Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Chase MP Explorer card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Denied Chase MP Explorer card

OK, 830 credit score, have chase reserve for about 2-3 years. Had explorer card which I canceled some 2 years ago. Applied again today denied. What am I doing wrong here.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
If you are USA based, they will be required to give the reason for denial. Expect a letter in the next week or so.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:58 pm

Is this applicable in your situation? (Chase 5/24 rule?)

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/cred...hase-524-rule/
AirMiles2001 and rickg523 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leti2016
OK, 830 credit score, have chase reserve for about 2-3 years. Had explorer card which I canceled some 2 years ago. Applied again today denied. What am I doing wrong here.
UA has nothing to do with your rejection.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Call Chases recon line, tons of info via Google on that. My guess too is the 5/24 rule that was linked above. One way around that I believe that still works is to go apply in person at a branch.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by leti2016
The “some” could be the problem. If the bonus for the last one posted to your United account less than 24 months ago, you’re ineligible for a new one.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As Chase makes this determination and not United, this discussion is best in the Chase forum - will move it there.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 19, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
It is likely due to either:

a. 5/24 rule (as others have mentioned)

or

b. You are ineligible for the card because you've received the bonus for the MP Explorer card within the last 24 months.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:16 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
If you are USA based, they will be required to give the reason for denial. Expect a letter in the next week or so.
Don't bank on them telling you why. When I got rejected, a letter arrived simply saying you have been denied. When I called in to find out why (since I have had a United Visa Signature for years without problem), they could not give me any reason. And my credit score was even higher than OP's. So I applied for a Chase Sapphire instead and bingo! Approved immediately.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

Subscribed, curious what the reason was
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The “some” could be the problem. If the bonus for the last one posted to your United account less than 24 months ago, you’re ineligible for a new one.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It is likely due to either:

b. You are ineligible for the card because you've received the bonus for the MP Explorer card within the last 24 months.
Typically this makes one ineligible for the bonus points, but not for the card itself, that's why I think it's most likely 5/24. If I were the OP I'd be on the phone with the Chase recon line ASAP, they might overturn it right there on the phone after a few questions. It sucks to lose out on the benefits of this card over a technicality if that's what's going on. So if it's 5/24, then there are possible ways around it in most cases. It could be something totally unrelated as well, happened to me on both my Sapphire and MP Explorer cards, was transferred to Fraud protection (seemingly due to a recent address change) before they'd issue the the cards but was instantly approved for both after a few questions with very good limits.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Typically this makes one ineligible for the bonus points, but not for the card itself, that's why I think it's most likely 5/24.
Chase does not issue cards if the applicant is ineligible for the bonus.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
....a letter arrived simply saying you have been denied. ....
Do you still have the letter? A reason is always stated. It may be too vague to be helpful, but it is in the letter.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Another possibility is that your aggregate credit line with Chase has exceeded what Chase feels comfortable with. Or may be you already have too many Chase cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.