Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Ops 22 Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
ORD Ops 22 Jan 2019

On a flight later via ORD and I am noticing everything is delayed inbound. Showing 3 miles Vis. Is it expected to get better?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dshafiee
On a flight later via ORD and I am noticing everything is delayed inbound. Showing 3 miles Vis. Is it expected to get better?
Worse, actually.

It's just sort of dark and gray now, but we're expecting a nasty combo of snow, freezing rain, sleet, raine, etc. later in the day.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Worse, actually.

It's just sort of dark and gray now, but we're expecting a nasty combo of snow, freezing rain, sleet, raine, etc. later in the day.
I wouldn't want to be landing on a 739 in that weather mix.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I’m at ORD now, its calm with a few cancellations. It got icy at 10am but now its clear. After 2pm the worst will start.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:35 am

I am on UA945 from Frankfurt. We just landed in Milwaukee after diverting. Apparently a couple of runways are closed at ORD now due to freezing rain?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Waivers are issued. I'm on a flight to LAX tomorrow afternoon and so far it looks like the storm will have passed by then. The plane scheduled is only doing a LAX-KOA return before heading to ORD in the morning, so is out of the mess until then. I'm holding tight at the moment.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:08 pm

Made it to ORD after about an hour on the ground at MKE. I missed my connection and am stuck in Chicago for the night.

Overheard one of the pilots chatting with another passenger after we got off the plane. Apparently the runways were only closed for about 15 mins, but we had already been in a holding pattern for 30 mins and therefore had to divert because we didn’t have enough fuel to wait it out further. We were on final approach at the time so kind of frustrating, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:15 pm

Current conditions in Chicago (not that near ORD) are that the sidewalks and sidestreets are extremely slick with freezing rain / re-freezing snowmelt.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
It was a mess. Original ORD-CLE cancelled after creeping delays (on time when my inbound landed, up to 3:30 delayed before they pulled the plug--and after the inbound aircraft (From CLE) had actually gotten into the Ir, and thankful either the app or someone in the back room auto-rebookesld me on the next flight and in the correct cabin (before that the options the app was offering were all in Y)

First time I've seen a line 20+ deep at the B6 club service desk for rebooking, too. Thankful that the app/people behind the curtain did it's (their) thing, because after a night in my own bed in CLE I'm turning around to Denver tomorrow morning.

Captain on our flight was "complaining" jovially that he was supposed to be going to Nashville and was missing out on BBQ for dinner tonight
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The current temp at ORD is 31F. This means any untreated surfaces are still vulnerable to icing. The precip is rain at the moment which can freeze on contact with the colder ground (note: the ground is colder than 31F due to the overnight low of 12F).

The temperature will continue to rise in ORD and suburbs tonight and the precip should be plain rain for a good part of the evening/night. It will change back to snow tomorrow morning as the cold air comes back in.

What does this mean for ORD ops? It's gonna slow down ops for sure and ground delay programs are already in effect. The airport will have to continue to treat the runways until the temperature can get into the mid 30s (if it gets that high tonight). I'd expect a few more cancellations and definitely more delayed flights today. Tomorrow should be easier as there won't be any freezing rain and it'll transition to a snow removal and de-icing operation. It's possible it never even snows hard enough to stick. Any rain overnight that ponds will freeze tomorrow and remain around for the next week as temps don't get above freezing.

I'm about 20 miles west of ORD today and the rental car had a thick coating of ice but it was relatively easy to scrape off since the outside temp is 33F here. The roads and sidewalks are all very well treated and traffic is moving at normal speeds.

-RM
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
current FAA ground delay program has delays averaging over 5 hours. winning!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
current FAA ground delay program has delays averaging over 5 hours. winning!
I'll see your 5 hours and raise you 6 hours and 18 minutes

Due to WEATHER / SNOW-ICE and WEATHER / SNOW-ICE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Chicago OHare International Airport, Chicago, IL (ORD). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 6 hours and 18 minutes
PurdueFlyer, wxguy and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (January 22, 2019 - January 23, 2019)

Airports:
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​
Rebook by January 26, 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx#ExceptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code: 1+

David

Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Current conditions in Chicago (not that near ORD) are that the sidewalks and sidestreets are extremely slick with freezing rain / re-freezing snowmelt.
i can confirm that is the case! Although I’m getting some great photo ops from the unplanned delay

wrp96, JetJunkie, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
DAY-ORD was FUBARed today (after I nearly got scrod coming in). It looks like pretty much nothing from central/southwestern Ohio made it to ORD after this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.