Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for hard case that fit CX's Carry On requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,

I recently found that CX's carry on requirement is probably the smallest. At 56×36×23cm, only the smallest Rimowa would fit the description.

I try to do research for luggage that would fit, and there aren't that many hard cases. Does anyone have a favorite that they would bring?

I am not sure how flexible CX's flight attendants are towards a few CM's (usually it is the width). It seems that business class or above have a heavy allowance but not the dimensions.

TIA for your recommendations.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:12 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by HKUSFLYER
I am not sure how flexible CX's flight attendants are towards a few CM's (usually it is the width). It seems that business class or above have a heavy allowance but not the dimensions.
They're not known to measure; however, with the new 3-4-3 Economy seating, oversized rollaboards in the back will not be appreciated.

Can I ask whether you will be travelling Economy much?

Also, if yes, can I convince you to check your rollaboard in? CX doesn't have HBO fares yet, but I understand some passengers habitually prefer to avoid queuing for baggage claim (but as someone who habitually prefers to check in, this is a tragedy of the commons problem for me)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Well I do most of my travel either Y or PEY class, but it probably doesn't matter as the overheads are pretty much the same.

There are many advantages of not checking in the carry-on luggage. Except avoiding the queue at baggage claim, the chances of my luggage being lost will be eliminated. I will also extend the life of my luggage by at least 3 times, given how "gentle" my cases are handled checked-in even with fragile sticker on.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:28 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
So far never had problem with Delsey Belford Plus 55cm luggage. But it's a bit larger than the size restriction OP quotes.

maybe the travel gear forum can advise better.

CX is generally easy with carry-on limit.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Can't think of any outports that strictly/continuously enforce hand baggage limits, maybe except Japan? I use a standard 'IATA' rimowa - with some sort of status, even on carriers like AA it won't be an issue.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: jeweledgolfclub
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Can't think of any outports that strictly/continuously enforce hand baggage limits, maybe except Japan? I use a standard 'IATA' rimowa - with some sort of status, even on carriers like AA it won't be an issue.
Japan is fine, OZ is strict, HKG security does the dirty work.

AND I use MUJI for the wheel lock

Last edited by jeweled golf club; Nov 19, 2018 at 1:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.