Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hotel Vouchers for Elite Status during IRROPs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

Hey all, I’m new to Gold and had an interesting experience tonight at DTW.
IRROPS put us in too late tonight and I missed my connection (as did 90% of the plane). Was first in line at the Gate for a voucher- GA said they had nothing at the Westin. I asked about just paying out of pocket and submitting for reimbursement through Delta.
GA suddenly asked if I had status. When I told him I did, he pulled out his cell phone and called some number, telling them he had an “Elite 2” and gave some codes. 30 seconds later, I magically had a a Westin voucher. Anyone else have experiences like these? It seemed to be a recognized thing on the other end. Definitely happy about it!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, very good. You lucked out. Even at the contracted rates DL would pay, I would guess that the Westin is much more expensive than most airport hotels at DTW.

If the original cause of the delay was mechanical (and DL didn't try to categorize it as weather or whatever if weather became an issue after the delay started, etc.), then DL should be paying for hotels and modest meals, etc., but it's likely to be closer to a Motel6 than the Westin Gateway at DTW.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Yeah, I was really surprised, especially since I’m only Gold.

For point of reference, i *did* call the Westin before I even made it to DTW and I was sitting in my original location asking about space availability. The Westin did say they had “voucher available space” if I needed it when I arrived. So when I asked and was told “no” initially by the GA, I was a bit surprised; hence the reason I asked about just getting a room reimbursed.

My “lucky” day, if you don’t count the 3.5 hr tarmac delay for hydraulics... 😁
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Congrats, pianoman, I would say that's an outlier! But it definitely helped that the Westin had room.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: Skyteam
It helps to voice out. Nice to hear GM was taken care of .
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wow, very good. You lucked out. Even at the contracted rates DL would pay, I would guess that the Westin is much more expensive than most airport hotels at DTW.

If the original cause of the delay was mechanical (and DL didn't try to categorize it as weather or whatever if weather became an issue after the delay started, etc.), then DL should be paying for hotels and modest meals, etc., but it's likely to be closer to a Motel6 than the Westin Gateway at DTW.
It's always a plus to mention your "elite status" i.e. Gold when in these types of situations....unlocks a few doors not otherwise available to non-status passengers.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I have been given hotel vouchers a few times during weather IRROPS.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's not just IROPs - it's Delta mechanical IROPs. The domestic contract of carriage establishes responsibility for overnight accommodations.

However, when a passenger’s travel is interrupted for more than 4 hours after the scheduled departure time as a result of flight cancellation or delay on the date of travel other than from force majeure, Delta will provide the passenger with the following additional amenities during the delay: (a) Hotels If overnight accommodations are available at Delta contracted facilities, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher for one night’s lodging when the delay is during the period of 10:00 pm to 6:00 am. Delta will provide free public ground transportation to the hotel if the hotel does not offer such service. If accommodations are not available, Delta will provide the passenger with a voucher that may be applied to future travel on Delta equal in value to the contracted hotel rate, up to $100 USD.

Do I think higher status passengers (or those in paid premium cabins) get better hotels? I think there's a lot of postings in this forum to support that contention.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL's practice is not different than many carrier's. Taking care of premium cabins and elites is part of the value proposition. The DL COC policy is especially stingy. If you do wind up having to pay on your own, all you are getting is $100 in funny money.

My guess is that this is not a big expense item to DL. Negotiated rates are dirt cheap and many business travelers are being reimbursed so don't even wait in line for a voucher, so simply head for a hotel.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes, elites get better hotels. Recently I went to SC to get a hotel. They called their line and told them this was for high value customer. Instead of the low end, got a high end hotel.

I've also gotten vouchers when it was weather related delay. According to agent we get them regardless.

AS for reimbursement, I've never been denied full cost as long as it was a normal room I booked. Ie don't book the presidential suite and expect DL to cover it.
MSPeconomist and SDQBound like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Had a similar situation last year. I approached the frazzled-looking agent a bit sheepishly and she basically told me to pound sand, as she was at the end of a long shift and was being inundated by 200+ angry pax. I sympathized with her, but she wasn't having any of it. Once she loosened up just a bit she asked for my BP, so I showed her my phone. Once she saw I was a DM her entire demeanor changed and, suddenly, I went from persona non grata to king of the universe. She apologized for her attitude, which I accepted and continued to sympathize with. It went from "Sorry, I can't help you, you're on your own." to a nice room at the Westin DTW.
Spiff, CO-PLAT, SDQBound and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Had a similar situation last year. I approached the frazzled-looking agent a bit sheepishly and she basically told me to pound sand, as she was at the end of a long shift and was being inundated by 200+ angry pax. I sympathized with her, but she wasn't having any of it. Once she loosened up just a bit she asked for my BP, so I showed her my phone. Once she saw I was a DM her entire demeanor changed and, suddenly, I went from persona non grata to king of the universe. She apologized for her attitude, which I accepted and continued to sympathize with. It went from "Sorry, I can't help you, you're on your own." to a nice room at the Westin DTW.
The DTW WESTIN seems to be held for HVC. I've been told no rooms there by GA. Ask at SC, and they looked horrified that agent didn't call and ask since am HVC. Quick call and me and two others had rooms there instead of Wyndham. Apparently they keep inventory zeroed out in their system so that HVC/D1 get rooms there instead of them going on 1st come/served basis.
MSPeconomist and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Back when physical FF cards were used more frequently, my SOP for IROPs rebookings at the airport and just about any other situation at the airport when I was trying to fix something, change something, or request a favor was always to hand over the FF card on top of the relevant boarding pass or other documentation. It served as a subtle reminder of my top tier status which was harder to ignore than just the line on the boarding pass and avoided having to say with emphasis what my status was.
tentseller and dtwtransport like this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is no surprise that a bit of honey goes a long way. Even if the situation is 100% caused by the carrier and was 100% avoidable, getting into an argument with a front line agent is juvenile. Even comments such as "you'd think DL would know how to fix a flat tire on a plane" don't change the situation. But, starting the conversation with that assures you a middle seat next to the lav on the worst available routing.

Sometimes the situation can't be fixed and the best isn't good enough. But, those situations are far more rare than what someone who is motivated to help can find if the motivation isn't taken away.

People are their own worst enemies.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
That is nice!

Last year I was doing a particularly awful trip of JFK-BNA-JFK that morphed into JFK-DTW-BNA-DTW-JFK, wherein I misconnected due to IRROPS both directions times.

The first time was clear wx, but I was given a hotel voucher (not to the Westin!) as an exception, which was great. I credit that to being nice and cheery to the people working the airport, who were getting screamed at by other people as I was chatting with them.

On the way back it was just due to a late inbound aircraft to BNA. Expecting to miss my connection (I did), and that there wouldn't be anything else available, I went ahead and booked a cash + points rate at the Westin in DTW (I believe it was $250 + 5k SPG points?) and went right there.

The next day I wrote DL and asked for at least the cash portion of it back, if not cash + SM to make upper the SPG points. Two weeks later a check written out to me from Delta for $250 cash and 15k SM were deposited in my account. Not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.