AC agents upselling?

Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75k
Angry AC agents upselling?

I'm a 'middle feeder', regularly at 50k or 75k level and I don't post much but this has p***ed me off. I had booked flex flights YUL to UK, and I called to change the outbound overnight flight to the business cabin. I knew there were no change fees associated with that, and the agent confirmed this on the phone. There was plenty of availability as I was looking at the AC website and I knew I could do the change with a fare difference of $1,400. However, the agent said the fare difference would be $3,400. When I told her that I was looking at the website and could see the lower fare difference, she said that she couldn't offer me that. She suggested that I do a new booking with lowest business outbound and flex inbound to make sure the fare was still current, which I did and it was. Payment accepted and confirmation received. She still said that she couldn't offer me that fare. So I had the option of paying $2000 extra or a cancellation fee of $300 to cancel the original flex ticket - obviously I did the latter. I then asked aircanada through twitter and the customer care 'complaint' form why the agent could not book for me the fare published on the website. I quietly hoped to get the cancellation fee back. No luck: got boilerplate responses and in response to a further request for clarification I got "I know that your experience was not what you expected. We won't be providing you with any further feedback back on this topic but we assure you that we will continue to work hard to show you a better Air Canada".
So complete brush-off.
Does AC deliberately up-sell on the phone? Has anyone else had this issue? Am I likely to get a proper answer from AC?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be that some fares are only available if booking on aircanada.com.
Was that the expanation given?
canadiancow and The Lev like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
That isn't what upselling is.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:05 am

While you were on hold, you may have heard a message similar to "lowest fares are available at aircanada.com."
Not sure why agents can't sell some the lowest fares, but that is how AC drives traffic to it's website.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Can you share more details about your booking? Exact route, return flights, etc. Also, was this booked through a travel agent? That sometimes creates issues with fare differences.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So why didn't you do it on the website where you knew it was available?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Can you share more details about your booking? Exact route, return flights, etc. Also, was this booked through a travel agent? That sometimes creates issues with fare differences.
YUL-YYZ-FRA-BHX outbound, LHR-YYZ-YUL inbound, booked on the AC website.

RangerNS: isn't upselling inducing a customer to purchase more expensive items or upgraded items? Selling a seat in J for $3400 instead of $1400 is close to that definition, or a scam if the agent does indeed have access to the lower fare.

And more generally, why can't an agent always access *published* fares?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Another option is to hang up and call again. Sometimes the ability to find the correct care is agent-dependent.
lowmiles and Clipper801 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by chris-price
YUL-YYZ-FRA-BHX outbound, LHR-YYZ-YUL inbound, booked on the AC website.

RangerNS: isn't upselling inducing a customer to purchase more expensive items or upgraded items? Selling a seat in J for $3400 instead of $1400 is close to that definition, or a scam if the agent does indeed have access to the lower fare.

no that's not what upselling means.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:27 pm

Upselling is "would you like fries with that?"
Not your hamburger is $15 at the cash register, but at the kiosk it's $5.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC CC agents do upsell, but this is not upselling.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by chris-price
As @Stranger already answered because AC, like many companies, offers web-only fares. "Web only" is exactly what the name implies.

(I had exactly the same situation as you a couple of years ago and feel your pain - would be nice if in situations like this where you are upgrading an existing web reservation you be allowed to do so without change fee - either on the web or if the technology doesn't allow (which I suspect it doesn't, then by doing it with an agent).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anytime you believe that you are receiving incorrect information, ask the agent to explain exactly why it is that what you want can't be done and then politely end the call. Try calling back. Then ask for a supervisor.

In this case, you really needed to know whether the fare you found was web only. If it was web only, it is little surprise that the agent could not "see" it.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Now I"m going to sound like a noob, but where do you see if a fare is web only on the AC website? Fare conditions call it a 'business advance purchase'. Books into P.
And now for the fun of, I just did a fresh search for my itinerary, and the fare is now $200 cheaper than it was when I bought it !!! And I probably won't get fries with that (thanks tracon).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The website allows you to up-cabin bookings without a change fee.

I've used it numerous times. It's very convenient.
Diabeetus and DNAwizard like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.