Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt going to every other day housekeeping???

Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:42 am
Original Poster

See below @ the brand new Hyatt Regency Seattle...

Originally Posted by peetahvw
In an interesting cost-cutting measure - housekeeping is every other day. there’s a card in the room and they mention it at check-in. i was surprised that the card in the room didn’t just “spin” this as a environmental/green measure - but was upfront and said it was a “cost-conscious” measure.
My first reaction is, SERIOUSLY?? Is this happening elsewhere? Are other major chains dropping daily housekeeping at "full service" properties? Very significant cutback IMHO...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:57 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
As a cost saving measure, I don't know how much cutting back on the number of the lowest paid staff really adds to the bottom line ...

For me, this is not an issue in the least. We actually chose (for a F&B credit in return) every other day housekeeping during a recent 8 night stay in Maui. We still had plenty of towels, clean sheets, etc. I see this type of incentive to skip a day of housekeeping at other chains, and I'm just sad it looks like we'll be losing the extra points or $ credits for forgoing daily housekeeping.
mhdena likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
You gotta' respect them for a non-B.S. policy.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by skj
As a cost saving measure, I don't know how much cutting back on the number of the lowest paid staff really adds to the bottom line ...

For me, this is not an issue in the least. We actually chose (for a F&B credit in return) every other day housekeeping during a recent 8 night stay in Maui. We still had plenty of towels, clean sheets, etc. I see this type of incentive to skip a day of housekeeping at other chains, and I'm just sad it looks like we'll be losing the extra points or $ credits for forgoing daily housekeeping.
Housekeeping in a proper hotel is rarely the lowest paid staff. They make a surprising amount especially the more tenured ones.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Call me a traditionalist but I appreciate a (daily) made bed and fresh towels..... ESPECIALLY at full service hotels.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hyatt allows park hyatt to outsource almost everything including housekeeping

thats defacto franchise without calling it franchise (most top brands dont franchise)

new industry standard is pretty much not requiring owners to do it daily although top brands (above PH) may require owner to do it daily if the guest specifically requests
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hyatt allows park hyatt to outsource almost everything including housekeeping

thats defacto franchise without calling it franchise (most top brands dont franchise)

new industry standard is pretty much not requiring owners to do it daily although top brands (above PH) may require owner to do it daily if the guest specifically requests
If it's industry standard now then who else is doing it? I haven't heard of this anywhere else, including at limited service properties.... Can you name any 3*+ properties in the U.S. that have implemented every other day (or less) housekeeping? Not doubting you, just like to know how prevalent this is...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bill gates' (owns ~50% of four seasons) investment guys allow Four Seasons to say 'we are not going to do daily housekeeping if you do not specifically request it' regardless of how high room rates are (near $1000 if not over $1000 per nt)

and i dont think it was every other day, it was not even that frequent, when you do not request daily

when that is the situation, what kind of auditing are they really doing in terms of whether the option is effectively being communicated to guests

and how many guests these days think its great because its 'saving environment '

or how many just dont bother asking, or dont pay attention to needing to ask

this is where industry is going in terms of catering to owners

re hyatt or others who publish whatever that is not daily - try asking for daily

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 16, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Given that this doesn't appear to be happening anywhere else in Hyatt (or at Hilton/Marriott/or even IHG/Wyndham/Choice) I am guessing that a) it's an experiment (that will hopefully fail), and b) it **might** be related to a labor shortage in Seattle (where I was born/raised). Seattle has a horribly high cost of living which makes it a pretty awful place to live for someone making even good wages as a housekeeper. The traffic from the burbs into Seattle is horrendous as well. Just a guess, but I suspect this might be the issue...
Single_Flyer likes this.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Dec 16, 2018 at 8:41 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does Seattle has its own minimum wage law? Are employers required to provide health insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation, etc. for all workers?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does Seattle has its own minimum wage law? Are employers required to provide health insurance, paid sick leave, paid vacation, etc. for all workers?
Yes. All the more reason this might be a Seattle specific issue.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
LOL! whoa that's a new low imo! I am not happy when i don't get turndown, so once every two days would make me scream bloody murder.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
When I check in to a hotel I typically tell them I will not need any housekeeping and hang the do not disturb sign on the door. At that point the room is mine and I can leave my crap about and not worry about it. That said, do people really need someone to make their bed for them ? or turn down the sheets ? Toss the covers back on and head out the door in the morning. When ya get back toss them back off. I will admit that when staying somewhere with water near by that having beach towels are a must. If I really need fresh towels they can be had but it is rare that there are not 2-4 towels in the room to start with.
jkjetsetters and notquiteaff like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
When I check in to a hotel I typically tell them I will not need any housekeeping and hang the do not disturb sign on the door. At that point the room is mine and I can leave my crap about and not worry about it. That said, do people really need someone to make their bed for them ? or turn down the sheets ? Toss the covers back on and head out the door in the morning. When ya get back toss them back off. I will admit that when staying somewhere with water near by that having beach towels are a must. If I really need fresh towels they can be had but it is rare that there are not 2-4 towels in the room to start with.
To each their own. I'd rather they ask every one proactively what they want at check in, note it in the wireless apps the housekeepers now use, and then just give you what you want (no housekeeping service), and give me what I want (full service). Money is saved when folks like you say "no thanks" and catering the experience to our different wants/needs is the **definition** of excellent service one should expect from a full service Hyatt property. Everyone's happy. Instead, people who want full service will be disappointed and there's already a negative review about this on TripAdvisor.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It depends on the location and hotel. PH Busan will do it twice a day. HR Tashkent seems to do it 3 times a day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.