Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Considering an Amex Reserve card - Questions:

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:47 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

When your SkyClub entry is via the Reserve card, do you need to show the Amex card every time, or is it automatic when your boarding pass is scanned?

If it's stored in your SkyMiles account, thus not needing to produce the Card, how long does it take from the date you're approved til the date your SkyClub membership is active in your SkyMiles account?

If I hafto show the Card for entry, how long does it take for it to arrive after you're approved <I assume I'll be applying by phone>?

I'm trying to decide the appropriate time to sign up to maximize the SkyClub usage. Thanx!

I know there are a ton of Amex threads. Mods, please feel free to move this to another thread, if you find an appropriate one. I couldn't find one that applies to my questions.

Thanx! DT
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by davetravels
When your SkyClub entry is via the Reserve card, do you need to show the Amex card every time, or is it automatic when your boarding pass is scanned?

If it's stored in your SkyMiles account, thus not needing to produce the Card, how long does it take from the date you're approved til the date your SkyClub membership is active in your SkyMiles account?

If I hafto show the Card for entry, how long does it take for it to arrive after you're approved <I assume I'll be applying by phone>?

I'm trying to decide the appropriate time to sign up to maximize the SkyClub usage. Thanx!

I know there are a ton of Amex threads. Mods, please feel free to move this to another thread, if you find an appropriate one. I couldn't find one that applies to my questions.

Thanx! DT
If you are the primary user you do not need to show your CC every time, just scan you BP as usual. If you have any authorized users than they will need to show their card every time as it isn’t linked to their SM acct #. When I got my reserve card a while back, it only took a day after I was approved to show up in my DL account that I had one.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Just to add, you need not have booked your flight using the Reserve card to get club access. I stop using mine after receiving the bonus at $60K.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you have CLEAR, you can also use your fingerprints for SC access with the Reserve card, so you don't even need to show your boarding pass.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:00 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Wh
At this point the differences are pretty negligible, but it's worth noting that you don't actually get a club membership with the card. You just get access to the club (when flying DL/partners).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If you are the primary user you do not need to show your CC every time, just scan you BP as usual. If you have any authorized users than they will need to show their card every time as it isn’t linked to their SM acct #. When I got my reserve card a while back, it only took a day after I was approved to show up in my DL account that I had one.
Thanx! That's perfect! If I have an authorized user, they can get SkyClub access with me for free?

Originally Posted by vtgambler
Just to add, you need not have booked your flight using the Reserve card to get club access.
I hadn't thought of that, but, GOOD to know!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have CLEAR, you can also use your fingerprints for SC access with the Reserve card, so you don't even need to show your boarding pass.
My fingerprints never work. I had to use my eyes with Clear for a while. Just last week they made it so my thumbs work pretty well. I don't know if the SkyClub readers do thumbs, or not.

Originally Posted by pvn
At this point the differences are pretty negligible, but it's worth noting that you don't actually get a club membership with the card. You just get access to the club (when flying DL/partners).
What about companion access? Is it $29 with a Reserve card?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:36 pm

Companion is free IF they are an authorized Reserve card user on your account (which I believe costs $125 for the year). Otherwise they pay the $29 guest fee if they are traveling with you.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanx! That's perfect! If I have an authorized user, they can get SkyClub access with me for free?
If your authorized users card is a Reserve Card (which cost an additional $175 per year) than yes. If you get the free additional card! then you will be sent a DL AMEX Plat card for you additional card which would not get free SC access.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

If you get a 2nd reserve card, they can get in for free even without you. An authorized reserve user is $175 IIRC. You can get a delta platinum for an authorized user for free, but no club access for that user.

What about companion access? Is it $29 with a Reserve card?
yes.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:10 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
If you're a DM you can select the "guest pass" as one of your choice benefits, entitling you to 2 guests "who are traveling with you." Then it doesn't matter whether or not they have cards.

In my experience, "traveling with you" has not required any sort of proof or verification, and often my wife and/or son are split onto separate PNRs depending on upgrade circumstances. However we've always entered the SC together -- I haven't ever blatantly tried to guest someone in that was obviously not with me or anything like that.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My fingerprints never work. I had to use my eyes with Clear for a while. Just last week they made it so my thumbs work pretty well. I don't know if the SkyClub readers do thumbs, or not.
Like with Global Entry, always wipe your forehead with fingers before trying the fingerprint reader. Most CLEAR employees don't know this and are genuinely surprised when the trick works, while others just want to do the eye scan for everyone.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by kpbadger
If you're a DM you can select the "guest pass" as one of your choice benefits, entitling you to 2 guests "who are traveling with you." Then it doesn't matter whether or not they have cards.
well, as long as they're ... with you
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is true, but boy it's hard in JFK or SEA to actually get to the fingerprint reader without first being accosted for a boarding pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.