Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "subject to government approval" mean?

What does "subject to government approval" mean?

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

"Service between EWR and ICN is subject to government approval"

Looking to book EWR-SFO-ICN in May, and when I use Kayak, this message comes up,
  1. "Service between EWR and ICN is subject to government approval"

If I book the trip, and for whatever reason, "government approval" isn't granted, will UA re-route me accordingly? Or am I taking a risk here?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
It looks like this is UA805, the additional 4x weekly SFO-ICN service that starts on 4/1. If so that should be a formality as the US and South Korea have an Open Skies agreement. I had the same message when booking the second daily SFO-SIN service (UA29) before it launched and the message disappeared the day of that flights inaugural.

The only reason I say should be a formality instead of will be is that the only thing I can see that would prevent it being approved would be another government shutdown. But that doesnt look as though its happning so you should be fine.

Have a great trip.
nancypants and pitz like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Adding on, not only does it happen when there's a new route, but also when there's an aircraft change on a route. I remember when SFO-HKG went from a 747 to a 77W, and people were getting the same message
pitz likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pitz
If I book the trip, and for whatever reason, "government approval" isn't granted, will UA re-route me accordingly? Or am I taking a risk here?
Yes, they will re-route you. Either on a different route, or move you to a different airline. Or (for the reasons Lubey has stated) change the route to a different airline if they have the relevant approvals.

In effect, it would just be treated like any other advanced cancellation and/or aircraft swap.
pitz likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.