Wiki Posts
Search

DL-->KLM Interline question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
DL-->KLM Interline question

I am 1000% sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but after 10 minutes of googling I gave up, sorry for the new thread.

I am flying SFO-AMS on DL, booked in J using the 98K mile flash sale. Actually need to be in Berlin, so just booked a Y ticket on KL, AMS-TXL (booked through klm.com)

1. Can I check luggage all the way through because it is a sky team partner?

2. I am reading conflicting information on getting KL to recognize ST E+ benefits. Is there a way to get this in my KL reservation in advance? Mostly concerned about checked luggage fee.

3. I booked with a 95 minute layover. Am I crazy to do so? The next flight left with me with a 4.5 hour layover.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
1. Should be possible, was no problem for the DL agent (datapoint iirc 2 seperate tickets MSP-AMS and AMS-WAW both booked on 006 stock tough...). Other way around was sometimes more problematic.
2. Make sure to add your SM # if you havn't done it already. If you can select a preffered seat/EC with a discount and under baggage it should show:
2 piece(s) of check-in baggage
1 hand baggage + 1 accessory
as a GM (ST E+) then you're good. Otherwise you might want to make an KLM account (no FB account!) and fill in your SM #
3. Pass but would have booked that ticket also on Delta with 006-stock. DL is generally more customer friendly & flexible.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
would have booked that ticket also on Delta with 006-stock. DL is generally more customer friendly & flexible.

When I searched on delta.com AMS-TXL it said there were no tickets. It only showed mileage tickets, not cash inventory. As they tickets are relatively cheap, I want to pay cash. If I call Delta can they book the ticket on 006 stock for me?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Just called DL. They can book, but $66 more per person for the exact same flight. Is there anything I am getting that is worth $132 extra r/t for the two of us?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
When I searched on delta.com AMS-TXL it said there were no tickets. It only showed mileage tickets, not cash inventory. As they tickets are relatively cheap, I want to pay cash. If I call Delta can they book the ticket on 006 stock for me?
Yes DL can book KLM and other partnerfares over the phone. It'll ticket on 006 stock. Delta.com Online only sells DL fares, which of course there's none for route like this.

Regardless, if you already bought it from KLM, DL will still protect you if you're late. However you may need to call DL back in US to get an actual DL agent. Normally 95 minutes should be good though.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes DL can book KLM and other partnerfares over the phone. It'll ticket on 006 stock. Delta.com Online only sells DL fares, which of course there's none for route like this.

Regardless, if you already bought it from KLM, DL will still protect you if you're late. .

Meaning that if I miss my KLM flight, then DL would book me on a later KLM flight, even if I purchased that flight from KLM? Or would I be at the mercy of a KLM agent at AMS who may or may not care about my DL status?

Is it worth it to pay the higher fare ($66 a person) to get more protection from DL?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Meaning that if I miss my KLM flight, then DL would book me on a later KLM flight, even if I purchased that flight from KLM? Or would I be at the mercy of a KLM agent at AMS who may or may not care about my DL status?

Is it worth it to pay the higher fare ($66 a person) to get more protection from DL?
The KLM agent may or may not move you. However DL will as DL as ability to change KLM tickets. DL handles AF/KLM calls in US, so they have access and ability to make changes. Its why i mention you may need to call DL in US. As for the $66 dollars, yes it's easier for the DL agent to change a 006 ticket. However they certainly can do it for a 074 ticket also.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I am 1000% sure that this question has been asked and answered before, but after 10 minutes of googling I gave up, sorry for the new thread.

I am flying SFO-AMS on DL, booked in J using the 98K mile flash sale. Actually need to be in Berlin, so just booked a Y ticket on KL, AMS-TXL (booked through klm.com)

Yes. KLM is one of the exception partners for which DL will check baggage through on separate tickets. Just make sure you have a copy of the KLM ticket with you and present it at SFO so the agent can create the bag tag and tag it to your final destination.
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

3. I booked with a 95 minute layover. Am I crazy to do so? The next flight left with me with a 4.5 hour layover.
I personally wouldn't do a 95 min connection that involves an international transfer on the same ticket, but that's me. I'm not sure what DL considers MCT for US to EU at AMS, even on the same ticket. The issue here is that unless you can check in advance (website), or if you run into any issues trying to check-in online via the website for the KLM leg you will need to ensure you arrive in AMS and meet the minimum check-in time (40 minutes), which is going to shrink your minimum connection time. Run into delays and you may be cutting it close to that 40 min cutoff.

