Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa specific airfare?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Visa specific airfare?

Whilst reading the recent thread about denied entry to a country (Denied entry - return flight?) the following came into my head and I haven't been able to find it by Googleing:

Are there any airfares that are only for specific visa types? For example, does there exist a certain fare that can only be used on tourist visas and not business visas?

I would have thought not but it just crossed my mind anyway!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not on BA I’m sure.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not that I can think of.

*Sale restricted to residents of [country] only* maybe.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Some airlines have fares for diplomats.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And some fares are for specific employment status such as marine fares or discounts for the armed services, which in turn leads to specific visas. But in terms of the initial question, I haven't come across it.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Spain has special airfares (75% discount ) for residents of its islands ( Mallorca for example) to certain mainland destinations.

Requires residency which is sort of a visa !

Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
Spain has special airfares (75% discount ) for residents of its islands ( Mallorca for example) to certain mainland destinations.

Requires residency which is sort of a visa !
Yeah requires residencia along with a travel certificate which is only valid for 6 months before it has to be renewed. Very useful when travelling to Barcelona or Madrid as Ex-PMI fares of often very expensive. You also get 75% off the first checked baggage allowance which is useful too
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Argentina does the same!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:01 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Both JAL and ANA have discount fares only for short-term visitors. This is presumably to compete with the Japan rail pass which is also only for visitors.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think some airlines provides special fares to student visa holders.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue OP is raising arises from a thread relating to a person denied boarding on a flight to Colombia because he lacked an onwards or return ticket. That is country-specific and has little to do with the fare basis of the traveler's ticket. It is simply one way in which Colombia reduces the risk that the passenger will not leave.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Often1
The issue OP is raising arises from a thread relating to a person denied boarding on a flight to Colombia because he lacked an onwards or return ticket. That is country-specific and has little to do with the fare basis of the traveler's ticket. It is simply one way in which Colombia reduces the risk that the passenger will not leave.
I understand the case in the thread that I linked, but it just made me think that maybe there could be fare bases that limit the visa types - not necessarily building on the same topic discussed in that thread.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by marconess
Yeah requires residencia along with a travel certificate which is only valid for 6 months before it has to be renewed. Very useful when travelling to Barcelona or Madrid as Ex-PMI fares of often very expensive. You also get 75% off the first checked baggage allowance which is useful too
Alaska has their 'Club 49' program for Alaska residents, which provides additional baggage allowance when traveling with the airline as well as discounts on shipping air freight, very useful things when many parts of the state are off the road grid.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/club-49
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Marine fares come to mind...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: RFC
Saudia has a specific set of fare classes for hajii doesn't it? As in, if you get a visa for the haj it opens up a group of fares specifically for that purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.