Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else been checked in as another passenger?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness

My brother - whose surname is Andrews and is BAEC Gold had this unfortunate experience at Heathrow T5 today.

"I flew from SYD to Hong Kong ok, then Hong Kong to Helsinki, and lastly Helsinki to Oslo.

At Oslo I had to collect my bags and recheck in with BA as the Finnair flights couldn’t be linked. BA then told me they couldn’t link my flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh as they were separate bookings so I also had to collect my bags at Heathrow and check in afresh. That’s where it went pear shaped.

I went to the First Wing check in and handed over my Gold card. The woman said I wasn’t registered for a flight and I told her I was. Eventually she agreed I was going to Edinburgh but said I couldn’t take two bags. I said as I was Gold I could take two bags and had brought two down on the original half of the booking. Eventually she relented but printed a boarding pass that said I was group 4. I pointed out I should be Group 1 and she wrote that in in pen.

I had to argue my way into the Spa for a shower by showing my Gold card and then argue my way back to the First Lounge. At that point I noted my seat was 9B - ie middle of row and row with no air conditioning. I went to Customer Services and had it changed for 10F.

Then I was refused boarding for my flight. Turns out the original girl who checked me in confused me for a Mr Andrew Dxxxxx who is on a later flight to Edinburgh. My luggage is all tagged in his name and was scheduled for his flight. I lost it at that point.

I am now on a 1820 (instead of 1640) flight and have been upgraded to Club Europe. God knows what will happen to my baggage. I have asked how it is possible to check someone in under a false identity in 2019. Just what I needed at the last leg of a 36 hour trip home!"
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
confused as your original itinerary states you end in OSL? so we are missing a piece to be of any help.

also thru-checking bags hasnt been allow for ages, so no surprise.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Cutting out all the extraneous information - is it simply that
Passenger went to check in desk in London for a domestic flight
A mistake was made and the wrong person was checked in
Boarding was refused?

On many routes I travel , it is easy to check someone else in - no id is generally needed for domestic travel here

Yes, the airline made a mistake, but did the passenger not actually check that the boarding pass was in his name and for the flight he was booked at any point - such as when finding the seat was incorrect or the group was wrong or that the status didn't allow access to the lounge?

I don't think that it isn't an unreasonable expectation for a passenger to check that the boarding pass given is their boarding pass

he might be eligible for EC261 compensation of EUR125

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:44 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Your bro had a tad of bad luck: It was the end of a long journey so he probably did not read the boarding pass nor did he check on his app if it all computed. On top of that as the leg was domestic he did not need his ID as an input, at which point the mistake would have been picked up. He should complain about the denied boarding caused by BA’s error and pick some compo.

As an aside, SYD HKG HEL OSL LHR EDI is a hell of an itinerary rather than, say SYD DXB EDI !
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had similar in DXB a few years ago. I wasn't able to check in online for my DXB - LHR - BRU flight and when I tried to check in at the airport I was told I had already checked in. Eventually I was issued with a BP for DXB - LHR but nothing for the onward BRU flight. The BP for the LHR flight had the wrong BAEC number on it, and when I pointed this out the agent simply changed it and re-issued the BP. The BP for the LHR - BRU flight had the correct number on it, and the correct seat. The only good news in all of this was that I had been upgraded from WT+ to Club. Or so I thought.

When I went to the lounge at DXB the agent there asked me if I had any checked bags (no, none) and then asked about my wife. As I was neither married nor travelling with someone this set alarms bells ringing. It transpired that there were two passengers on the flight with the same name and, apparently, DOB.

Upon arrival at the gate the CW boarding pass was unceremoniously torn up and I was re-issued with my correct WT+ one. The staff at DXB had a real couldn't care less attitude. The CSD on board was surprised that such a mistake could have happened, especially at an outstation with just three BA flights a day.

At the end of the day I flew in my booked cabin, and I wasn't denied boarding. It was frustrating and a little disconcerting that in spite of all the red flags BA staff at DXB didn't spot the discrepancy but there you go.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

OT I know but we had this a 4* Heathrow recently.

We booked a room with parking. Checked in as Mr A Marshy and were greeted as Mrs M Marshy and partner (that fits). They couldn't find the parking part of the booking and after a few passings of phone/emails they added it to the booking. When they asked us which room we would like we were a little confused but requested one away from the elevator.....

Some hours later (10pm) we were in bed watching the news, when the door was opened (loose lock on) by someone.

Turns out the real Mrs M Marshy had checked in via e-mobile and was trying to enter our room.

What followed was rather unfortunate (hotel staff ringing the room telling us we were to vacate immediately) but ended with us being given a free room, further visit free upgrade and profuse apologies.

Our "name" isn't common at all and the fact the booking was confirmed in my name (rather than my husbands) should have made us query it but we both have status with this hotel chain and neither of us thought it odd after a tiring trip up to Heathrow.

These things happen, we were perhaps fortunate the REAL Mr & Mrs M Marshy hadn't arrived an hour earlier when we were out eating dinner with the family silver (macs et al) on charge in the room.

