Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau - Ottawa {CAN}

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau - Ottawa {CAN}

Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gatineau - Ottawa {CAN}

Doubletree by Hilton Gatineau-Ottawa

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

1170 Chemin D' Aylmer Gatineau, QC CA J9H7L3

DoubleTree by Hilton Gatineau-Ottawa {CAN} (7 Photos)

I stayed a few times at DT Gatineau in the past but I never bothered posting a review.  I noticed there was not even a thread on FT so hopefully my review will be useful to some. Depending on the time of year, this hotel can be the cheapest Hilton option in the Ottawa region and you might be favorably surprised by what you get for the price tag.

IMG_1646.jpeg

The one weakness of the hotel might be location. If you do not have a car this will not be your hotel of choice, but if you do then parking is free and you are not far from Ottawa downtown.  In the summer the hotel is more popular being on a golf course.  In the winter the flip side is that you can get a very competitive price especially if you have a car.  

Room

The hotel has the look of a small castle from the outside, and in some public spaces indoors it is a bit old.  However the rooms were clearly redone recently.  I have stayed in maybe three different room types in this hotel and none of them were bad.  This time I booked the basic room on a points redemption and I was upgraded to a King 2-room premium suite which is the highest category room.  I would note that there is not a big cash difference between the basic room and the top room category, and all of them are relatively roomy – in fact I think this is probably one of the hotels with the cheapest price per square foot in the region so this hotel will be attractive to people who value having a large room.  Because the basic room is quite decent, this means I never worry about whether I will get an upgrade or not at this hotel.  The room type I got on this stay has a separate living from the bedroom including a sofa bed and a fireplace.  The same fireplace is also on the bedroom room side so you can enjoy it from two different rooms which is a definite plus in the winter.  The angled walls add to the special chalet feeling and is very different from standard cookie-cutter rooms you would find at other hotels in Ottawa for example Hampton Inn, Courtyard, TownePlace Suites, etc.  The entire room has tiles which I prefer to hotels with carpet.  The bathroom was nicely redone and is quite expansive.  I wish it had a stand-alone shower but unfortunately it’s in a bathtub and also water pressure was not that great.  

IMG_1640.jpegIMG_1641.jpegIMG_1642.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast in the restaurant is offered until 11:30am during weekends which is conveniently late.  The food selection is nothing to write home about: standard hotel fruits, and hot choices are standard with omelets, sausages, bacon, etc. Nothing stood out in a good or bad way except perhaps that the décor is relatively interesting.

IMG_1643.jpegIMG_1644.jpegIMG_1645.jpeg

The room used for breakfast is closed in the afternoon and evening.  If you want dinner at the hotel you actually go to the independent restaurant attached to the hotel called La Ferme Rouge.  This restaurant used to be in a different location in the city but it burned down.  They reopened it at DoubleTree.  It seems to be famous in the region and was packed on a Saturday night when I stopped by.

Overall

Overall I would recommend this hotel as being good value for the price you pay and is generally a forgotten option for travelers to Ottawa simply because it’s on the other side of the river and is a poorer cousin to the very nice Hilton in Gatineau.  However if you have a car you can pay less than half the price of the Hilton and have an attractive room in decent shape, many of them suites, with far higher than average square footage.

DoubleTree by Hilton Gatineau-Ottawa {CAN}

Would you like to write a review on the Doubletree by Hilton Gatineau-Ottawa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Good review! I haven't bothered but your review accurately depicts my experience. Traffic can be bad at rush hour into downtown Ottawa getting across the bridge but it has never taken me more than 30-40 minutes, even during heavy snow. Don't use the right lane just coming out of the hotel unless you have someone else in the car on the way to downtown as police regularly ticket single drivers for using the High Occupancy Vehicle lane here.

Great prices, good upgrades (I regularly get suites with golf course/park views) and breakfasts are OK
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Thanks for the review. We like to travel up there in late September or early October and ride the very nice bike trail on the other side of the river. We have stayed at the Brookstreet Hotel near Kenata and ridden into Ottawa from there. I'Ve added the Doubletree to my list of hotels.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
We returned to DT Gatineau and I wanted to provide a couple of updates. In my previous review I mentioned that breakfast was mediocre but this has been significantly improved. As Hilton Diamonds we can now choose a meal from an a la carte menu instead of the buffet. I do not recall this menu from the past so it is possibly be new. The portions are quite large and options are interesting and less boring than the buffet.

Our room this time had a stand-alone shower rather than a shower in the bathtub which was another positive. The only issue we had during our stay was that the room was too hot. I guess in late autumn they deactivate the cooling system and they took away the handles to manually open windows to get some cool air in the room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.