Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Call centre won't hold other OW carriers flights for redemptions any more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling

Apologies if covered elsewhere (in which case feel free to merge), but I learned today that a very recent change in policy means that the call centres won't hold other carriers flights for Avios redemptions any more (previously it was 72 hours, although the carrier sometimes grabbed the seats back quicker!). Has anyone else come up against this? Thought it was worth reporting.

GGLs can book and then change/cancel for no penalty so apart from some extra admin not too much impact for that segment but mildly annoying. Think based on the agent's comment that a significant minority were holding multiple seats and this may have led to the clampdown.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Apologies if covered elsewhere (in which case feel free to merge), but I learned today that a very recent change in policy means that the call centres won't hold other carriers flights for Avios redemptions any more (previously it was 72 hours, although the carrier sometimes grabbed the seats back quicker!). Has anyone else come up against this? Thought it was worth reporting.

GGLs can book and then change/cancel for no penalty so apart from some extra admin not too much impact for that segment but mildly annoying. Think based on the agent's comment that a significant minority were holding multiple seats and this may have led to the clampdown.
You shouldnt have ever able to hold any redemptions seats for 72 hours.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba

You shouldnt have ever able to hold any redemptions seats for 72 hours.
OK thanks. What was it before officially then? Or is the above i mentioned not a change at all!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
OK thanks. What was it before officially then? Or is the above i mentioned not a change at all!
Hold booking for a fee wasnt allowed on redemptions and agents were never allowed to hold unticketed availability for 72 hours. So no change in policy!
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was the same for any interline booking. Positive space is either booked and, if confirmed, ticketed within the time limit prescribed by the interline agreement, generally 24 hours. While agents may have thought they were holding space and it may have worked because the problems only arise if the offline carrier won't later ticket, they were not.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:37 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Never tried it on BA...

AAdvantage will hold redemptions on other OW carriers, no fee for a period, usually 4-6hrs. They’ll even give you a record locator and you can view the booking on hold.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by amt
Never tried it on BA...

AAdvantage will hold redemptions on other OW carriers, no fee for a period, usually 4-6hrs. They’ll even give you a record locator and you can view the booking on hold.
The AAdvantage hold policy is a lot more generous than that, at least for most partners. From aa.com:

"How long can I hold my AAdvantage award reservation?

The time we'll hold an award reservation depends on how many days before departure you book:
  • 5 days: When you book 15 –331 days before departure
    • 1 day: When you book 1–14 days before departure
      • Up to 2 hours before departure: When you book within 24 hours of departure

Keep in mind, certain special awards and awards that include certain airline partners may have shorter hold times."
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
For the uninitiated, holding redemption seats via BA for up to 72 hours is a GGL benefit and one that is not available to other tiers.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
For the uninitiated, holding redemption seats via BA for up to 72 hours is a GGL benefit and one that is not available to other tiers.
Right. So that was my previous experience. So I think the point is that the staff will still do this for BA redemptions but not for partners anymore.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
As you can cancel reward flights at no cost as a GGL, practically speaking what’s the benefit of holding rather than just booking and cancelling later if not needed?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by KARFA

As you can cancel reward flights at no cost as a GGL, practically speaking what’s the benefit of holding rather than just booking and cancelling later if not needed?
You know I hate to see my Avios balance decrease!!
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by KARFA

Recently I made a booking and wasn't entirely sure which day I'd need to fly (one of two possible days). There was availability on both days (but not a lot else on the route on other dates) so they held both as separate bookings and I confirmed the one I needed about 48 hours later.

Of course I could have booked both and refunded one, but had I not had the Avios balance available for that the hold would have been even more valuable.

A niche example, though.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.