Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How does RM know when they screw up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Last night, a flight for today was J5R1.

A friend confirmed an upgrade, bringing it to J4 R0.

Two of was figured we'd book full J this morning if we woke up on time.

We woke up and it was J1 R1.
​​​​​​
It remained that way until departure, where they cleared one gate upgrade for a total of about 7 upgrades.

I was obviously not able to book J2.

RM is probably thinking "we had to do a gate upgrade, so we had no chance of selling J".

Whereas if they hadn't upgraded so many people, I would have booked two last minute full J seats.

So how do they ever reconcile this? How would they determine that they could have made more money by not upgrading people ahead of time?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Probably easier for them to know when they don't screw up given the rarity of it.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:02 pm

Your evidence that RM screwed up in this case is not persuasive.
bawm and Often1 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Unless two full J seats are sold every morning on this route, RM did nothing wrong.
Unless you phoned RM the night before and said we might buy two J seats in the morning, RM did nothing wrong.
The computer did what the historical algorithms told it to do.

The alternative would have been a thread about battleground upgrades when the flight was J9R0.
bawm likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy
Your evidence that RM screwed up in this case is not persuasive.
7 upgrades given out such that I couldn't buy full J? I think that's pretty persuasive.

But regardless, the overall question remains, independent of this example. How do they know when they've screwed up?

This is not the first time I've seen a flight wide open in Y with tons of cleared upgrades, but I couldn't buy J because they'd "cheapened the cabin" (to use their own words).

I have no way of signaling that I wanted to buy two seats, so they have no idea they left money on the table.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tracon
Unless two full J seats are sold every morning on this route, RM did nothing wrong.
Unless you phoned RM the night before and said we might buy two J seats in the morning, RM did nothing wrong.
The computer did what the historical algorithms told it to do.

The alternative would have been a thread about battleground upgrades when the flight was J9R0.
But that's exactly my point. Historical algorithms said they wouldn't sell 2 J day of departure, so they upgraded such that it was impossible to sell 2 J.

And now we see again that they didn't sell 2 J day of departure.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you fill the cabin with upgrades because you don't sell last-minute J, then you can't sell last-minute J. And since they don't sell last-minute J, they might as well fill the cabin with upgrades, right?

There's no feedback in this loop.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Isn't the way of signaling that you might want to fly full J on a certain flight to buy a full J ticket?

After all, you could always cancel it for a full refund if you want to.
jc94, qrctraveller, bawm and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Isn't the way of signaling that you might want to fly full J on a certain flight to buy a full J ticket?

After all, you could always cancel it for a full refund if you want to.
That was my question to. Isn’t the purpose of full J to buy a ticket you might want to cancel for a full refund?

AC RM is not prophetic, they’re normally overly protective of giving free upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:31 pm

delete
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:58 pm

What was the full J fare on that route? What was the equipment?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by jjclancy
What was the full J fare on that route? What was the equipment?
Since I was on it (and was one of the many e-ups) I can tell you it was a 321. Dunno about the fare though.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The question is more clearly stated as:

If it is mechanically impossible to sell something, is it possible to accurately detect demand for that thing when the availability of that thing is reasonably available and one-off negotiations are neigh impossible?

Logically, that is impossible.

How many pairs of J tickets do they sell at T-24? How many trips, how many quads?

I would assume they do the occasional A/B testing, holding back eUp clearing until the last minute and seeing what the open market holds. There is some schedule for clearing eUps which is more complex then "at the gate". "At the gate" would leave the opportunity for more sales, but apparently sooner than that has some value to AC. (honestly, as someone who eUps to much personal comfort, I'm not sure I'd do anything different if upgrades took until check-in cut off time to process). That must be an open question and one of at least ongoing water cooler debate, I'm sure. Some informal A/B testing would not take that much effort - only the interest and will of shared senior management of the eUp and RM groups.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I though the long complaint on this board was R0 when J<1. "The R Games" wasn't a long running thread for nothing. This has to be the first time I have heard AC being criticized for being too generous with making R space available.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have no way of signaling that I wanted to buy two seats, so they have no idea they left money on the table.
This is not true at all. Full J always allows wait listing, which is just one of the ways you can signal to RM that you want a seat.

bawm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bawm
This is not true at all. Full J always allows wait listing, which is just one of the ways you can signal to RM that you want a seat.

bawm
Are you saying you can buy two J tickets for a flight that’s J1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.