Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan listing old/poor carry on limits in their emails to passengers

Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

EDIT - (First) Email was from Aeroplan. Not AC.

Can’t seem to find a master thread for this. Just had this from AC, the kg limit appears to be new - nor does it appear on the AC website as near as I can tell, just says light enough to store overhead unassisted. It also lists 10kg for both...

Carry‑on baggage allowance

Standard article
10 kg (22 lb.)
Max size L x W x H
55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm
(21.5 in. x 9 in. x 15.5 in.)

Personal article
10 kg (22 lb.)
Max size L x W x H
43 cm x 16 cm x 33 cm
(17 in. x 6 in. x 13 in.)

Last edited by jc94; Dec 10, 2018 at 1:51 pm Reason: FT broke formatting
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I should have known this, but what was the weight limit previously?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Where did you get the information below? On the website, it says:
  • Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted.
Originally Posted by jc94
Can’t seem to find a master thread for this. Just had this from AC, the kg limit appears to be new - nor does it appear on the AC website as near as I can tell, just says light enough to store overhead unassisted. It also lists 10kg for both...

Carry‑on baggage allowance

Standard article
10 kg (22 lb.)
Max size L x W x H
55 cm x 23 cm x 40 cm
(21.5 in. x 9 in. x 15.5 in.)

Personal article
10 kg (22 lb.)
Max size L x W x H
43 cm x 16 cm x 33 cm
(17 in. x 6 in. x 13 in.)

Last edited by Jebby_ca; Dec 10, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
So, they changed from 10kg (22 lbs) to "light enough to store overhead unassisted" in February 2017 (FT link where we discussed the changes: Enhancement to carry-on baggage rules - Feb 2017. )... why are they going back?

Enforcing either size restrictions or # of items would be enough for them to accomplish what they need.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Where did you get the information below? On the website, it says:
  • Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted.
I’d like to know this, too... the wording on my most recent booking confirmation from 3 days ago matches the language from the website.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
my understanding was we had moved from a weight limit to no weight limit provided you could get the bag in the overhead yourself.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Before boarding the plane, each passenger should demonstrate that they can clean and jerk their heaviest carry-on, followed by overhead pressing it at least twice from the clavicles.
ffsim and flyquiet like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:53 am
Original Poster

This is an email I got about last minute info for my trip. The website remains unchanged.
Didn’t get one of these for my last AC trip.

The orange link also goes to a 404.

Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Before boarding the plane, each passenger should demonstrate that they can clean and jerk their heaviest carry-on, followed by overhead pressing it at least twice from the clavicles.
I demonstrated this ability with a half-dozen nearby seatmates’ bags on AC16 last week
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MQS007
my understanding was we had moved from a weight limit to no weight limit provided you could get the bag in the overhead yourself.
Right. Also, 5 mins after said email above I got another email about my new travel options where it helpfully says this...Carry-on BaggageOn flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express, you may carry with you in the cabin 1 standard item (max. size: 23 x 40 x 55 cm [9 x 15.5 x 21.5 in]) and 1 personal item (max.size: 16 x 33 x 43 cm [6 x 13 x 17 in]). Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted. See our complete carry-on baggage policy.

That being the link I had already googled for which says nothing about weight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jc94

Right. Also, 5 mins after said email above I got another email about my new travel options where it helpfully says this...Carry-on BaggageOn flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or Air Canada Express, you may carry with you in the cabin 1 standard item (max. size: 23 x 40 x 55 cm [9 x 15.5 x 21.5 in]) and 1 personal item (max.size: 16 x 33 x 43 cm [6 x 13 x 17 in]). Your carry-on baggage must be light enough that you can store it in the overhead bin unassisted. See our complete carry-on baggage policy.

That being the link I had already googled for which says nothing about weight.
OK, so the text you provided in your OP is from an email? Looks like it’s, just an outdated template. Thankfully

Edit: I (obviously) didn’t see the screenshot you shared... thanks for that ^
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Yup from an email.

I’ll report back if anyone tries to weigh my likely single sub 10kg bag!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Was there another carrier involved? Some other carriers do have a weight limit.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim

OK, so the text you provided in your OP is from an email? Looks like it’s, just an outdated template. Thankfully
But was that e-mail from AC, or some other source involved in the booking? It does not look like any e-mail I receive from AC.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
But was that e-mail from AC, or some other source involved in the booking? It does not look like any e-mail I receive from AC.
I hadn’t seen the screenshot before I made that post. You’re right; it doesn’t look like an email from AC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.