BA first to New york

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

BA first to New york

Please can someone help me.
i am booking a return first class flight from LHR to NYC 26th dec to 1st jan.
I usually fly into JFK (not with BA) but I’m not sure it’s worth the risk with the old 747 in operation. I’ve checked the flight map and it doesn’t seem to be the updated first.
other option is the 777 to JFK, or the 787 to EWR.

In your opinion, which is the best first class option.
I’m staying in midtown so I think either airport works, but I did fancy trying the new lounge at JFK.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
How about outbound to EWR inbound from JFK. That's what I'm doing in October. Then you get the best of both worlds a 789 out and the BA concorde room at JFK with a short visit to the newly refurbished F lounge.
John

Last edited by thejohn; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:25 pm Reason: typo's
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk Louise

I’d maybe take the 787 to EWR if it’s got First, its very nice in a day flight. On the return why not try the 747? It’s still a great aircraft and you can visit the Concorde Lounge at JFK too
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
opps sorry Louise84 welcome to FT I'm sure on of our ambassadors will be along shortly to give you a formal welcome.
John
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.
Would you say there is any disadvantage flying into EWR over JFK?
I didn’t think about doing this to be honest!

is the 787 better than then 777 in first?
If not, I could just fly on a 777 to and from JFK if easier.

Thank you

Louise
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
well the difference in F on 747 v 777 may only be the entertainment system but they are pretty consistent with the refurb'd 747s on the route.

my only concern/wonder is if the 787 is a permanent fixture on the EWR-LHR route--which I haven't done the research as I dont care for EWR from a personal perspective of 10 years living in NYC.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
What is it that appeals about the 777 to you? For my money the 777 may have better IFE, but the seats are very similar to the 747. However, the 747 cabin has a nice feel to it especially if you can get into row 1 or 2.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thejohn
How about outbound to EWR inbound from JFK. That's what I'm doing in October. Then you get the best of both worlds a 789 out and the BA concorde room at JFK with a short visit to the newly refurbished F lounge.
John
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Welcome to Flyertalk Louise

I’d maybe take the 787 to EWR if it’s got First, its very nice in a day flight. On the return why not try the 747? It’s still a great aircraft and you can visit the Concorde Lounge at JFK too
opps sorry Louise84 welcome to FT I'm sure on of our ambassadors will be along shortly to give you a formal welcome.
John
Originally Posted by johnaalex
What is it that appeals about the 777 to you? For my money the 777 may have better IFE, but the seats are very similar to the 747. However, the 747 cabin has a nice feel to it especially if you can get into row 1 or 2.
I have checked seat guru and it seems to be all old 747 on the JFK route on that dates I’m flying, wouldn’t mind if it was the refurbed planes. Row 1 also seems to be blocked on all flights. So I thought safest bet to avoid disappointment might be to fly on the 777?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
well the difference in F on 747 v 777 may only be the entertainment system but they are pretty consistent with the refurb'd 747s on the route.

my only concern/wonder is if the 787 is a permanent fixture on the EWR-LHR route--which I haven't done the research as I dont care for EWR from a personal perspective of 10 years living in NYC.
Thank you, that helps. If there isn’t much different I think I’d rather JFK just because I’m used to it, and think it would be best to get to Lotte New York palace in midtown.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT!

there isn’t any new F product. The ones on the 777 and 747 are pretty much the same, the 789 F is a revised F seat but not really massively different.

Generally JFK is served by the super J 747s which have all been refreshed in the last years and have the new Panasonic IFE - which frankly is the best IFE out of the BA fleet. Also bear in mind the 787 does not have buddy dining so you can’t dine together in F.

lhr-jfk on 26 December all four 747 flights are showing as currently being operated by super J aircraft so would all refurbished

tbh my choice to NYC would always be 747 to JFK

EDIT: just to add on any of the three aircraft 1a/k are blocked unless you are a BA gold/GGL. If they are not taken by about three days before they are avilable to anyone in F to select.
Padmeister and rockflyertalk like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 22, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Welcome to FT!

there isn’t any new F product. The ones on the 777 and 747 are pretty much the same, the 789 F is a revised F seat but not really massively different.

Generally JFK is served by the super J 747s which have all been refreshed in the last years and have the new Panasonic IFE - which frankly is the best IFE out of the BA fleet. Also bear in mind the 787 does not have buddy dining so you can’t dine together in F.

lhr-jfk on 26 December all four 747 flights are showing as currently being operated by super J aircraft so would all refurbished

tbh my choice to NYC would always be 747 to JFK
Thank you for your reply.
Where is the best place for my to check the aircraft being used? It’s possible I was looking at the wrong thing!!

As Row 1 is blocked, would you recommend Row 2?

Thank you
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:00 pm

Row 1 is reserved for BA gold and above until 72hrs before your departure so you may be able to grab it if not booked. As for aircraft they can change a very short notice so don't bank on one particular type due to operational changes. Row 2 is good their isn't really a bad first seat just some are better than others.
John
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i appreciate row 1 for the novelty but honestly find it too close to the seat across the aisle.

personal preference is if alone, row 3 which adds a good aisle separation and row 2 with a companion which is close enough but also without companion--still better than row 1.

note as you may have just joined (welcome!) some others have noted you are limited to 5 posts on first day. FYI
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:04 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I was checking expertflyer. However another way to check is by doing a dummy booking for J on the date you are looking at, if the J cabin goes all the way to row 22 on the main deck it is a super J and they are all refurbished.

Row 1 is reserved for BA gold and above until 72hrs before your departure so you may be able to grab it if not booked. As for aircraft they can change a very short notice so don't bank on one particular type due to operational changes. Row 2 is good their isn't really a bad first seat just some are better than others.
John
tbh JFK is mostly super J 747s. So whilst the registration may change I would be surprised if the flights on 26 December were operated by an unrefurbished mid J 747. If you want to more or less guarantee a super j 747 then JFK is the best route to pick.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
Just a note - I think the OP has probably come up against the 5 post limit for the first day for new posters so might not be able to post again until tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.