Wiki Posts
Search

SN: How to find cancellation reasons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Question SN: How to find cancellation reasons

Hello. I tried to find a general thread about how to find cancellation reasons for the LH group but I had no luck...
I would like to find out why exactly the flight SN3160 MXP-BRU was cancelled on 15/02/19. Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction, please?

Thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
The best way is to ask SN, but it appears from FlightStats that they cancelled this flight already early on the day after some initial equipment changes (CityJet to Air Nostrum, it appears). Doesn't look like extra-ordinary at first sight.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=990069812
Old Feb 16, 2019, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichielR
The best way is to ask SN, but it appears from FlightStats that they cancelled this flight already early on the day after some initial equipment changes (CityJet to Air Nostrum, it appears). Doesn't look like extra-ordinary at first sight.

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=990069812
Thanks. I was quoted "Operational reasons", but I wanted to be sure regarding why they cancelled it 23h before departure.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:01 am

@Lefly,

You’re not having much luck with SN are you!

I’m fairly confident the flight got ‘proactively’ cancelled due to strike (ENAV eventually managed to postpone it but there were some minor unions which apparently went ahead anyway, I’m saying this because I also got affected).

G
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
@Lefly,

You’re not having much luck with SN are you!

I’m fairly confident the flight got ‘proactively’ cancelled due to strike (Enav postponed it but there were some minor unions which went ahead anyway, I’m saying this because I also got affected).

G
Well, in 6 years of "infrequent" flying with them it basically never happened until now. Let's hope we're ok for the next 6 months at least
I know about that strike, I monitored the news and various sources over it; however I'm not totally convinced it was the reason and that's why asked if possible to find an official written reason.
May I politely ask if you had a flight cancelled too that day, or do you mean you were booked on that same flight?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Lefly
Well, in 6 years of "infrequent" flying with them it basically never happened until now. Let's hope we're ok for the next 6 months at least
I know about that strike, I monitored the news and various sources over it; however I'm not totally convinced it was the reason and that's why asked if possible to find an official written reason.
May I politely ask if you had a flight cancelled too that day, or do you mean you were booked on that same flight?
Hang on, there was a strike also on 15/02? I thought it was only 13/02.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:52 am

I was supposed to get to Verona and my flight got cancelled, corporate travel agent told me that there was a strike in Italy and that the only alternative was the evening service from Munich (which was pointless as I had a CMO visit scheduled in the early afternoon) so I just sacked it off (too much business travel, any excuse not to is always good enough ). Whether the agent was right or not je ne sais pas but they’re normally pretty switched on with things like that, reason why I posted.

G
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:03 am

So a general strike in Belgium on 13 Feb & SN pro-actively cancelling all its flights plus a strike in Italy on 15 Feb? That Italian strike, of which I was not aware, would have been a reason for the cancellation of SN3160...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:18 am
Original Poster

I was supposed to get to Verona and my flight got cancelled, corporate travel agent told me that there was a strike in Italy and that the only alternative was the evening service from Munich (which was pointless as I had a CMO visit scheduled in the early afternoon) so I just sacked it off (too much business travel, any excuse not to is always good enough ). Whether the agent was right or not je ne sais pas but they’re normally pretty switched on with things like that, reason why I posted.

G
So a general strike in Belgium on 13 Feb & SN pro-actively cancelling all its flights plus a strike in Italy on 15 Feb? That Italian strike, of which I was not aware, would have been a reason for the cancellation of SN3160...
I still don't think it's because of the strike... LX and LH flights arrived/departed no problem in the afternoon, IB too... even Ryanair didn't cancel anything for what I know of.
Beside, considering a strike is an extraordinary circumstance, why state it was for operational reasons?

AlicorporateUK. I don't remember to have seen Verona mentioned on the government strike webpage, but I can be of course wrong In any case good it worked out well for you!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:21 am

I still don't think it's because of the strike... LX and LH flights arrived/departed no problem in the afternoon, IB too... even Ryanair didn't cancel anything for what I know of.
Beside, considering a strike is an extraordinary circumstance, why state it was for operational reasons?

AlicorporateUK. I don't remember to have seen Verona mentioned on the government strike webpage, but I can be of course wrong In any case good it worked out well for you!
Just did a quick search - apparently an Italian ATC strike was announced but called off. SN may have been too proactive in cancelling & when the strike was called off forgot to reinstate the flight. Compensation might be due if that's the case...
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:35 am

AlicorporateUK. I don't remember to have seen Verona mentioned on the government strike webpage
Nor do I but then I looked at the arrivals’ page and noticed that both Munich and Frankfurt flights had been cancelled plus a few others (including BA) here and there. Again, it could just be that the agent had an internal communication/alert about the strike and used that as an ‘easy escape’ (not that I particularly cared to be perfectly honest with you as I had just made it back to Bosnia from the US on another work trip and couldn’t really be bothered...). Fingers crossed for you anyway.

G
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:39 am

Just did a quick search - apparently an Italian ATC strike was announced but called off. SN may have been too proactive in cancelling & when the strike was called off forgot to reinstate the flight. Compensation might be due if that's the case...
That was also my assumption plus whilst the ATC strike got called off there were however other ‘minor’ strikes affecting airport personnel, baggage handlers and even Alitalia/Air Italy’s cabin crew (the former i.e. AZ doesn’t seem to have been affected at all whereas I noticed several cancellations from the latter).

G
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:01 am
Original Poster

The ENAV strike was called off at least 2 days before the announced date for the strike. The SN flight was cancelled less than an hour after check-in online opened. Talk about "communications" problems

Nor do I but then I looked at the arrivals’ page and noticed that both Munich and Frankfurt flights had been cancelled plus a few others (including BA) here and there. Again, it could just be that the agent had an internal communication/alert about the strike and used that as an ‘easy escape’ (not that I particularly cared to be perfectly honest with you as I had just made it back to Bosnia from the US on another work trip and couldn’t really be bothered...). Fingers crossed for you anyway.

G
Thanks. If there was a strike forcing to cancel flights was a strange one... they usually draw more media attention when they do one, but this time...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Update. Cancellation wasn't due to (any) strike.
Chapeau to SN Customer Service (EC261 compensation awarded).
MichielR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.