Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta surplus sale - Pretty Cool for DL Enthusiasts...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM

Saw this in The NY Times and was wondering how many FTers have been to this sale and made some purchases: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/t...rage-sale.html

If I had actual space in my house, I'd actually buy a lot of this stuff. In fact, I'd redesign my garage or basement as an entertainment space with this stuff

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 16, 2019 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Stocking Up at [Delta] Airline’s Garage Sale

https://nyti.ms/2HfiFH8

...."It may be hard to imagine liking an airline enough to buy its old silverware and service carts, but at a monthly sale, lovers of Delta Air Lines snap up decommissioned items."....
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:45 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I went to this sale once, with Sky303. It was fun, but, all I bought was an older logo Delta coffee mug for $1. It would be hard to take most of the bigger / better stuff home on a plane, unless you happen to live around ATL somewhere.

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
I went to this sale once, with Sky303. It was fun, but, all I bought was an older logo Delta coffee mug for $1. It would be hard to take most of the bigger / better stuff home on a plane, unless you happen to live around ATL somewhere.

They did have a photo of someone loading seats into their pickup truck. If you actually live in Atlanta, you could bring a your pickup down and load it up.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Was surprised to read in the story that only half of the galley carts sold. I thought they always sold quickly.

One thing I miss about the old museum is that it always had some old Delta stuff for sale. Now I think that stuff is only available at the monthly sale.

Next sale February 8th......

https://www.deltamuseum.org/events/e...r/surplus-sale
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I will check that one out. Have a late morning flight out of ATL that day.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Because nothing screams out Delta Airlines like a frequency generator (?) and 40 year old scope.

I would like to raid the pile that stuff came from though.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Always wanted to attend, but it's kind of hard to get a seat/galley cart when you don't live in the Atlanta area lol.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I’ve taken advantage of this. I have a pair of old Business Elite seats from a 767-300 in the “Man Cave”. I flew down one-way from DAY to Atlanta, stayed overnight at the Renaissance (with a runway view of course) and then rented a Uhaul van and drove the seats back to Ohio. Also used the morning to tour the DL museum before making the drive back to Ohio. Been wanting to get back to Atlanta since to spend more time in the Heritage Museum and maybe even do the old 737-200 simulator.

I’m close to DFW though I have no idea if AA does surplus sales at their museum at DFW like DL does.
CalebMCO and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Not Delta, but when Independence Air went out of business they brought in a company to auction off all of their stuff out at Dulles. It was hilarious to see what was for sale. A guy from Allegiant bought all of the check-in kiosks.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I think I'll try to go on Feb. 8.

I didn't know about this sale, but I knew that there were businesses selling decommissioned parts. I'm also still upset that I didn't buy a roll of PDX carpet when they redid the airport.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
They did have a photo of someone loading seats into their pickup truck. If you actually live in Atlanta, you could bring a your pickup down and load it up.
Does everyone who lives in the ATL area own a pickup truck?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does everyone who lives in the ATL area own a pickup truck?
Have you been to Georgia? Yes, everyone in the South owns a pick-up truck, or at worst, has a next door neighbor who has a pick-up truck. By not owning pick-up truck if you live in the South, you stand out as one of them d*** Yankees.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Have you been to Georgia? Yes, everyone in the South owns a pick-up truck, or at worst, has a next door neighbor who has a pick-up truck. By not owning pick-up truck if you live in the South, you stand out as one of them d*** Yankees.
I resemble this remark.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’ve taken advantage of this. I have a pair of old Business Elite seats from a 767-300 in the “Man Cave”. I flew down one-way from DAY to Atlanta, stayed overnight at the Renaissance (with a runway view of course) and then rented a Uhaul van and drove the seats back to Ohio. Also used the morning to tour the DL museum before making the drive back to Ohio. Been wanting to get back to Atlanta since to spend more time in the Heritage Museum and maybe even do the old 737-200 simulator.

I’m close to DFW though I have no idea if AA does surplus sales at their museum at DFW like DL does.
How did you know before going to the show when you rented the Uhaul van that they were going to have old BusimessElite seats? Or did you just rent it and pray they’d have them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.