Pros and cons of a Residence Inn

Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Pros and cons of a Residence Inn

I have never stayed at an RI but I note that the point earnings are lower but do you still get a full night credit? I seem to recall some brands only gave a night credit for every second or third night but can't find it written anywhere, either by searching FT or within the T& C. Also what about breakfast? I am assuming that there is no lounge but am I wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:05 pm

Yes you get a full night credit, half the points, and a hot breakfast. There is no lounge. As a 50/50 Hilton/MR person, Homewood blows RI out of the water.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
You are thinking of Marriott Executive Apartments getting one Elite night credit for every three nights stayed. Pretty much everything else is one night stay equals one night credit.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hhoope01
You are thinking of Marriott Executive Apartments getting one Elite night credit for every three nights stayed. Pretty much everything else is one night stay equals one night credit.
You also get some sort of evening reception (free for all) three or four days a week, perhaps typically something like 5-6:30 Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, although on some nights it might be just the opportunity to buy something from a food truck and charge it to your room and other nights could be just ice cream and waffles. Some RIs give free wine and beer, perhaps just once a week.

Breakfast includes hot items and should have bacon and/or turkey Canadian bacon some mornings rather than just a form of sausage every day. It will probably include fruit like melon and do it yourself waffles.

Most RI rooms are small one bedroom suites with a sleeper sofa in the living room, one bathroom, and a kitchen (dishes etc. provided) with full size refrigerator, full size dishwasher, microwave, and stovetop but no oven (with few exceptions, only in two bedroom units).

During the week RI customers tend to be business travelers, including some visiting IT workers on long term assignments, insurance adjusters, construction workers, etc. On weekends and around holidays, RIs tend to fill with families having *many* small children. [It's not unusual to see four preschool kids emerge from a one bedroom suite.] You also sometimes see school athletic groups that might or might not be effectively supervised.

Older RIs tend to have outdoor corridors, but generally not the newer ones.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Thanks for everybody's response. It makes my decisions a lot easier.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Not all RI's are created equally. The one in Downtown Cleveland is pretty awesome. Great location and cool historic building (2 full baths and kitchen with oven in a one bedroom)

The view from our bedroom
The one in downtown Memphis, great location, historic building, awesome rooftop and an incredible staff.

Don't write an RI just because of the .5 earning, a few of them (for me) more than make up in other areas.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
In my experience I choose them in spite of the half earning because they have the quiet air conditioning, not the exposed, rumbly kind. Unusual at that star level and price point.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I agree the Cleveland Downtown RI is exceptional. I would routinely stay there even though I tend to avoid RI's due to the lower point earning rate. IIRC The RI in Columbus Downtown was also very nice though not as good as Cleveland. When they are well done, properties in older historic buildings can be quite nice and exceed brand standards. I have also seen some real dogs in older historic buildings (though not MR Family Hotels).

--Jon
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
There definitely are some good RIs in the system. I usually only stay at one when I'm with the family and try to find the one with 2BR suites.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I find RIs can be effective when burning certs and points for rooms, where the earn rate isn't a factor. Those are when I am on personal travel, and can appreciate the extra space in the room as well.
Obviously not a luxury choice, but for a free night in a smaller city somewhere, works well...
Twickenham and Seabilly like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Despite the half earning rate RI are generally a great choice when traveling with family and young kids, because :
- you can make your home food (save money and time without having to get to a restaurant every day)
- you generally have a sofa bed, and often 1 bedroom (er even 2 bedrooms) suites.
- When traveling with the family they IME they upgrade us more often than not (got a two bedroom suite in Cambridge, MA, 2 minutes away from the T, instead of a base studio paid with points)

That's said, if I am just myself on a work / business trip and plan to go to the restaurant I would chose another brand...
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Many/most Residence Inn's in the US have central heat/Air and not the under window PAC. This is big for me as it is usually quieter.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Pros:

* Rooms are more like small apartments, with bedroom, living room, kitchen (fridge, microwave, stove top, some have ovens), so more space & ability to cook if one wants to
* Hot breakfast daily
* Evening offerings Mon-Wed (food, beer/wine, soda)
* Market where one can buy some food/snacks/toiletries if needed
* Quieter a/c
* Pet friendly (for those who travel w/ pets)

Cons:

* 5pts/$ spend vs. 10pts/$ spend

Cheers.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Also most have self serve laundry facilities. Obviously, on a multi night road trip, having a laundry really helps in less packing.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Pro:
- They offer grocery shopping for you, though I've never used it.
- Full size fridge
- Microwaved popcorn
- Large size
- Good value

Con:
- Housekeeping is a hit or miss
- Some don't have a desk to work on, just a kitchen table
- Bathroom is very basic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.