Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Just moved to London: AA versus BA versus United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Having lived in San Francisco and traveling frequently to Denver, Fort Lauderdale and New York, I've been a 1K on United for several years. However, we just move to London and because United doesn't fly from London to Fort Lauderdale and only flies between London and Denver in the summer time, I'm rethinking where my loyalty should lie. I travel to Denver monthly and Fort Lauderdale every six weeks. BA (and AA code share) fly nonstop. UA requires a stop over.

However, it's really hard to give up the benefits of 1K (flight changes without fees, upgrades to business class, use of the United Club). I'm a lifetime AA Gold, but it really is BA who has the nonstop flights I'll use (as well as nonstop flights to other locations in Europe). Any thoughts on making the change? Would I be better as an AAdvantage frequent flier or BA Executive Club member? Do either do status matches or do I really need to start from square one.

Thanks.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Some people can probably answer this far better than I can but first of all BA do not ever seem to do status matches.

With your expected travel pattern getting to BA Bronze (equivalent to AA Gold/oneworld Ruby) should be very easy and silver (lounge access) would not be that difficult (especially if your LH flights are in J). I guess the real answer depends on how many AA miles you are sitting on, how long you will be in London for and how you would use the miles in the future.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
From what I hear, AA will offer a challenge to match UA 1k status.

The advantage of AA Executive Platinum aren't what they used to be (e.g. down from 8 to 4 annual SWUs), but they do let you redeem without paying fuel surcharges, which is a substantial plus over BA IMHO.

How close are you to million miler on UA? If you're anywhere close, I would recommend persevering until you get there, as it will give you lifetime UA Gold, which is a lot more useful than AA Gold in that it gives you lounge access. That, for when *A is more convenient, combined with earned AA ExPlat status for flights with BA and others, works well for me. Unlike *A, OW allows First Class lounge access for their top-tier elites, and that really makes a difference. But AA has an EQM requirement for international customers as well (and has just raised it), whereas UA does not. This may or may not be an issue depending on what kind of fares you travel on.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Dec 10, 2018 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long will you be in London for? For ever or some months/years?
What are your objectives with a ffp?
What is your travel profile? Flying mainly paid economy or business class?
USA & non USA airlines have vastly different approaches for (free) upgrades.
BA mid tier status will give lounge access on USA domsetic flights. AA does not.
BA does not have $$ spend requirements:- just distance & class determines status/earning
What do you use your ff miles/avios for? Upgrades, long haul business class, short flights?

Some BA vs AA vs UA linked here
General- Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
Oneworld:- Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here

Edit:- The OP's other thread on this topic in AA forum with good summary

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:21 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
it seems that first and foremost you want the status (you talk of benefits not mile accumulation) and OWE is especially valuable for the Y flyer (OWS is pretty good too), J (frequent) flyers get the status anyway, but don't need it as much as get the important lounge, check in benefits etc from just flying J.

If you are a Y flyer see which program gets you to OWE faster (on AAdvantage you have to flexibility of choosing BA or AA coded flights and each gives different returns to reaching status depending on which cabin you are. Flying PE makes a big difference)

So if you are flying PE, BA gives you a lot of EQD likely more than what you get for actually paying for the ticket (i.e. what AA gives you), If you are flying Y AA typically gives you full EQM, BA half EQM. Please note that AA has raised EQD level for EXP to 15,000

As you fly to USA a lot of value from your SWUs (as opposed to say London based, crediting to AA and flying a lot to Asia, can't use the SWUs)

Getting to OWS rapidly is important to enjoy the benefits while you reach OWE (I will tell you the galleries south lounge is just an amazing lounge for example, yes the F lounge is better but you are in a very good place already at OWS). AA may have a challenge to get you to Platinum (OWS) fast

If most of your USA domestic itineraries are part of international you get full lounge access anyway and don't need an Admiral Club membership.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by seaskybound
it seems that first and foremost you want the status (you talk of benefits not mile accumulation) and OWE is especially valuable for the Y flyer (OWS is pretty good too), J (frequent) flyers get the status anyway, but don't need it as much as get the important lounge, check in benefits etc from just flying J.

If you are a Y flyer see which program gets you to OWE faster (on AAdvantage you have to flexibility of choosing BA or AA coded flights and each gives different returns to reaching status depending on which cabin you are. Flying PE makes a big difference)

So if you are flying PE, BA gives you a lot of EQD likely more than what you get for actually paying for the ticket (i.e. what AA gives you), If you are flying Y AA typically gives you full EQM, BA half EQM. Please note that AA has raised EQD level for EXP to 15,000

As you fly to USA a lot of value from your SWUs (as opposed to say London based, crediting to AA and flying a lot to Asia, can't use the SWUs)

Getting to OWS rapidly is important to enjoy the benefits while you reach OWE (I will tell you the galleries south lounge is just an amazing lounge for example, yes the F lounge is better but you are in a very good place already at OWS). AA may have a challenge to get you to Platinum (OWS) fast

If most of your USA domestic itineraries are part of international you get full lounge access anyway and don't need an Admiral Club membership.
An excellent summary, but next year, AAdvantage EQM earnings in discounted Y on BA, IB, AY, and JL will be raised to actual miles flown, in parity with AA.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Your AA Gold is the equivalent of oneworld Ruby (https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...advantage-gold), so it doesn't do a lot. It will permit you business class check-in (but no lounge access and no fast-track) in equivalent BA terms.

