Skyteam flights/Connection time

Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Skyteam flights/Connection time

Hi,

I am currently trying to book a flight to LHR. I have found the cheapest biz fare (I) to get there is a RT from MEX on aeromexico. It is still the cheapest skyteam option for me with adding a positioning flight from BNA. my question is two fold

1) is there no way to book aeromexico directly on DL?
2) if i have two separate reservations - BNA-MEX then MEX-LHR - will I get caught up and questioned in MEX customs or is this not uncommon and shouldnt be an issue?

I just want to make sure i am not going to run into any snags. I figure i could connect the reservations after the bookings, but I just wasnt sure if anyone had experience with this as the BNA-MEX would be bookd on DL and then the MEX-LHR leg would be booked on aeromexico.com

Thanks in advance for your help with this!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I cant speak to specific SkyTeam policies, but linking separate tickets has no material effect at all, and does not afford you protection if you no-show to your LHR flight. Remember that you dont have a connection.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I cant speak to specific SkyTeam policies, but linking separate tickets has no material effect at all, and does not afford you protection if you no-show to your LHR flight. Remember that you dont have a connection.
Gotcha.

So if i book them separately my main concern is customs going through MEX - i am assuming since they are separate reservations i will have to exit and then recheck my bags and go through security again since when i check my bags in at BNA - they would just be through to MEX. then same when i come back through.

Is there no way i could go about booking this all together? just seems ridiculous that i can't get the flights to show up for their partner airline on either DL or AM website.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:16 am

Have you tried calling DL to see if they can book it? If they can't, it's possible that it may not be a legal connection. I don't know what the transfer process is in MEX and whether it is possible to connect on one ticket without entering and exiting MEX.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newguy2321
Gotcha.

So if i book them separately my main concern is customs going through MEX - i am assuming since they are separate reservations i will have to exit and then recheck my bags and go through security again since when i check my bags in at BNA - they would just be through to MEX. then same when i come back through.

Is there no way i could go about booking this all together? just seems ridiculous that i can't get the flights to show up for their partner airline on either DL or AM website.

Well I can find the DL flights for the BNA-MEX portion on AM but when i try and do a multi city booking it won't populate as an option. If i called would they be able to do this as one reservation? anyone know anyway for me to get this to be booked as one ticket to avoid as much headache as possible connecting thru MEX?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Have you tried calling DL to see if they can book it? If they can't, it's possible that it may not be a legal connection. I don't know what the transfer process is in MEX and whether it is possible to connect on one ticket without entering and exiting MEX.
That's going to be my plan. I'll call and see. I find it interesting that the direct MEX-LHR flight wont show up on DL site at all when i complete the search though.

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......So if i book them separately my main concern is customs going through MEX - i am assuming since they are separate reservations i will have to exit and then recheck my bags and go through security again since when i check my bags in at BNA - they would just be through to MEX. then same when i come back through........
Correct. MEX Customs may take some time but not really a big deal. Just hope you get a green light.

........Is there no way i could go about booking this all together? just seems ridiculous that i can't get the flights to show up for their partner airline on either DL or AM website.
You can get a TA to book it manually. An experienced TA, not a random Expedia phone agent, can manually piece together more than one fares in one PNR. i.e. One PNR with two tickets. That doesn't help you, however, in case of irregular operation but helps with connection. You can also try to get a TA to manually price it as one ticket but it is likely to be expensive.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Few carriers any longer will willingly ticket a ticket which does not at least involve a segment they operate, typically the first segment. That is why MEX-CDG on AM does not show up on DL. DL has the ability to ticket this and you should try calling DL to arrange this. It may take some doing and a few calls, but it should be possible.

Very unlikely that Mexico immigration or customs worries particularly about your routing. If you are asked, simply tell the truth. Many people schedule international positioning flights to save money so it is odd and easily explained if questioned. As always, it makes sense to print out hard copies of your e-ticket receipts showing your outbound ticketing arrangements. (You may also need those at BNA before DL boards you).

Your risk here is, of course, that you are not connecting and therefore connections times are irrelevant. If your BNA-MEX flight is cancelled and delayed, you are completely at AM's mercy and your AM ticket may be reissued for a later flight or you may be required to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices, all depending on the fare rules for your ticket and whether you happen to run into a sympathetic agent. For this reason I would suggest booking an overnight at AM or at the very least 4-6 hours at MEX in order to account for routine delays.

Reservations cannot be "linked". All DL does is make an entry in the PNR notes with the AM e-ticket number. That won't matter on this travel.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Few carriers any longer will willingly ticket a ticket which does not at least involve a segment they operate, typically the first segment. That is why MEX-CDG on AM does not show up on DL. DL has the ability to ticket this and you should try calling DL to arrange this. It may take some doing and a few calls, but it should be possible........
DL can ticket MEX-LHR on AM manually but it may not be at the lower fare which OP is trying to book. Many lower fares require plating on host ticket stock.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Few carriers any longer will willingly ticket a ticket which does not at least involve a segment they operate, typically the first segment. That is why MEX-CDG on AM does not show up on DL. DL has the ability to ticket this and you should try calling DL to arrange this. It may take some doing and a few calls, but it should be possible.