Last edited by marshy11; Jan 16, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:59 pm

No, but I had my bag tagged to another passenger. I was travelling from LHR to San Diego and can only presume that the passenger before me (who was travelling to Las Vegas) had two suitcase tags printed off but only used one. I didn’t think to check my bag tags on my boarding pass until we reported a missing bag at San Diego. Trying to reclaim my bag, tagged to another name, was very difficult!!!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: QF WP
Yes! JQ at DRW. My surname is Na**** and I think the check in lady had just typed “Na” and then clicked the first one, it was only really the fact that i’d been shunted out of 1a that made me look at the rest of the boarding pass and realise i’d been checked in as Narendra NAIDU or some such. Bag was already tagged in wrong name but luckily we grabbed it and got it changed

quite hilarious as jetstar is just about the only Australian airline that has ever asked me for ID for a domestic flight!!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nancypants
Yes! JQ at DRW. My surname is Na**** and I think the check in lady had just typed “Na” and then clicked the first one, it was only really the fact that i’d been shunted out of 1a that made me look at the rest of the boarding pass and realise i’d been checked in as Narendra NAIDU or some such. Bag was already tagged in wrong name but luckily we grabbed it and got it changed

quite hilarious as jetstar is just about the only Australian airline that has ever asked me for ID for a domestic flight!!
I have always been asked for identification when checking in with a person at QF and VA - with none of them have I needed identification if checked in online and go straight to the gate
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Diamond; others
Yes, I have been checked in as the wrong person a couple of times on AA and once on BA. In one case the other person had the same surname but a different first name (same initial though). On all occasions it took a non-trivial amount of polite persistence on my part to get the check-in/gate staff to accept there was a mistake (rather than their initial assumption that I was just trying to blag access to group 1 etc.) and for them to fix it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ned1968
My brother - whose surname is Andrews and is BAEC Gold had this unfortunate experience at Heathrow T5 today.

"I flew from SYD to Hong Kong ok, then Hong Kong to Helsinki, and lastly Helsinki to Oslo.

At Oslo I had to collect my bags and recheck in with BA as the Finnair flights couldn’t be linked. BA then told me they couldn’t link my flight from Heathrow to Edinburgh as they were separate bookings so I also had to collect my bags at Heathrow and check in afresh. That’s where it went pear shaped.

I went to the First Wing check in and handed over my Gold card. The woman said I wasn’t registered for a flight and I told her I was. Eventually she agreed I was going to Edinburgh but said I couldn’t take two bags. I said as I was Gold I could take two bags and had brought two down on the original half of the booking. Eventually she relented but printed a boarding pass that said I was group 4. I pointed out I should be Group 1 and she wrote that in in pen.

I had to argue my way into the Spa for a shower by showing my Gold card and then argue my way back to the First Lounge. At that point I noted my seat was 9B - ie middle of row and row with no air conditioning. I went to Customer Services and had it changed for 10F.

Then I was refused boarding for my flight. Turns out the original girl who checked me in confused me for a Mr Andrew Dxxxxx who is on a later flight to Edinburgh. My luggage is all tagged in his name and was scheduled for his flight. I lost it at that point.

I am now on a 1820 (instead of 1640) flight and have been upgraded to Club Europe. God knows what will happen to my baggage. I have asked how it is possible to check someone in under a false identity in 2019. Just what I needed at the last leg of a 36 hour trip home!"
That is insane. How can a system mistake passengers?!
I presume it's the people who made the error...
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Not checked in as another passenger but I’ve had my mother issued with my boarding pass! Travelling together, I checked us both in on line and as we would be travelling to airport separately I suggested she collect her boarding pass at the BA desk. I met her in the lounge and, come boarding, boarded ahead of her to stow hand baggage and let her finish her glass of bubbles. I was slightly nervous when boarding seemed complete but for her absence. The computer at the gate wouldn’t let her board as she was allegedly already boarded. At that point it was realised that she had a paper version of my boarding pass (mine was on the app). We share the same first initial and surname. How she got through security and into the lounge holding a boarding pass for a male I’ll never know!

On a separate note I have had QF issue a new ticket for me due to a name issue. Back in the days of paper tickets they couldn’t find my reservation but said they would reissue ticket but on a codeshare (only availability left). Only at their ticket desk, sent to make sure rest of ticket wasn’t voided, did it transpire that the first letter of my surname on paper ticket had become covered by a sticker. Cue lots of backtracking and un-rebooking and insistence on my bag, now down the belt, being retagged. “What does it look like?” “Black rucksack”. “They’ve found it”. New label sent down the belt on a tray! Amazingly the bag arrived at destination with new tag!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Ned1968
I have asked how it is possible to check someone in under a false identity in 2019.
Not all that many years ago I checked in for an international flight at MAN and was issued with my boarding pass. Went through security and arrived at the lounge where I was told I was not entitled to enter as I had no FFP status. At that point I realised that I had been checked in as another passenger whose name and credentials were nothing at all like mine. The lounge staff called the check in desk who eventually brought me the right pass. What I remember most of all was that when I did receive the new pass the agent said something like "Don't worry, it happens all the time".

I do wonder just how far I would have got if I hadn't used the lounge that day.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:37 pm

Not BA, but it was Iberian so maybe close enough?

My father and I checked in separately for different flights with different destinations. Our surnames are the same, but our first names aren't similar.

We somehow got switched, but I was able to recognize what happened before our luggage got sent off.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Not once, but TWICE, I have gotten on board, only to find someone already seated in my assigned seat. Comparing boarding passes, the two of us have BOTH been assigned to the SAME seat. This has happened both Pre-9/11 and Post-9/11. I remember thinking both times that it didn't speak well for Delta's passenger accounting. Worse yet, Post-9/11? That didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.