Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FA claims no food allowed off the airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond

Flying in Delta Comfort from SEA into AMS this morning, as usual (I never like to eat shortly before landing) I didn’t eat the breakfast pack. As one of the FAs was coming through the cabin to collect trash he saw me putting a wrapped and packaged muffin and yogurt into my bag to eat later. He held his hands out for these items and said “I’ll take those please.” I asked why and he told me that “the rules” state that no food is to be taken off the plane.

I thought this was amusing as I’ve never heard of such a thing, and in fact my seat mate told me about 5 minutes later that he gone to the restroom and had just seen the FAs in the SCO galley stuffing their own bags with leftover service food.....

as as far as I’m aware , EU customs regs don’t prohibit this type of item coming from the US.

Anyone have any insights to share here, or was this FA crazy or just having a bad day...?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Presumably you would have had to declare that you were bringing food into the US when you cleared customs. The muffin would probably have been ok, less sure about the yogurt. Regardless, it seems like that's up to CBP, not the FA to enforce, so I agree that the remarks were kind of strange.

Was your seatmate sure they were stuffing their own personal bags with food and not some sort of disposal bag?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
Presumably you would have had to declare that you were bringing food into the US when you cleared customs. The muffin would probably have been ok, less sure about the yogurt. Regardless, it seems like that's up to CBP, not the FA to enforce, so I agree that the remarks were kind of strange.

Was your seatmate sure they were stuffing their own personal bags with food and not some sort of disposal bag?
To be clear, I was flying from the US into the EU. And yes, my seat mate said there were 2 FAs loading up on cheese and other items, putting them into their purses in the rear galley.

It was very strange. I fly about 150k miles per year and this is the first time I’ve ever heard anything of the sort.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
To be clear, I was flying from the US into the EU.
Oops, my apologies, I completely misread it

It does sound pretty strange.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
FA is correct. You are not supposed to being in dairy products into the EU

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm
Statman likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: Delta PM
Right or wrong, I have brought my breakfast with me for the last 30 years with nary a word.

And whether the EU allows it or not, it's not Delta's job to enforce it.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect DL is rather sensitive to the issue after this recent event where the woman blamed DL for not telling her should couldn't take particular food items off the plane through customs --

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/23/woma...ms-report.html

I'm pretty sure this isn't some general policy on all flights and only applies on international flights where there are potential customs issues. Suggest folks lighten up a bit.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 12, 2018 at 4:01 am
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
FA is correct. You are not supposed to being in dairy products into the EU

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...l/index_en.htm
Well, you could take the muffin through the red channel at customs and see what the officer says if you're so inclined...

Given that the FA has stuffed their own bags with food, this is obviously not the explanation!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the OP is an actual transcript of what was said, it was inartful of the FA not to make it clear that the rule is not a DL rule, but an EU rule. If the language was a bit different, it would have been fine as the FA was correct about what the "rules say" then it's up to the passenger to figure out the risk tolerance issue.

On FT, if someone were nicked with the Yogurt, there would be a rant about how "DL failed to warn me that if I violated the law, I might be in trouble"
trooper and pbarnette like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
I suspect DL is rather sensitive to the issue after this recent event where the woman blamed DL for not telling her should couldn't take particular food items off the plane through customs --

I'm pretty sure this isn't some general policy on all flights and only applies on international flights where there are potential customs issues. Suggest folks lighten up a bit.
Believe there was also a similar incident recently (though not on DL) involving someone bringing airplane food through at SYD.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If the OP is an actual transcript of what was said, it was inartful of the FA not to make it clear that the rule is not a DL rule, but an EU rule. If the language was a bit different, it would have been fine as the FA was correct about what the "rules say" then it's up to the passenger to figure out the risk tolerance issue.

On FT, if someone were nicked with the Yogurt, there would be a rant about how "DL failed to warn me that if I violated the law, I might be in trouble"
But having the yoghurt with you is no problem at all - it's the failure to declare it that's breaking the rules. So until the passenger goes through the green channel, he or she has done nothing wrong whatsoever.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by LBJ

DL specifically made an announcement on this exact issue (And included Bananas by name) on approach into DTW last month, stating clearly that nothing served in flight could be taken into the country. They said 'into the country', not 'off the plane' - to make it clear its a customs issue, not a fetish for leftover food issue
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler

To be clear, I was flying from the US into the EU. And yes, my seat mate said there were 2 FAs loading up on cheese and other items, putting them into their purses in the rear galley.

It was very strange. I fly about 150k miles per year and this is the first time I’ve ever heard anything of the sort.

Let's start with your seat mate? Really he had nothing better to do then spy on the FA. But as we all know from the TSA the 'rules' for airline crews bear no resemblance to the "rules" for the rest of us

As for why Delta is enforcing the "rules". Perhaps to avoid the media backlash when someone gets caught?

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a20...rough-customs/

Then let's just consider WHY anyone would want to "import" that horrid stuff Delta serves. Maybe the authorities in AMS are trying to ban bad food?
Statman likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
But as we all know from the TSA the 'rules' for airline crews bear no resemblance to the "rules" for the rest of us
Thankfully, the TSA hasn't quite reached mainland Europe just yet.
SW7London likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duke787
Believe there was also a similar incident recently (though not on DL) involving someone bringing airplane food through at SYD.
Australia has very tight rules on bringing in food and is even more intolerant if you don't declare it. They can and do fine you for not declaring even OK foodstuffs that they find when they check your baggage.
Statman, fpmurphy and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.