Wiki Posts
Search

Rebooked due to misconnect - 1.5x EQM?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Rebooked due to misconnect - 1.5x EQM?

Pretty sure the answer to this is out there but was having trouble searching. I misconnected on Saturday (incoming flight was delayed) and was rebooked to a flight on Sunday morning. The miles just posted today and it looks like the new Sunday flight was booked in full Y and earned 1.5x EQM.

Was going to have to do a short MR to get to Platinum Pro otherwise so this is actually kind of a silver lining. Is the 1.5x EQM normal/expected or is it possible they'll reverse the EQM later?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by jcain
Pretty sure the answer to this is out there but was having trouble searching. I misconnected on Saturday (incoming flight was delayed) and was rebooked to a flight on Sunday morning. The miles just posted today and it looks like the new Sunday flight was booked in full Y and earned 1.5x EQM.

Was going to have to do a short MR to get to Platinum Pro otherwise so this is actually kind of a silver lining. Is the 1.5x EQM normal/expected or is it possible they'll reverse the EQM later?
No. The 1.5x EQM that posted are yours.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

It has been reported with some frequency that some members who have been rebooked due to off schedule operations (OSO) or IROPS have been booked into full Y (it was what was available and the Y was easier to book into) earning them 1.5 EQM per flown mile, though they had originally purchased a discount Economy Fare.

Consider it an unintended but welcome gift from the @SkyGrinch.
fotoflyer88 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've had this happen to me multiple times, not recently and not necessarily on AA, but it's not uncommon.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I've had this happen to me multiple times, not recently and not necessarily on AA, but it's not uncommon.
Yeah, this happened to me on UA a couple times some years ago but never seen it on AA before. Thanks, everyone!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I had some variant of this happen on 6 segments this year, across 4 itineraries. Four of those times were discount econ posting as Y; the other two I had EXP upgrades when the IRROPs occurred and they rebooked me directly into First (once in actual J, once in D). In all cases the earnings were correct for the rebooked fare bucket, not the one I originally purchased.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I've had this happen many times, enjoy it while it lasts, starting January 1, 2019, Full Y earns 1x EQM per mile flown. :-(
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donotblink
I've had this happen many times, enjoy it while it lasts, starting January 1, 2019, Full Y earns 1x EQM per mile flown. :-(
Hehe, yeah, that was my very first reaction to hearing about that change: "hmm...well, I've literally never actually bought a Y fare, but kinda sucks I won't get a random bonus EQM off IRROPs once in a while." This year that worked out to 1183 free EQM, so it's not a huge loss, but I'll miss the fun of trying to game IRROPs for extra points.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Happens to me 80%+ of the time my standby clears at the gate.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I had a schedule change last month and got re-routed. My original I fare that would have earned 2X miles ended up getting booked into full J, so I ended up with 3X miles on one of the legs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Report it immediately, as you would if they had shortchanged you EQMs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Happens to me 80%+ of the time my standby clears at the gate.
You mean just plain-old Same Day Standby for an earlier flight? Interesting if so.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Yep, I did LAX to MIA to Brazil, booked economy and used a SWU which cleared on both flights. The LAX to MIA flight was canceled due to maintinence, and the ExecPlatinum line rebooked me in LAX to JFK to Brazil in full-fare J for me because of the cleared SWU, so i got a lot more EQD and EQM
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rukes
Yep, I did LAX to MIA to Brazil, booked economy and used a SWU which cleared on both flights. The LAX to MIA flight was canceled due to maintinence, and the ExecPlatinum line rebooked me in LAX to JFK to Brazil in full-fare J for me because of the cleared SWU, so i got a lot more EQD and EQM
I had something like that happen to me, on an all-AA award business class flight from LAX to Europe, where my first flight to another AA hub was delayed to the point where my onward connection no longer met MCT, so AA rebooked me on BA J apparently at full fare to the same destination via London, and to my surprise I earned a bunch of EQM and EQD and RDM for that flight. (In fact, that's how I first noticed it, like "why does my RDM count look so much higher than I expect?" I'm LT Plat, and not chasing any annual status.)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
You mean just plain-old Same Day Standby for an earlier flight? Interesting if so.
interesting indeed since its happened 0 times for me. I have ended up with weird EQM during OSO though, sometimes a Y 1.5 bonus, sometimes it posts as a distance based vs fare based, costing me a few EQM. Usually it's a small amount either way, i let it go.

once I had a Op Up on MH post as full fare J to AA. That was nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.