2. I am reading conflicting information on getting KL to recognize ST E+ benefits. Is there a way to get this in my KL reservation in advance? Mostly concerned about checked luggage fee.

If your bags are through-checked in SFO upon check-in the KLM bag fees won't apply on the outbound. By adding your DL # to the KLM reservation, it should eventually recognize you as STE+ and give you the appropriate benefits on the return.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Decided to keep this reservation after some back and forth. I spoke with a medallion line agent who assured me that even if I was booked on a separate KLM ticket that I would be OK in the event of IRROPS because of their specific partnership. I don't want to spend 4.5 hours at AMS after a 10 hour flight so I'm risking it, and there are several more flights that day if something happens.

I did keep the KL ticket, even though DL could book it, because as I said it was $66 more per person and that seemed to just be a waste of money.

If I get around to it I'd like to start a wiki for KLM travel, I think it would be useful.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Run into delays and you may be cutting it close to that 40 min cutoff.

If your bags are through-checked in SFO upon check-in the KLM bag fees won't apply on the outbound.

OP can check in online with KLM and get a BP before even boarding the transatlantic flight. No need to check in at AMS 40 mins before.

KLM bag fees would be waived even if he did re-check at AMS due to his SkyTeam status

I did keep the KL ticket, even though DL could book it, because as I said it was $66 more per person and that seemed to just be a waste of money.

If I get around to it I'd like to start a wiki for KLM travel, I think it would be useful.

You sure DL wasn't using their own fare instead of the KL fare?

They can plate KL fares on their ticket stock.

Also, there is an entire forum dedicated to KLM - a wiki here would be duplicative and unnecessary, IMHO.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Question how would this work EU-AMS-US (KL to DL, separate tix)?

we have a US <—>AMS award ticket in J; spending ~48 hrs in AMS outbound, but on the return we will be flying Bergen-AMS in paid coach on the sunrise flight (KL arrive ~0745, DL depart ~1030)

1- based on grouchy’s post upthread, am I correct in presuming no checked bag fees on KL (DL PM = ST Elite+)?
2- will KL check bags all the way through (BGO-AMS-DTW-RIC)?
3- am I also correct in presuming we’ll have KL lounge access in AMS prior to departing to DTW?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Also, there is an entire forum dedicated to KLM - a wiki here would be duplicative and unnecessary, IMHO.

I was thinking it would be useful in the DL forum for specific questions related to Delta pax flying KLM, so that all of that info is organized one place. It would probably make sense to be a KLM/AF combined forum, since I assume the policies are all the same. Do you think it's easy to find all of that on the KL forum? I certainly don't want to clog up the DL forum, but I think I already did with this thread, and there are often threads about this particular subset of questions that DL Sky Miles members face. So I hear you, but I'm still thinking it would be helpful and not duplicative.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jrl767
we have a US <—>AMS award ticket in J; spending ~48 hrs in AMS outbound, but on the return we will be flying Bergen-AMS in paid coach on the sunrise flight (KL arrive ~0745, DL depart ~1030)

1- based on grouchy’s post upthread, am I correct in presuming no checked bag fees on KL (DL PM = ST Elite+)?
2- will KL check bags all the way through (BGO-AMS-DTW-RIC)?
3- am I also correct in presuming we’ll have KL lounge access in AMS prior to departing to DTW?
Yes to all, plus lounge access in BGO to whomever KLM uses since you're STE+.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold

1. Yes.
2. KL is actauly very good in recognizing DL status as long as your put your SM number in during the booking or later on the KLM website.
3. No problem. Even with an US passport ( longer lines at immigration sometimes ) 95 mins is easy doable in AMS.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was thinking it would be useful in the DL forum for specific questions related to Delta pax flying KLM, so that all of that info is organized one place. It would probably make sense to be a KLM/AF combined forum, since I assume the policies are all the same. Do you think it's easy to find all of that on the KL forum? I certainly don't want to clog up the DL forum, but I think I already did with this thread, and there are often threads about this particular subset of questions that DL Sky Miles members face. So I hear you, but I'm still thinking it would be helpful and not duplicative.
Delta regulars flying other carriers will need to go into -- and search -- other forums on occasion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.