in an alliance with Skywards.

At least with One World and Star Alliance, once you get to a half decent status, you can use the various lounges when flying economy (of which I do a lot when I am in region).

I use my miles to upgrade to First quite frequently.

Last edited by schmalex; Feb 17, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by skywardhunter

To the OP: you're saying you've never been able to upgrade to F with your miles? That seems the obvious use of them in your position, especially on a J Flex+
That's what I do, I always fly J, get more miles because I'm Gold and upgrade to F.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by schmalex

At least with One World and Star Alliance, once you get to a half decent status, you can use the various lounges when flying economy (of which I do a lot when I am in region).

Isn't lounge access throughout the Emirates system a benefit of Gold and up?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokeable

Isn't lounge access throughout the Emirates system a benefit of Gold and up?
Clearly. However, it’s limited to when you’re flying Emirates. Obviously.

My point is, with the alliances, the major benefit is you get premium checkin / lounge access across a multitude of airlines regardless of class of travel (assuming you have the required status).

This is of significant value to me as I only use Emirates for Ling Haul and then other carriers for short hops when I’m in my destination region (for example, a typical trip for me involves meetings in 3 or 4 places out of a mix of KL, Singapore, Hanoi, Tokyo, Jakarta, Manila, Seoul and Taipei over a 12 day period. I would only use Emirates for the run from UK to my first stop in Asia and then from my last stop back to UK. I’ll typically do 4 or 5 short haul flights during the trip to hop between locations.

It is these, shorter, flights where the benefit of lounge access / premium check-in really helps take the sting out of it.

Consequently, Emirates don’t give me enough of a reason to remain so loyal

Last edited by schmalex; Feb 17, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You mentioned in the OP that you fly business class, so you'd get lounge access anyway.

Anyway, I'd never be loyal to any airline just because I had status. Price and convenience are my priority.
Bouncingsouls and scottienz69 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by schmalex

Clearly. However, it’s limited to when you’re flying Emirates. Obviously.

My point is, with the alliances, the major benefit is you get premium checkin / lounge access across a multitude of airlines regardless of class of travel (assuming you have the required status).

This is of significant value to me as I only use Emirates for Ling Haul and then other carriers for short hops when I’m in my destination region (for example, a typical trip for me involves meetings in 3 or 4 places out of a mix of KL, Singapore, Hanoi, Tokyo, Jakarta, Manila, Seoul and Taipei over a 12 day period. I would only use Emirates for the run from UK to my first stop in Asia and then from my last stop back to UK. I’ll typically do 4 or 5 short haul flights during the trip to hop between locations.

It is these, shorter, flights where the benefit of lounge access / premium check-in really helps take the sting out of it.

Consequently, Emirates don’t give me enough of a reason to remain so loyal
just stick to gold on EK - if you fly enough to be plat you should be able to get ow gold too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.