Wiki Posts
Search

Is first class worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Is first class worth it?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are going on a much needed vacation from LA to Maui (6 hour flight) in March. It costs $250 more per person each way to fly first class. I was thinking about just doing it for the flight to Maui and booking coach on the return flight. Money is not the issue for me but more so the value. I heard that first class on Alaska Airlines is not impressive.

Do you think it is worth it?

Thanks,

Robert
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To me, the bigger seat and extra space is definitely worth $250 on a five hour flight. But you'll have to decide for yourself
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
This is incredibly subjective. If the money is really not an issue for you, then why not? On the other hand... what would impress you? Very few US carriers fly anything noticeably above the mean to Hawaii from the West Coast. (And when they do, it’s usually because they subbed in an internatially configured plane for ops reasons.)

The first time I took an old friend on a trip in AS F, she had never flown anything but no-extra coach, and she was very impressed. The last time my husband and I took our final, domestic leg after connecting from a Cathay First award he was... less impressed, but still happier than if he’d been in coach.

Alaska First is more expensive and more nice than coach. Whether $250 is a good value for more room in a better seat, a meal with a dessert, a digiplayer, and an always-full drink for 6 hours is a call you and your wife are going to have to make for yourselves.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by robert79
Money is not the issue for me
I think this points to a positive response.

If it were me, and I were only upgrading one way, I'd do it on the return (it's a late afternoon/evening flight).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think AS has great F but $250 is a reasonable upcharge if you can easily afford it.

I will usually go up to about $300 extra, each way (I make that trip a fair bit). I especially value F for the return trip (I usually take red-eyes so I like to sleep). But that's just me... totally your call.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalanMan
Very few US carriers fly anything noticeably above the mean to Hawaii from the West Coast.
Is UA the only one? (and not on all their flights)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is UA the only one? (and not on all their flights)
HA has lie-flats on their A330s.
VegasGambler and spamman808 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:18 am

If you’ve never tried first on Alaska, I’d do it so you have a solid datapoint for future flights. Personally, I don’t think it’s worth it. It’s more of a glorified economy+.
milypan and PaperGlider like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:10 am

Also worth noting that the first class ticket would get you lounge access at LAX, and 75% elite qualifying bonus miles... Not sure if you’re pursuing Alaska elite status.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:54 am

Probably not.
AS first class is not lie flat and quite forgettable.

Should try Hawaiian Airlines if money is no object.
I think they have lie flat seats on the USA to Hawaii route.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:18 am

I would say that's not worth the extra amount.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has answered the question. "Money is not the object." If it is not the object, F is better than Y. Whether it is worth the additional fare is a purely subjective matter which is "not the object".

All depends on how much you value your comfort.
JacksonFlyer and gmt4 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
In a 5+ hour flight with money being no object, why wouldn’t you upgrade?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by robert79
Do you think it is worth it?
I personally do not find the ex-VX F seats very comfortable for sitting in — the seat pan is really long (and I’m 6’ tall), so there’s basically no back support. So I generally would not pay $250 extra for it regardless of financial circumstances. But if you need extra legroom (I assume you don’t qualify for Premium seat upgrades) or, more importantly, width, then it’s probably worth it. The food and extra service are forgettable at best.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Honestly, I could care less if I were in coach or first class. I am a small guy and sleep like a rock so I would not notice the difference. I am only considering this for my wife. Both of us have only flown in coach in the past and I wanted to make this a special experience for her now that we have the means. I know the extra $500 for the both of us is not much but my frugality is the issue. I guess I will bite the bullet and book the flight.
bearsdidit and wabashabi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.