Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA timing of Unlocking Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

AA timing of Unlocking Status

I am just a few air miles away from getting American's gold status, which of course has the perk of a free checked bag. I am on an itinerary tomorrow and return the next week. On the first flight, I will have earned enough miles to unlock American's gold status. Do those miles post after the flight or do they post until after the whole itinerary is over? I already asked AA customer service to split the two flights onto separate reservations but they said they were powerless. Kinda sucks to pay the baggage fee on the return flight when the miles were already earned.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
They should post after the flight. Usually by the following morning (if it's a night or late evening flight) it posts one day later. It has nothing to do with the round trip or one PNR.

Unless you are doing a 1 day turn, you should be fine. Just call AA after the flight posts to refresh the status on your reservation to reflect GLD

cheers and happy travels.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I find it usually takes about 24 hours for flights to post. Status updates are pretty quick also. And the outbound will post when the outbound is completed. You should be fine.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Concur with Antarius. Usually flights will post by the next morning. If your flight was a late arrival (9:00 pm or later), expect it to post one more day later than it would normally post (e.g., flight lands in RDU at 10:00 pm on Tuesday, expect the miles to post by around 6:00 am on Thursday).
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
If you are back the next week, you should have no problem with having your Gold status recognized on the return. On the outbound, you'll have to pay for the checked bag (if you do).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.