Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC - BOM award flights in December - help, please

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

NYC - BOM award flights in December - help, please

guys - i need some overall advice on not just etihad through AA bookings but overall. Given I'm going to book a flight in peak season in early Dec in business, what are my best options outside of etihad which shows no avialabiity in early dec. These are the programs where I have points/miles. My last resort is simply chase UR to book through their travel website

citi thankyou, chase UR, spg, amex MR, delta, jetblue

Thx!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
What other searches have you done?

Peak season award tickets at this point? I am not sure if it's possible unless you can snag the absolute last minute release.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - i need some overall advice on not just etihad through AA bookings but overall. Given I'm going to book a flight in peak season in early Dec in business, what are my best options outside of etihad which shows no avialabiity in early dec. These are the programs where I have points/miles. My last resort is simply chase UR to book through their travel website

citi thankyou, chase UR, spg, amex MR, delta, jetblue

Thx!
QR via DOH, and CX via HKG would both be valid NYC-BOM award routings using AA miles. Availability is another story.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by guv1976
QR via DOH, and CX via HKG would both be valid NYC-BOM award routings using AA miles. Availability is another story.
There's also the dread BA option, not that anyone would recommend it. But if you have to go, it is what it is.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

tried all of the above except BA because of taxes. How about the other programs I've listed. So far I thought up marriott to emirates/JAL but they have very high fuel surcharges. Is the citi thankyou travel center worth using to book flights (no 1.5 like chase reserve though)

Thx
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Any other forums you recommend cross posting into
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
usually folks just arbitrarily break the rules by cross-posting - nice of you to ask first!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Well considering what the FT rules say about cross-posting...

(hint: don't)
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

(if you do, they will all get deleted/locked)

If you can find an availability even with a higher fuel surcharge, you should go with that, because availability for December at this point? To India where everyone goes in December? I wouldn't count on it.

The only thing I can think of is booking Ethiopian using UA miles that goes from Newark -> Abidjan -> Addis Ababa -> Mumbai, and that's probably only thing left at this point if you want J.

Qatar? Emirates? Forget about it.

Last edited by samwise6222; Oct 17, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Early December(before 10th) is not super peak for US-India. Anything after that will be hard at this point, even in Y. Last year, I managed to get Etihad using AA miles for 14th Dec on this route 2 days before the flight. If you can, book anything available on AA OW partners and upgrade to J if anything opens up closer to departure.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is about securing possible awards with a number of instruments the OP possesses, it has moved to the Information Desk forum for broader input.

Old Oct 18, 2018, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It’s all about the availability. We can’t change that.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It'll be extremely difficult to find availability from US to India in mid-late December. I was checking NYC-DEL for a trip and nothing came up (although the reverse was available). An option, could be to look our for F space on Lufthansa 14 days out, and if it becomes available book it with United or Aeroplan points. This is of course a risk as nothing may open up. You could also check SQ 'advantage' level award availability (you'll need an SQ account do this as SQ doesn't show up on any other airlines' award search engines). It's unlikely you'll find 'Saver' level availability, but 'advantage' may just be available. You can easily transfer to SQ from the cards you have.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:01 am

You can use Lifemiles to book Egyptair Business class from JFK with 1 stop in CAI. I see some availabilities in early December.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
If you have access to any AA miles, make sure to look at Etihad—availability can be fantastic, even during peak times. It’s complicated to search and book, so make sure to read this thread:
Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.