Very unlikely that Mexico immigration or customs worries particularly about your routing. If you are asked, simply tell the truth. Many people schedule international positioning flights to save money so it is odd and easily explained if questioned. As always, it makes sense to print out hard copies of your e-ticket receipts showing your outbound ticketing arrangements. (You may also need those at BNA before DL boards you).

Your risk here is, of course, that you are not connecting and therefore connections times are irrelevant. If your BNA-MEX flight is cancelled and delayed, you are completely at AM's mercy and your AM ticket may be reissued for a later flight or you may be required to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices, all depending on the fare rules for your ticket and whether you happen to run into a sympathetic agent. For this reason I would suggest booking an overnight at AM or at the very least 4-6 hours at MEX in order to account for routine delays.

Reservations cannot be "linked". All DL does is make an entry in the PNR notes with the AM e-ticket number. That won't matter on this travel.

Thanks for the help, I am going to try and get DL to ticket it all together and that way i wont be on separate reservations. but yes, that would be my main concern as i have run into that issue multiple times in the past when combining award reservatinos from multiple outlets. So my goal would be to go to DL with the flight info BNA-ATL-MEX-LHR and return specifics in hopes they can ticket it as one ticket and avoid and potential headache from cancelations.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
DL can ticket MEX-LHR on AM manually but it may not be at the lower fare which OP is trying to book. Many lower fares require plating on host ticket stock.

That's great to know, will keep that in mind during my call with them.

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since no one else has mentioned it, I can't imagine going that far out of the way just for a J seat to LHR. You could save a bunch more money by just flying C+ from the east coast. Fares out of MEX don't really seem all that much cheaper either. 60-day advance Z-fares out of ATL are available from $3900 roundtrip and it looks like there's a special in the middle of April for $2900 roundtrip.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Since no one else has mentioned it, I can't imagine going that far out of the way just for a J seat to LHR. You could save a bunch more money by just flying C+ from the east coast. Fares out of MEX don't really seem all that much cheaper either. 90-day advance Z-fares out of ATL are available from $4K roundtrip and it looks like there's a special in the middle of April for $2900 roundtrip.

Appreciate the thought, I have a short business trip - 5 nights or so. and am able to book in biz based on pricing. The dates are hardset for me and the while it does go far out of the way, the extra MQMs are also intriguing. however i struggled to find flights that fit my short window of travel that would compete with the price of the AM flight (~$4100 RT in I). I can pair a $800 positioning route to get me to MEX from BNA and still do better than most other routes. I belive i can find quite a bit in that range on virgin out of NYC but wouldnt mind a longer TATL to be able to actually sleep on the route over.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks for the help, I am going to try and get DL to ticket it all together and that way i wont be on separate reservations. but yes, that would be my main concern as i have run into that issue multiple times in the past when combining award reservatinos from multiple outlets. So my goal would be to go to DL with the flight info BNA-ATL-MEX-LHR and return specifics in hopes they can ticket it as one ticket and avoid and potential headache from cancelations.
Be very clear in your terminology with DL, AM, or a TA. "Reservations" are irrelevant. You need the same tickets. Once you have priced the tickets, then you have to make a determination as to whether there is a substantial savings in separate tickets, even if booked into the same PNR.

If you are not familiar with these processes, it may well be worthwhile to pay an experienced TA (not one of the OTA's) to look at the options. There will be a fee for the research, but it may be that you are putting yourself through a lot for small savings.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appreciate the thought, I have a short business trip - 5 nights or so. and am able to book in biz based on pricing. The dates are hardset for me and the while it does go far out of the way, the extra MQMs are also intriguing. however i struggled to find flights that fit my short window of travel that would compete with the price of the AM flight (~$4100 RT in I). I can pair a $800 positioning route to get me to MEX from BNA and still do better than most other routes. I belive i can find quite a bit in that range on virgin out of NYC but wouldnt mind a longer TATL to be able to actually sleep on the route over.
I see your post in the MR forum. For what it's worth, if you simply shift your return date from 2/8 to 2/9, you can get VS UpperClass for $3K from BOS, $3.6K from JFK/IAD, and $3.8K from ATL. The 2/8 Friday return does not meet the 7 day min stay/Sat-Thu return requirements for DL/VS Z fares. The 2/9 return does. MEX-LHR is somewhat longer than ATL-LHR, but it's not exactly a huge difference. With the MEX routing, you can't get home until 2/9 with a 2/8 departure anyway (since the AM LHR-MEX flight is a red-eye). Just seems like you are creating a whole lot of additional pain for yourself with very little additional gain.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 21, 2018 at 9:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.