Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Delay on BA1489 (GLA-LHR) - Capt in the lounge

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold

Currently in the lounge at GLA waiting for my flight later and the earlier BA1489 departure apparently has a technical issue being looked at by engineering with a likely 1hr+ delay.

It was interesting to see the captain and the CSM come into the lounge to discuss it with all the pax and explain all the outcomes (could still be a fully tech aircraft etc).

I thought it was good touch and provided a lot of info to everyone. Nice move BA (even if it was one crew’s initiative)
ams2174, so3003 and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This is a long standing SOP for long delays, it doesn't happen often but this is one of the few circumstances when you will see cabin and flight crew in the lounge.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info, I hadn’t seen it before even on longer delays.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I hope they didn't take a bag of crisps on their way out.....
nivsy and BlueThroughCrimp like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:34 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is a long standing SOP for long delays, it doesn't happen often but this is one of the few circumstances when you will see cabin and flight crew in the lounge.
The other SOP is the sinking feeling you get when the captain comes and makes an announcement from the aisle Guaranteed to be at least 2 hours ground delay.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The other SOP is the sinking feeling you get when the captain comes and makes an announcement from the aisle Guaranteed to be at least 2 hours ground delay.
Yes indeed. As soon as you see someone with 4 stripes reaching for the phone and then facing the passengers you know it's not to wish you merry Christmas. Even worse if they have their hat and jacket on.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yes indeed. As soon as you see someone with 4 stripes reaching for the phone and then facing the passengers you know it's not to wish you merry Christmas. Even worse if they have their hat and jacket on.
"Well folks...."
ianwall, MrPrice16, DYKWIA and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
"Well folks...."
If playing Pilot Bingo, it helps if your card has the boxes "Good News" and "Bad News" on it. "Adrift" has already been noted, and there is also "short cut", "paperwork" and "talking to ATC" for a good strong hand.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
thats pretty cool. nice touch.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If playing Pilot Bingo, it helps if your card has the boxes "Good News" and "Bad News" on it. "Adrift" has already been noted, and there is also "short cut", "paperwork" and "talking to ATC" for a good strong hand.
I find that as soon as the word "slot" comes up, I know it's at least 30mins before we move.

M
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
“It seems my previous update was a bit optimistic and the <<insert problem>> is going to take a little longer to fix”

And PA usually finished with

“Thank you for your continued patience”
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
They always add in 'I know that some of you have connections and we will do our utmost to get you to your final destination as soon as possible.'
But nice gesture.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Never seen the point of the crew doing this! In delay scenarios I want options for getting to my final destination; details of the city of care being provided, and to know that the ground staff are visible and proactively dealing with all those things. Flight and most cabin crew can’t navigate through an airport without help and certainly not through the rules on EU261. Rebooking and connections are something they read out of a manual and what others do!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A few years ago we had a long delay out of Budapest (to LHR) due to ATC going belly-up in the UK. The whole crew appeared in the lounge and talked to all the pax there.

(arrived at LHR 20 mins before my BWI connection - which I missed; got booked on the next day's flight, but managed to rebook onto IAD on the last flight of the day...).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I see the flight got cancelled in the end did you get away on one of the others and I take it EU261 is due.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.