Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > San Francisco
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Next Week - Would you avoid due to air quality?

Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold

I'm supposed to be in the San Francisco area next week (personal travel). I'm hearing a lot of warnings from friends, but it's a family event that I don't really want to miss.

I plan to buy a mask and stay indoors as much as possible. What do those of you in the area think?

Thank you!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta, United
I would go and use a mask. Just get the right mask BEFORE you leave: https://www3.epa.gov/airnow/smoke_fi...ection-508.pdf

Also take clothing that you can easily wash when you get home.
onetess likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by onetess
I'm supposed to be in the San Francisco area next week (personal travel). I'm hearing a lot of warnings from friends, but it's a family event that I don't really want to miss.

I plan to buy a mask and stay indoors as much as possible. What do those of you in the area think?

Thank you!
I think that if the projected rain comes through by Wednesday, we'll go from having some of the (currently) world's dirtiest air to having some of the cleanest. Other than avoiding outdoor activities, or wanting to see famous views, there's no reason to avoid the area unless you are a severe asthmatic.
onetess, Gino Troian and DrAlex like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can keep track on the airnow.gov site.

Red is pretty unpleasant to be in at all, Orange can be tolerable if you're not sensitive and stay indoors and don't go outside and exercise. My girlfriend's mom left the bay area for PDX on friday because the AQI was up around 300. She's not in a particularly sensitive group, but that kind of air is just plain bad.

If the advertised rain shows up as already mentioned, it would be fine.

Definitely get masks before you go (and bring them as gifts). You probably won't be able to buy one anywhere in the bay area - there's even a lag to get them on Amazon.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
It was decent in SF yesterday and today due to early morning fog. Should be better by Wednesday with rain coming in.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
agree - get masks BEFORE you arrive! You may need them depending on which part of the city you are in.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Unhealthy air to plague Northern California until rain arrives Tuesday

That being said, we also bought N95 masks from Lowe's before our flight on Thursday, just in case.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Definitely get masks before you go (and bring them as gifts). You probably won't be able to buy one anywhere in the bay area - there's even a lag to get them on Amazon.
It doesn't help that Amazon's Sacramento facility has been closed because of the air quality.

But air quality today seemed a lot better than Saturday, and I'm seeing the AQI under 200. I walked a couple of miles without a mask & I wouldn't have done that yesterday.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The moon was white tonight in Oakland and Berkeley. Not even a tint of reddish glow.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:11 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator note: Please follow the thread as it moves to the San Francisco forum.
There is ongoing air quality discussion found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/san-...l#post30422862
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I'd be more worried about stepping in the poop myself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.