If you don't have loads of AA airmiles then switching to BA would probably be most logical, assuming you're staying in the UK for 18 months or so and can quickly climb into Silver (600 Tier Points - which would be approximately two business returns from London to Fort L within the year). Even from within the US this Silver card is the equivalent of AA Platinum, thus lounge access is granted on relevant flights.

Reaching BA Gold (1500TP) is harder, without a lot of flying/some creative routing, which equates to AA Exec Platinum (minus the cabin upgrade request benefits). It doesn't do lots, frankly, although a notable benefit is the year after it elapses you'll get an additional year as Silver.

Departing out of the UK you'll struggle to reach AA's higher tiers on its programme due to the methods of earning, thus BA's simpler system is likely to be your best shout. Plus, while you're here, Europe is on your doorstep. Lots of reasonably priced flights to the continent to add life experience, adventures, and tier points...!

Last edited by mmxbreaks; Dec 11, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The OP mentions that one of the perks he enjoys most on UA are the "upgrades to business class" so I think that a number of posts above which mention acquiring status through J flights may be making a big assumption here.

Quite frankly, if you are flying J anyway, perks won't make a huge different to start with anyway, and if you are flying Y, then I would say that BA is your worst possible choice as you will simply never get any worthwhile status with your travel patterns unless your flights are in fully flexible travel classes, and UA and benefiting from your current status is probably your best option despite the less convenient routings.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
but they do let you redeem without paying fuel surcharges, which is a substantial plus over BA IMHO.
Not on BA reward flights, which is 95% of the award space TATL in a premium cabin.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Reaching BA Gold (1500TP) is harder, without a lot of flying/some creative routing, which equates to AA Platinum (minus the cabin upgrade request benefits).
Unfortunately not. AA Platinum equates BA Silver (OW Sapphire). And so does AA Platinum Pro, for that matter.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not on BA reward flights, which is 95% of the award space TATL in a premium cabin.
True. But AA fliers are no worse off than BA fliers in this regard, but they're better off with respect to non-IAG redemptions, if they can find them.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by mvogel
Having lived in San Francisco and traveling frequently to Denver, Fort Lauderdale and New York, I've been a 1K on United for several years. However, we just move to London and because United doesn't fly from London to Fort Lauderdale and only flies between London and Denver in the summer time, I'm rethinking where my loyalty should lie. I travel to Denver monthly and Fort Lauderdale every six weeks. BA (and AA code share) fly nonstop. UA requires a stop over.

However, it's really hard to give up the benefits of 1K (flight changes without fees, upgrades to business class, use of the United Club). I'm a lifetime AA Gold, but it really is BA who has the nonstop flights I'll use (as well as nonstop flights to other locations in Europe). Any thoughts on making the change? Would I be better as an AAdvantage frequent flier or BA Executive Club member? Do either do status matches or do I really need to start from square one.

Thanks.
I don't know that you're better off switching to BA as you're already lifetime gold - wouldn't you be better off going to lifetime platinum, eventually? Domestic lounge access would seldom be necessary for you it seems, and lounges in the states aren't that great anyway.

As far as UA goes, it is a good program out of London. The yearly net cost to do mileage runs to 1K is about ~2500 GBP and that gives you 6 upgrades. So even if you get halfway there it's easy to do a mileage run to top up to 1K.

Ultimately UA, AA or both is a decision you'll have to make but I hope you can get an idea as to what the cost/benefit would be for either. I'd also argue that AA platinum makes your experience out of LHR marginally better as the First Wing is really nice.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by thebigben
I don't know that you're better off switching to BA as you're already lifetime gold - wouldn't you be better off going to lifetime platinum, eventually? Domestic lounge access would seldom be necessary for you it seems, and lounges in the states aren't that great anyway.
Good point. And the OP will get access do domestic lounges when on international itineraries

As far as UA goes, it is a good program out of London. The yearly net cost to do mileage runs to 1K is about ~2500 GBP and that gives you 6 upgrades. So even if you get halfway there it's easy to do a mileage run to top up to 1K.
Also a good point. Although a discount economy EQM run for UA status would have to be on UA metal, whilst starting in January, an AA status EQM run can be on AA, BA, IB, AY, or JL metal (if you have the EQDs).

Ultimately UA, AA or both is a decision you'll have to make but I hope you can get an idea as to what the cost/benefit would be for either. I'd also argue that AA platinum makes your experience out of LHR marginally better as the First Wing is really nice.
Sorry to be pedantic, but for that you'll need Executive Platinum, which requires 100k miles per year (Platinum is 50k miles and OW Sapphire).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
True. But AA fliers are no worse off than BA fliers in this regard, but they're better off with respect to non-IAG redemptions, if they can find them.
Assuming you ignore the fact that many UK residents have 2-for-1 Amex vouchers, so pay far fewer miles per person than AA for TATL. One also pays much lower taxes AND miles for short-haul rewards within Europe.

There are also only a handful of airlines where BA would pass along surcharges, but AA don't.

I have nothing against AAdvantage and use it myself, but apart from Etihad rewards, it isn't nearly as useful for a European resident as BA.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
having moved to LON from SFO three years ago--i came over as an AA concierge key/ex plat and luckily had a one year period of status where i was then switching over to BA to attain gold. so not quite your same situation.

that said, my family are in DEN (where there is year-round service) making the DEN-LHR flights convenient. and with multiple daily services to NYC and california (where i primarily must go for work) so for me BA/AA work quite well under the BA program.

the only tricky part for you is FLL which should be manageable on BA/AA via CLT or PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.